Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 09:30 AM

441 posts, read 968,848 times

Advertisements

Hi..

So my hubby and I are traveling this holiday season from Arizona to Virginia then down to Mississippi and home. Since all this unrest has started and will probably escalate after election possibly I am thinking seriously about taking my small personal carry.

We can carry here without a permit however in looking at different states gun laws which we will be traveling through, I would need to keep gun locked in a case as our SUV does not have a trunk, so why brother right? At this point I do not have time to obtain a CCP from Arizona.

The travel gun laws are very confusing. I did see there are "travel thru" laws based on the gun laws of the state your headed to?

Any suggestions as to where I can look for more detail state gun laws without having to join an organization?

Finally any personal stories to what you might have experienced on a police stop while carrying.

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 09:50 AM

4,582 posts, read 5,714,645 times
Post Peaceable journey under FOPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
The travel gun laws are very confusing. I did see there are "travel thru" laws based on the gun laws of the state your headed to?
The Federal "peaceable journey" law (FOPA) was supposed to clear this up -- if you are legal in your source/destination state and store a firearm unloaded and locked up in the trunk, states along your path aren't supposed to be able to mess with you. It's not clear how overnight stops play into FOPA.

Be aware -- Cook County, Illinois and large parts of New Jersey and New York (especially the Port Authority of NY&NJ) are prone to ignoring FOPA and persecuting traveling with firearms. The rest of Illinois is actually pretty good about non-residents crossing IL with a handgun, the state has a good "travel thru" law.

Quote:
We can carry here without a permit however in looking at different states gun laws which we will be traveling through, I would need to keep gun locked in a case as our SUV does not have a trunk, so why brother right? At this point I do not have time to obtain a CCP from Arizona.
You can possess a handgun without a license in AZ and in VA, so that satisfies FOPA.

You can carry concealed in Arizona and Mississippi without needing any license, and open carry in Virginia, and transport loaded in your car in Virginia. Depending on your route, you might need to unload and lock up before entering certain states.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 10-29-2020 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 11:47 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,034,330 times
Quote:
Hi..

So my hubby and I are traveling this holiday season from Arizona to Virginia then down to Mississippi and home. Since all this unrest has started and will probably escalate after election possibly I am thinking seriously about taking my small personal carry.

Any suggestions as to where I can look for more detail state gun laws without having to join an organization?

Finally any personal stories to what you might have experienced on a police stop while carrying.

Thanks..
I got my out-of-State AZ Concealed Weapons Permit in less than 30 days. I think you should have time to get one.

Based on the link below, traveling through the states that recognize AZ CCW permit is straight forward. You should not have any problems.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/az-gun-laws/

Old 10-29-2020, 05:01 PM

966 posts, read 1,357,022 times
AZ is a constitutional carry state, no permit or permission is required. only requirement is you must be legally able to own a firearm.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
AZ is a constitutional carry state, no permit or permission is required. only requirement is you must be legally able to own a firearm.
Hi..well aware of our gun rights here in Arizona, traveling across country is a different matter as we are spoiled here.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I got my out-of-State AZ Concealed Weapons Permit in less than 30 days. I think you should have time to get one.

Based on the link below, traveling through the states that recognize AZ CCW permit is straight forward. You should not have any problems.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/az-gun-laws/
Well we are leaving now in two weeks, don't think I can get certified and approved by then. I had a Virginia CCP which expired 5 years ago so don't think that qualifies as documentation to speed things up.

Based on the map you supplied I would be ok as the states we are passing through would honor an Arizona CCP.

So I guess I really need to look at the individual states we are going through and see if it is worth the trouble and concern to take my gun.

Thanks..

Old 10-29-2020, 05:53 PM

[quote=Nonesuch;59529708]The Federal "peaceable journey" law (FOPA) was supposed to clear this up -- if you are legal in your source/destination state and store a firearm unloaded and locked up in the trunk, states along your path aren't supposed to be able to mess with you. It's not clear how overnight stops play into FOPA.

Be aware -- Cook County, Illinois and large parts of New Jersey and New York (especially the Port Authority of NY&NJ) are prone to ignoring FOPA and persecuting traveling with firearms. The rest of Illinois is actually pretty good about non-residents crossing IL with a handgun, the state has a good "travel thru" law.

