Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,889 times

Advertisements

Apparently, my cancer issues are resolved, but I did lose my hair after chemo and it came back very thick, silver almost entirely, and right now, it looks something like an 18th century wig (like you can see in films like "Amadeus").

I hate that it sticks out every which way. I suppose when it grows out some more it will be different, but right now, it's not long enough to put in a pony tail.

Any recommendations for hair products?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Congrats on the recovery!

And now your hair is going to be wacky for a bit. Its just how it comes back.

Have you looked into styling creams or pomades? Is it thick enough to take those yet?
Have you had it cut yet? A good cut goes a LONG way in controlling the situation.

Deep conditioner 2x a week helps with the frizz. Just keep it off your scalp so it doesn't thin your hair visually. (happens with deep conditioners sometimes, just like how oily hair can show that)

Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Thank you for your response. I do know of a really good hairdresser here but I really don't want to cut my hair; I only just got it back! I want to grow it long and wear a ponytail. I doubt if I'll ever color or cut it again, and don't think pommade is the answer.

Really looking for a brand of shampoo. What I got at a health food store is for the color, but it's making my hair stick out too much.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
What are you using now? Budget?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
What are you using now? Budget?
Budget is not an issue, so any suggestions would be welcome. Right now I'm alternating between HeadNShoulders and this kind of expensive shampoo, designed for gray hair.

I'll post the name of it, if you like, when I'm back home.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 AM

Shikai Color Effect

Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 PM

No one has any product recommendations for short, curley, fly-away gray hair?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
My hair is very thick, coarse, and very wavy - in other words, a hot mess. I am letting it grow out now so it's really driving me crazy.

When I kept it short, I used "Bed Head Mac Daddy Manipulator." It's a sort of alcohol and wax free errrr, something. It's blue and comes in a little - VERY LITTLE- jar that costs about $18.

Don't let that throw you. It's really good stuff. And most importantly, a little goes a very long way! So you really don't have to replenish your supply often.

I like it because it is pretty heavy, but it doesn't dry sticky or hard. It will give curls texture and calms them down a bit without being some sort of "straightener" or "smoother."

And it smells really good.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:59 AM

466 posts, read 581,966 times
Default Post-chemo, silver & curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Apparently, my cancer issues are resolved, but I did lose my hair after chemo and it came back very thick, silver almost entirely, and right now, it looks something like an 18th century wig (like you can see in films like "Amadeus").
I hate that it sticks out every which way. I suppose when it grows out some more it will be different, but right now, it's not long enough to put in a pony tail.
Any recommendations for hair products?
TIA
Post breast cancer op radiotherapy, not chemo, October 2013. Unfortunately my hair did not become curly! My hair was brittle, lost shine and was "pasted to my head". My hairdresser recommended that I buy and use Pro Naturals® Moroccan Argan Oil Hair Repair System I am so glad that I did. I used it for a month following the 1-4 step routine suggested by them. Now that my hair has stabilized I only use the 4 steps for one week in six making the hair repair system very economical. However, I do cheat and use the Argan Oil once a week after a hair wash. Now my hair is very healthy, no longer brittle and it shines making the white really shine. Incidentally, I use a curling iron most mornings as my hair is dead straight and I just need to lift the hair on my crown and curl the rest under but this has not damaged my hair at all. I hope that this helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care