Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times

Advertisements

I'm considering 'going dark' after many many years as a blonde. Well blonde, and sometimes pink, purple, blue, etc.

So I was blonde as a little kid and it got darker by the time I was 12, 13, ending up an IMO hideous and weird color somewhere between dishwater blonde and mousy brown. Blech. So I have been coloring it ever since puberty pretty much. When I was pregnant with my second child I did go sorta natural, but with some henna and that was okay but the henna, I found out after, I could not color OVER and had to wait until it grew out and was cut off with trimming so I don't want that again.

My natural color at this point in my life, as far as I can tell from the roots (I never let them get very long) is a mousy medium brown with gray bits. I am just tired of the upkeep of being blonde, but I hate my natural color. I am so jealous of my son's rich chestnut brown -- my mother had the same, but I didn't get it. My mom is also much darker skinned than I am though, as is my son.

So I have a cool skin tone. Fair with a tendency to go pink. Green eyes. I really don't want to post pics here but think Cameron Diaz, Reese Witherspoon. When I am blonde I look best with a light ash blonde (something I figured out after years of trying to pull off golden blondes) and I seem to need to avoid red tones if I go darker. I am also wanting to avoid any color that will make me look older (I am 41) if that's a thing.

I am wondering how dark I can safely go, and what colors I should be considering. Currently my hair is purple and blue but I need a job outside the house for summer, time to behave, and like I said, just sick of the blonde upkeep.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I suspect a hair stylist would guide you away from dark. I'd talk to a professional about what color would look best on you. Barbara Walters used to be a brunette, but as she has aged, she has lightened her hair. I think this depends too on how the skin is aging. The color in our faces changes, and you want a hair color that looks right with your facial coloring.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I would try to richen it up to auburn. (I know, "richen" isn't a word.)

Very dark hair is definitely aging, as is very single-toned hair with no highlights. Just warm it up a tad. I know exactly what you're talking about. I could have written your story. Lots of us have that color hair (and were blonde as children). You just never see it because so many of us dye over it.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Try a 7A (70A) for a medium ash brown. That will be similar to your natural color but a little richer and should work well with your skintone. At your age, if you've kept your skin in pretty good condition, that should work well. If you are a smoker and/or have a lot of sun damage, go for an 8/80.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
I would play with semi or demi colors to avoid further damage and commitment. I would go with the lightest brown you can find and then pick something a shade or two darker to put in some low lights while your natural color grows out.
Putting too dark of a brown in a monotone over blonde hair can turn out unflattering. As your natural base grows out the browns will become more naturally rich and suiting.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
I agree with Opsimathia ^

Start with a semi or demi color.... it will fade naturally and won't look too harsh.
I would stay away from goldens and brassy browns. If you're blonde now, your hair is going to pull a much darker color than what is on the box, even if it is even a light brown. Go to Sally's and get a protein packet thingy to mix with your color.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
From your description of medium mousy brown, I will guess your natural color is between a level 3.5-5.5.

Lets say its a 4.5, you can probably go as deeply brown as you would like. Stick to neutral browns, like espresso (cool browns can be drab & reddish won't look good on you).

Old 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Okay an update, I didn't realize there were replies here at all until now so I missed some of the advice before I took action. Thankfully it all worked out really well!

I ended up going with a box color, L'Oreal "Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color" in a demi-permanent. The name on the box is Dark Golden Brown / Golden Chocolate.

Maybe I just got lucky but it came out looking amazing! There are some small streaks that didn't get as dark, which was not intentional but looks like on-purpose highlights so it's all good.

I am really really happy. In fact, I keep looking in the mirror and thinking "Why didn't I do this years ago?!" and I'm getting feedback that says it makes me look younger and makes my eyes look more of a pale green. I was afraid of it looking harsh and it doesn't at all, yay! When I look at it it just feels "right", like it was the color I was meant to have all along, if that makes any sense. I am so glad I took a chance here. I keep trying to get a good picture of it though and cannot.. it either looks too light or too dark in the photos, otherwise I'd post a pic too.

So yeah luck or not, I'm pleased as punch. Now, my question is, should I stick with the demi-permanent from now on or try and find a permanent in the same shade?

Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:58 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Yay! I'm glad it turned out well.

IMO, I've always had trouble with permanent colors (especially medium/darker colors) looking flat. I prefer demi, because it does allow for natural fading/highlights.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Glad for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care