Oh yes I know all about the northern states, staying the hell out of them.

Well it is a little late for me to get a CCP here in Arizona in time of our leaving which might be more protective based on another poster info.

So...guess I will have to look more closely at the states we will be entering like New Mexico and Arkansas in route to the others to see if it is worth the drama.

Thanks..

Old 10-29-2020, 06:27 PM

7,521 posts, read 4,397,309 times
Quote:
Hi..

Thanks..
It's a shame that you didn't get a CCP here in Arizona. If some of the states that you are traveling through require their residents to have a CCP then you may have problems if you don't have one from your home state. As there would be no reciprocity agreements. In other word's if the state's require their residents to get a permit they sure as hell are not going to allow non residents to carry or possess without one. If all of the states that you are traveling through were Constitutional Carry states such as Arizona then obviously you wouldn't have any problems. Unfortunately many are not.

That's the main reason why I have one here in Arizona, for reciprocity. While it may be perfectly legal to travel through some of these states providing that your firearm is unloaded, locked up and inaccessible to you. Hopefully you won't get stuck somewhere as you never know who may come along with nefarious purposes in mind. That's the time when you'll wish you had immediate access to a loaded weapon. If you were to use that weapon to defend yourself you could be in violation of that particular state's laws and be charged.

You also have to keep in mind that even if you have an Arizona permit and reciprocity you have to abide by the state that you are traveling through's gun laws. Some state's have high capacity magazine restrictions that you should be aware of, things like that. I believe that New Mexico only allows you to carry one gun on your person as per NM CCW statutes 10.8.2.16 -License terms and conditions.

The other thing that you have to deal with is that some state's do not have state preemption laws. Which means that individual counties and municipalities can enact their own gun laws that are more restrictive than the state's. Unlike here in Arizona. Although that may not be an issue as long as you stay on the interstates or state highways and are just passing through. Just like on the Indian Reservations in Arizona.

I had a New York State CCP and the only handguns that I was allowed to carry were those that were registered to me and listed on my permit. My wife also had to get a permit if God forbid she didn't have one and used one of my handguns to defend herself even within our own home she would be charged with the illegal possession of a weapon. If we both had our own separate handguns we could only handle the guns that were registered to us as individuals. Hence we both had the same handguns listed on both of our permits.

When we moved to Arizona I rented a box truck and traveled across the country. The cargo area was isolated from the driver/passenger compartment my handguns were in a locked case in the cargo area. When we stopped for the night I retrieved my handguns from the truck and brought them into the hotel while they were still in a locked case. As I did not want to take the chance of someone breaking into the truck and stealing them.

If it were up to me the entire United States would have the same Constitutional Carry laws as we have here in Arizona. As none of these asinine gun laws who's sole purpose is to entrap and criminalize otherwise law abiding citizens do absolutely nothing to prevent criminals from obtaining guns. We already have thousands of laws that address the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms along with thousands of laws that address every conceivable crime that one could possibly imagine. WE DON"T NEED ANY MORE LAWS PERIOD!!!

As long as an individual meets all of the legal requirements for possessing a firearm as listed on Form 4473. We should be free to go about our business just about anywhere throughout the entire United States with only a few exceptions* while carrying a firearm. *The same exceptions that we have in Arizona.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-29-2020 at 06:46 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 06:55 PM

7,521 posts, read 4,397,309 times
The other thing that travelers should be aware of is that what's legal today may not be tomorrow. As the laws do change from time to time. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to know and keep up with all of the Federal gun laws let alone all 50 state's and the thousands of municipalities throughout the entire United States.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:15 PM

10,642 posts, read 12,224,771 times
The sticky wicket is that even if states allow an Arizonan with an AZ CCP to cary in their state -- you don't have the CCP.

So you'd need a state that would let a non-resident with NO CCP at all, from anywhere, carry in their state.

IF there is such a state you're definitely more likely to find it in the South or West. But I don't know which state that would be...and likely not enough of them along your trip to make it worth the bother.

ETA: have you tried: usconcealedcarry.com...click your state (or any state)....look up reciprocity....and then permitless carry.(I believe it's a uscca related site.)

Last edited by selhars; 10-29-2020 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting