Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times

Advertisements

I think your daughters hair just...is what it is...All of my siblings got thick, fast growing luxurious hair...not me, mine is thin, fly-away, straight, and slow growing...but then I got some other characteristics that they might be envious of...it's just the luck of the draw...I wouldn't be concerned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
OK...in a nut-shell, is there ANYTHING that can be done? Shaving? Supplements? ...
This is way past the stage of "oh, it's just baby hair, it will grow more and thicker eventually".
It certainly doesn't look like it.

This is what I have been hearing during all of her 4+ years of life so far, while other little girls her age have grown waves of hair all the way down to their waists, cut their hair off, and then grew some more.

I have given her trims to refresh the ends but never gave her an actual hair-cut to make it significantly shorter - and yet it still barely touches her shoulders. It grows extremely slowly. In four years of only trims she should have had it way past her waistline...and yet it is hardly shoulder-length.
The hair also has no volume and she needs to have it washed almost every day to not look like it is greasy, sticky and unkept. We don't wash it every day as it would be too much but she simply goes some days when it hardly looks clean.

In addition, she has been losing some lately...so this was the last straw.

I do not want to sound ungrateful as she is a healthy, adorable, gorgeous little girl and at the end of the day, we ARE talking about a frivolous matter - so yes, I am aware of that.
But one thing I know is that she certainly did not hit the gene jackpot when it comes to hair. I have extremely thick, strong, dark hair but she takes after my husband's side of the family where everyone has baby-fine, light, English-type hair.

I did want to shave her head when she was a baby but my husband would not hear of it and kept saying that this is all genetics, that nothing will change the kind of hair she has inherited, leats of all some old wives' tale like head shaving, and that I should just get over it.

Maybe he is right - but if there is anything I have been missing in terms of being able to do something about it, I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you so much.
When your daughter's older her hair may become more like yours...she is pretty young right now to tell if her hair will be permanently fine and thin. Ask her pediatrician if there are some volumizing shampoos, conditioners and leave in conditions that are safe for use on young children's hair. Otherwise, wait it out, keep it clean in a neat braid with a pretty ribbon if it's long enough for that.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
A shampoo and rince containing biotan will help. I leave in the conditioner and give it a chance to penatrate. It won't make it thicker hair, but will make it stronger and less likely to break off. You can take supliments too, but ask your doctor about that for a four year old. I find the supliments do help. When I was taking a med that seriously effected my already fine hair, the suppliment made a huge difference.

Her hair may just be fine. There are ways to style and trim which avoid making it look thinner, like not ever layering. But you can make the hair itself grow in stronger and be more substantial since it breaks less. If her hair remains baby fine, do NOT chemically curl or straighten...it will just weaken it to the point it breaks in batches.

I have colored my hair for years, and at this point, I'm sick of the mess of having to trim off the weak ends and am going to try henna color, which does not damage but does make the hair stronger. There is a non-color henna rince which doesn't color but thickens and strenthens too, thought I have only read about it.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 PM

142 posts, read 252,263 times
Just found this post now.

Might be a good idea to have her doctor test her for endocrine problems. Could be thyroid.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
I get it my 41/2 yr old is always can fix my hair like this or how come my hair isnt long i want long hair and all i can say is sorry u got bad genetics or imagine if u had cancer and no hair at all cause she dont know what either of those mean nor does she need to shes 4 im looking to be able to tell her we can try this to get it to grow not to bad

Old 02-13-2023, 08:07 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
This was me. I had Cindy Lou Who hair for years. My sister had thick long hair at her waist at age 3.

I don't know when it changed but I ended up with normal thickness, fine textured hair with a normal growth rate.

Just put it up in some adorable paintbrush ponytails and let her be cute and 4.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:23 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
She is now 16 years old and OP has not posted since 2016.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:02 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
problem solved.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:11 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I have colored my hair for years, and at this point, I'm sick of the mess of having to trim off the weak ends and am going to try henna color, which does not damage but does make the hair stronger. There is a non-color henna rince which doesn't color but thickens and strenthens too, thought I have only read about it.
There is no such thing as a "non-color" henna anything. Henna is red. Period . The intensity of the color will depend on the percentage of lawsone, which is the dye molecule.

Sounds like you are referring to cassia obovata, which is an entirely different plant. The dye molecule only shows up when applied to blonde hair.

Longtime henna head here, 13 years.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:07 AM

15 posts, read 8,851 times
Did her hair change? So curious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care