Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 12:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

The proper pistol grip seems vulnerable to accidental release/eject of the magazine.

The hand goes right over the button. Its never happened to me. But it just occurred to me, that it may happen due to position of hand. Anyone hear of any stories. With the Euro style release, or the paddle on the trigger guard, this cannot happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylh4DyMADRU
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 07:39 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
My grip isnt “perfect” as with an arthritic thumb in my left/off hand, I end up over-gripping a bit with my right. Doesnt affect me most of the time; but one of my 22’s (a SW Victory) on a rare occasion will release a mag. I just pay attention and tweak my hold slightly and it then is fine. Never has happened with any of my 9’s, so just write it off as my altered grip and that model just dont mesh 100% of the time

Old 06-01-2020, 04:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The proper pistol grip seems vulnerable to accidental release/eject of the magazine.

The hand goes right over the button. Its never happened to me. But it just occurred to me, that it may happen due to position of hand. Anyone hear of any stories. With the Euro style release, or the paddle on the trigger guard, this cannot happen
Improper grip can bring on all sorts of malfunctions in semi-auto hand guns including failure to feed and failure to eject (AKA "limp wristing").

Recently I have found also complaints in a gun forum regarding the safety trigger mechanisms in some modern firearms where if you don't grip it firmly, and in turn try to engage the trigger at the wrong angle, the trigger will not move. I wish I can remember the details, it was in regards to a new Springfield model and this one idiot put up a youtube video proclaiming it as a gun defect: "look at this, trigger won't engage if I grip it wrong" - the only thing was the video showed it also not working with a glock (which was quickly disregarded in his video like it never happened). Anyways the thread started in XD forum, got a ton of hits, and moved to AR15.com forum. Such is the nature of the internet. Mostly nonsense but it indeed does display the importance of proper grip.

I've never had an issue with magazine release but, on that topic, one thing I really don't like with the ruger design is the magazine disconnect safety - the model I have doesn't work if magazine is disconnected. I think the first day after I purchased it was striped it down and removed that magazine disconnect safety feature.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 2,053,213 times
I've carried a pistol ever since I was 17 y/o... When I joined the Army and served on tanks. Afterwards, in law enforcement.... In 40 years, I've never had a grip on a pistol that cause me to accidentally drop the magazine.

Not claiming to be an expert, but I do have some qualifying experience to say if you accidentally drop the magazine with your grip, it's a poor grip.

...If that's a problem with somebody, they should buy a revolver.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,854 times
Never had a problem, never even heard of it as a potential problem until now. Given the number of pistols out there with the 'traditional' mag release and the fact that somewhat esoteric stuff gets unearthed (P320 failed drop test) pretty easily these days, I can't imagine that something that has the potential for being wide spread would have gone unnoticed for this long if it were really even a remote issue.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:20 AM

12,945 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Well, improper grip in a big bore revolver can result in a thumb or finger getting blowtorched & shredded.

A few Youtube videos around that vividly illustrate it.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Hmm...if I hold my Glock that way, more than likely I will eject the magazine. I just rest the grip on my left hand while holding the grip with my right hand, keeping my thumb away from the eject button.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:53 PM

10,716 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Hmm...if I hold my Glock that way, more than likely I will eject the magazine. I just rest the grip on my left hand while holding the grip with my right hand, keeping my thumb away from the eject button.
This kind of grip?

Old 06-06-2020, 12:35 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
This kind of grip?
ONe of the best shows ever.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:18 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I've carried a pistol ever since I was 17 y/o... When I joined the Army and served on tanks. Afterwards, in law enforcement.... In 40 years, I've never had a grip on a pistol that cause me to accidentally drop the magazine.

Not claiming to be an expert, but I do have some qualifying experience to say if you accidentally drop the magazine with your grip, it's a poor grip.

...If that's a problem with somebody, they should buy a revolver.
Said it better than I could cause I would have used some terms not allowed.

Basically the same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting