Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 PM

728 posts, read 1,782,758 times

Advertisements

Carry a DSLR Camera and they wont notice any bulge you may have. Go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
I made a fanny pack for my Model 58 S&W with a six inch barrel. To make it legal for open carry I put a special plexi-glass panel 1" x3" in the front part of it that reveals part of the barrel.. The weapon is visible through the plexi-glass so it is not concealed by legal definition. However 99% of the general population can look at it and not even know it is actually a pistol.

GL2

Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
For some reason (which I don't suppose is mine to question) a lot of my posts were deleted for being OT. Ok, I can live with that...and no doubt some of them were...however one of them answered the good question about why I would reject a "fanny pack". Welllll, I guess it could be an irrational notion on my part. On the other hand, sometimes fanny packs almost advertize one is carrying (at least in pro-2nd ammendment states like Texas). Also, I think they would look silly on me. Or me with them, perhaps! LOL

Thanks again y'all, for all the good leads on where to look and shop!

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-23-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
nice, deleting posts in an "off topic" kind of forum, for being off topic. we were discussing the points and validity of carrying firearms.. but they can't control IndenturedServants rampant ignorance and racism.

Mtac comptac will be my next holster purchase, along with a double belt from filson. tuckable IWB holster and a good belt, should hide my pt145 pro just fine, and another for my g30 with crimson trace and i'll be good to go, anywhere, anytime

Old 05-25-2010, 04:41 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there can guide me in the right direction. I obtained my concealed carry permit a while back and am looking for a place which sells good quality concealed handgun clothing. Particularly vests with an inside "holster pocket" and others for extra clips, etc.

Strangely enough, no business in my hometown carries anything along these lines, so I am searching on-line. Can anybody provide a good site to visit and/or testimonials to a particular style/model of the vest?

Thanks for any suggestions/advise!
This isn't a vest but works nicely in colder weather. It comes in handy when you are on a bike and need to carry.
Milwaukee Men’s Classic Jacket

Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
For some reason (which I don't suppose is mine to question) a lot of my posts were deleted for being OT. Ok, I can live with that...and no doubt some of them were...however one of them answered the good question about why I would reject a "fanny pack". Welllll, I guess it could be an irrational notion on my part. On the other hand, sometimes fanny packs almost advertize one is carrying (at least in pro-2nd ammendment states like Texas). Also, I think they would look silly on me. Or me with them, perhaps! LOL

Thanks again y'all, for all the good leads on where to look and shop!
Well, that was me. (if my post was deleted, it seems to have been restored. At least I can see it) I have one fanny pack that will carry a small pistol or revolver, it's not all that obvious and around here (PNW) you do see people using fanny packs who are probably not packing. Depends on what's popular where you live. A lot of photographer's vests are considered "stereotypical CCW wear" to the point that criminals will figure you are an off-duty cop if you are wearing one, up to the point of "shoot you first".

In Houston in the summer, it's hard to conceal in the kind of clothing that is cool enough that it does not stand out, much less be comfortable.

Hawaiian shirt over some sort of belt holster, or even fanny pack, might work.

Depending on how you are built, a fanny pack may or may not work well.

It's important to practice with the entire CCW outfit. If you have a good IPSC outfit, shoot with your usual CCW outfit. You can cheat and use reloads, but keep the power level realistic. Back in Idaho I used to shoot with a bunch of IPSC guys who emphasized the "practical" side, and they encouraged us to show up in some sort of concealment outfit, both so we would practice what we would actually use, and so as a group we would find out "what works". Damn I miss that bunch.

You can of course get yourself a timer, go out to a formal or informal range, and have at it, but it's just better to have a real IPSC shoot. IMHO anyway.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Check out Scottevest. They have some pretty nice looking things. I've been considering one jacket in particular, because the design is clean and would work with a modern urban wardrobe pretty well (my opinion).

Tactical_Concealed_Carry_Clothing.shtml

Don't rule out other non-tactical clothing either; I have a couple of pieces of outerwear that have ample storage for different sized things. A lot of modern outerwear has pockets for electronics, which often have useful sizes in good locations.

Once it gets warm out things get more challenging. I am very thin and lightweight, yet I manage to wear clean, current fashions while still concealing. Experiment with locations and different clothing. I've found some colors are better than others, as are some fabrics for shirts. I can do preppy and modern looks, without being obvious. Obviously, it doesn't work under everything; you have to work at it. Most importantly, you have to find what works for you. Your physique, your styles, your guns, and your preferred positions for carry, are all a factor. The laws also play a part (Texas requires that it is not "discernible" when concealed).

My personal opinion on carrying in fanny packs, as well as fishing and photographer type outerwear, is that it kind of suggests you have a gun. That's just my opinion. Obviously the possibilities increase if you are out hiking or backpacking. I periodically use a messenger bag ("man bag" or "man purse") when I'm going to be out for the day or a weekend. It's convenient for the car, or when hauling my laptop or some other things around. There are a lot of compromises to consider.

Anyway, good luck. You might want to also try one of the forums that deal with CCW/CHL questions and tips, for more information.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:49 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The laws also play a part (Texas requires that it is not "discernible" when concealed).
This, this is called 'printing' and is a felony, at least here in florida. Be careful

Old 05-30-2010, 11:52 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
+1 on Coronado Leather....

also try ccwbreakaways, superb product!

we are carrying both in our store.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
My buddies and I like these Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster for summer carry! Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur Spartan Holster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting