Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
And how do you get through the boring task of proofing your ARs reliability by firing 500 jam-free rounds without doing mag dumps?
Private property? Not being smart- but there has go to be places you can go to do that. We're blessed here- there is National Forest all around me. That's normally where I hear the rapidfire.

I've never, not once, heard anyone do a mag dump at the formal range here. All we deal with is hot brass flying.

Back in WV? Yeah- it was really common to run across folks rapid firing. Basically the unsupervised range near my house became untenable for other shooters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Private property? Not being smart- but there has go to be places you can go to do that. We're blessed here- there is National Forest all around me. That's normally where I hear the rapidfire.

I've never, not once, heard anyone do a mag dump at the formal range here. All we deal with is hot brass flying.

Back in WV? Yeah- it was really common to run across folks rapid firing. Basically the unsupervised range near my house became untenable for other shooters.
The hunting club on our family owned 500+ acres has asked us not to target practice on that land. The nearest public land is 40 miles away. The nearest outdoor range is on that public land, and that is where I do ammo dumps on the weekdays. It is an unsupervised range, so I just leave when the idiots show up. Sometimes we just drive 50 miles the other direction and shoot on that unsupervised public range.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
The hunting club on our family owned 500+ acres has asked us not to target practice on that land. The nearest public land is 40 miles away. The nearest outdoor range is on that public land, and that is where I do ammo dumps on the weekdays. It is an unsupervised range, so I just leave when the idiots show up. Sometimes we just drive 50 miles the other direction and shoot on that unsupervised public range.

Truly, what does an unaimed mag dump prove that just firing aimed rapid fire does not? As to testing reliability I have set my AR up on a bench with 30 round mags and fired them all at a 200 yard target rapid but not uncontrolled and if the rifle digested every round I'm a happy man. Then I go check the target. Mag dumps are actually kinda silly. The purpose of shooting is hitting. An AR or equivilant rifles reliability can be checked without aimlessly spraying ammunition.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:17 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Truly, what does an unaimed mag dump prove that just firing aimed rapid fire does not? As to testing reliability I have set my AR up on a bench with 30 round mags and fired them all at a 200 yard target rapid but not uncontrolled and if the rifle digested every round I'm a happy man. Then I go check the target. Mag dumps are actually kinda silly. The purpose of shooting is hitting. An AR or equivilant rifles reliability can be checked without aimlessly spraying ammunition.
Exactly correct, take this link for example:

At the range with the FN PS90

This was not a magazine dump, the rifle would have been able to shoot as fast as I could pull the trigger. But you can more than keep on target, and only take about 1 second or so per shot, and have very good results.

In this case firing only 25 rounds was half of the magazines total capacity, but if I had added the other 25 rounds to the magazine, my target would still look the same, just more of the same holes in it, and most likely the same spacing. so it would of have 50 round in the head.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:37 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Well that's unfortunate. I guess I'm blessed.

I can go out and set up steel and shoot 600-1000yds all day long.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:11 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
Quote:
And who said it was an unaimed mag dump?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:51 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
And who said it was an unaimed mag dump?

The term "mag dump" implies uncontrolled firing. Just pointing in a general direction and cutting loose. Unaimed and mag dump are terms that go together.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 PM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
Quote:
Absolutely truth ! Even when shooting full auto I’m always trying to shoot controlled small bursts of 3-5. The only time I’ve ever really shot a long stream it was more of a belt dump then a mag dump and even then I was trying to hit a particular thing in a certain pattern.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:58 PM

625 posts, read 792,344 times
Quote:
The term "mag dump" implies uncontrolled firing. Just pointing in a general direction and cutting loose. Unaimed and mag dump are terms that go together.
It is only "uncontrolled" to those who lack training. If you learn to shoot f/a it can be very accurate. Here I am in my back yard with a 7" 5.56 and as you can see it is VERY stable.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
I thought that was suppressive fire... or just plan old rock and roll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting