Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 09:01 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,292,037 times

Advertisements

So a friend of mine, seasoned hunter, and I went in for a lottery on a controlled turkey hunt. Next month I'm getting getting my feet wet for the first time with hunting.

I'm not into trophy hunting so if I bag one, it will be consumed.

20 gauge turkey shot is a hunt all on its own!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 10:49 AM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
Well to correct a misconception here - hunting for a "trophy" and consuming the meat are not by any means mutually exclusive. Now if you want a full body mount of a turkey, to start with the usual head shot with a tight choked shotgun is going to mess up the head. Maybe a good taxidermist can work around that.

I'm not really into hunting turkeys so not certain about how to handle one if you want a mount.

But good luck anyway and if you don't care about a trophy nobody says you need to care.

Good that you have an experienced mentor available, that helps a lot.

You may want to bring some wet "baby" wipes to clean up after dressing out (think positive!). Depending on where you are, a cooler to bring home the turkey (or two coolers if both of you score) might be worth having. IMHO a lot of what some people call "gamey" taste is simply where the hunter didn't dress out carefully and contaminated the meat, and/or didn't get the meat cooled down promptly enough.

Again good luck and enjoy!

Old 04-23-2022, 12:14 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,770,851 times
Awesome! Go grab a gobbler and let us know it tastes!

Old 04-24-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well to correct a misconception here - hunting for a "trophy" and consuming the meat are not by any means mutually exclusive. Now if you want a full body mount of a turkey, to start with the usual head shot with a tight choked shotgun is going to mess up the head. Maybe a good taxidermist can work around that.

I'm not really into hunting turkeys so not certain about how to handle one if you want a mount.

But good luck anyway and if you don't care about a trophy nobody says you need to care.

Good that you have an experienced mentor available, that helps a lot.

You may want to bring some wet "baby" wipes to clean up after dressing out (think positive!). Depending on where you are, a cooler to bring home the turkey (or two coolers if both of you score) might be worth having. IMHO a lot of what some people call "gamey" taste is simply where the hunter didn't dress out carefully and contaminated the meat, and/or didn't get the meat cooled down promptly enough.

Again good luck and enjoy!
I've heard about the gamey taste, lucky for me that my husband eats anything!

Since I'm an RSO and pistol instructor, baby wipes are a staple in my car.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Awesome! Go grab a gobbler and let us know it tastes!
Thanks neighbor, any 20 gauge led shot for turkeys up your way home

Old 04-24-2022, 07:46 PM

You need some 20ga loads?

Sportsmans Whorehouse had some shotgun loads in Helena last week, but it's a crap shoot. I'd grab some #4 shot with a full choke and make sure Tommy Gobbler is 40 yds and let 'er eat!

Last edited by Threerun; 04-24-2022 at 08:19 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
You need some 20ga loads?
Preferably lead for turkey. Being a new venture, I'm borrowing a friend's 20 gauge. He's got a turkey choke for it, but as I took a closer look yesterday, its' lead shot only. A quick call to him and I learned I can use the modified choke with the steel, the only turkey shot I can find here.

Using the modified I had a tight pattern, but it would be so much more solid, at a decent distance, with the lead and turkey choke.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:13 PM

You should be able to find some 4 or better in lead somewhere. If you were closer I could certainly help you out.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:52 AM

Quote:
You should be able to find some 4 or better in lead somewhere. If you were closer I could certainly help you out.
I've been hitting my big shops; Cabela's, Sportsman's, the regional places Al's and Cal Ranch...nothing. Tempted to call down the road an hour and see what the local shops have.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:01 AM

With the cost of fuel I'd consider mail order unless I was traveling to buy a case or something. Somebody somewhere is sitting on a box or two you could use. Any local trap clubs in the area? Maybe call someone there, explain what you need and see if a member can scrounge up a box or two for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting