Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 AM

7 posts, read 79,714 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I have a small patch of hair that will not stay down no matter what I do... unless I use a bunch of products that create a lot of dandruff or dust.

This has been a problem with me for the past 4 months, and its getting really bad/worse.

I have a small patch of hair in the mid/rear right side. My hair is short. But no matter what I try, or how I go through it, or how I wet it, I cannot get it to just go down. I can't figure out what direction it wants to go in. And every single morning, I'm wasting 20 MINUTES just on this one patch of hair, and it still won't stay down. This morning it was so bad that I spent 50 minutes and I gave up. That patch of hair is almost down, but it just wants to curve up. My hair is naturally straight. If I was to shake my (very short) hair (as a dog shakes after getting wet), then - BAM - it sticks right up again.

In the past 4 months, here is what I have tried:

I tried getting 2 hair cuts in the past two months. That didn't work.
I tried switching combs/brushes. That didn't work.
I tried splitting the patch of hair into two different directions. That didn't work.
I tried doping water on it as I go through it. That didn't work.
I tried using different temperatures of water. That didn't work.
I tried brush/comb then hand-pat then repeat the two for like 20 times. That didn't work.
I tried getting washed and letting water soak in for various times, between 2 and 20 minutes. That didn't work.
I tried switching shampoos. That didn't work.
I tried switching soaps. That didn't work.
I tried getting washed at different times of the day. That didn't work.
I tried using a towel less. That didn't work.
I tried moving my bed to the other corner of the room. That didn't work.
My hair is short, but even then I've already snapped 2 of them because they get into knots!! How does that happen??
Hair spray produces A CRAPTON of dandruff and also generally doesn't work even after 3 applications.
Hand sanitizer also produces A LOT of dust but at least its weight keeps my hair from sticking back up.
The best I've been able to get is to keep going through it as it dries and then just get it down as best as I can. The problem is then as soon as I put on a shirt, it goes through my hair as I put it on, and that messes up everything, and I have to do it all over again. Same goes for the hood on my jacket.

I really have no idea what else to do and now it's gotten so bad in the morning that my scalp is bleeding every morning when I go through it and it won't stay down. I need to use a quality anti-dandruff shampoo because for the past year, I've developed a substantial amount of dandruff.

This is driving me nuts! What is going on? Why is my stupid hair not staying down like it was before this nightmare began? There must be a simple solution for this!

Also, I found this forum very difficult to locate on the internet. It took me two days to find it. I tried searching for "hair care men" and "hair care men forum" and all I got were female hair care forums, a dead forum that isn't accepting registration, several nearly-dead forums, product websites, several websites for men with very long hair, several websites for men with black hair (mine is brown), an islamic website for hair care, and general HowTo info from About, but no highly-active men's hair care forums. The only forum I could find was this one, which confused me, because for the past 7 years of me using city-data.com, I have always seen it to be a website for city information, not hair care, so I ignored this search result.

I tried search for why my hair will not stay down using the suggested search engine, but all I got were irrelevant search results for carpets, smoking bans, and the Cozy Inn, so I assume that my topic hasn't been addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
You have... a cowlick. If you put "cowlick" in your search engine, you will find out not only what and why it is, but lots of different ways to fix it. Sometimes you have to style your hair differently to hide it.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:51 AM

That's a disgusting name for it!
Apparently cowlicks are fixed by cosmetic surgery, electrolysis, and hair waxing according to these sites. Gross... eww

Does anyone have a cheaper recommendation? I want to ask real people, not be directed to websites that don't help.

And no it doesn't stick straight up as in a lot of the pictures... it just isn't all the way down and my scalp is tender from the scraping. Do I need a special kind of brush? Do I need some kind of spray? I'm thinking of weighing it down with Neosporin, since it won't produce dandruff at least. What advice do you recommend?

One more thing: Why do you people have the forum set so that when I type Command-(left arrow), the page goes back, causing me to retype my entire post? Why do you people have the forum stupidly set like that? Command-(left arrow) is supposed to allow me to highlight a line of text as I'm constructing my post.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Omg NO.
You don't need that level.

Just keep training it down. Soften and control the hair with oils and styling creams. Hairspray can well..you saw it....hair spray never worked on mine. I just massage the area with olive oil before bed and blot off excess. It will take awhile but just using oil will make that sticky out hair softer so it will be easier to tame.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Grow it out. That's about all you can really do, lol. I speak from experience.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Are you sleeping on that side?? Try a silk pillowcase. Also, I wash my hair in the shower every morning, I would have bed head if I didn't It could also be that you need a different hair cut..

Old 05-19-2012, 07:09 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,725 times
"I tried moving my bed to the other corner of the room. That didn't work."

lol....I don't have any advice, but I really like your sense of humor, which is far more important than perfect hair anyway.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Has your hair always been short? You'll have to learn to work with it because you will not "train" it out as I am 57 and I have one at the crown and one at the bang line and, do you really think at this point I have tried everything? Now, with my husband and son, both have a double swirl at their crown and by cutting the hair shorter in that area, it all stands even so that might be an option.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
"I tried moving my bed to the other corner of the room. That didn't work."

lol....I don't have any advice, but I really like your sense of humor, which is far more important than perfect hair anyway.

I was being serious.

Switching to the other end of the room may force some people to switch to sleeping on their other side more often; hence, they can rule out asymmetrical scalp friction while tossing and turning. Apparently this was not the case for me.

However, I have tried two techniques that seem to work:
[1] if I use my comb in a zig-zag motion around the area, then it seems to stay down more obediently
[2] olive oil! How convenient, I'll see how that works.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
Here's what I did with my son who had a cowlick....in the morning, I took a washcloth, wet it in hot water, wrung it out well, and slapped it onto his head....it stayed until time for him to leave for school....the 'cowlick' stayed down! The heat/damp combo helps! And yes...either grow it out or (if you're a man) get a buzzcut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care