Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 10:33 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,692,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The results were really amazing. All Leupold scopes tested failed, and failed miserably. All Vortex scope failed, and failed miserably. In fact most scopes failed, and failed miserably. Zeiss- same.

When you say "failed" what does that mean exactly? Did they actually break or just need to be re-zeroed? While being accurate is quite important there are other factors in what makes a good scope good. Often the animals show up in dim light and light gathering and clarity are pretty important too.

I can bang guns around out in the field too. If I'm worried about it, I will take the time to set up a target and see if it is still hitting where I want it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 10:36 AM

19,863 posts, read 22,764,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
lifetime warranty on leupold scopes, transferable. If can't be fixed, they offer a newer scope for free.
Yes I know. One of the reasons I have 5 of them. However I'm hard on gear and if it doesn't work when I need it to I've wasted a season.

Like I posted I have what is considered one of their top shelf scopes- a Mark 5. It doesn't hold zero when dialing elevation back and forth. I don't hunt with that scope- it's on a steel banger. Still having a $2,500 aiming device not work is cause for me to look elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:48 PM

50,481 posts, read 47,229,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
lifetime warranty on leupold scopes, transferable. If can't be fixed, they offer a newer scope for free.
Just make sure you keep your receipt somewhere. I know.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

19,863 posts, read 22,764,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
When you say "failed" what does that mean exactly? Did they actually break or just need to be re-zeroed? While being accurate is quite important there are other factors in what makes a good scope good. Often the animals show up in dim light and light gathering and clarity are pretty important too.

I can bang guns around out in the field too. If I'm worried about it, I will take the time to set up a target and see if it is still hitting where I want it to.
I suggest you read that thread and the testing methods. Fail to return to zero after drop tests. Or shift from zero after traveling. I have a scope that loses zero after dialing elevation at the range.

When I’m on a hunt and crawling up and over coulees I don’t have time to stop and ‘set up’ a target to check zero and then blow everything out within a square mile. I want the most durable, repeatable aiming device I can afford.

I really recommend reading some of those findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting