Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 AM

218 posts, read 708,430 times

Advertisements

I Think I Think I Think I ThinkI ThinkI Think I Think I Think
that some people think too much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:06 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,535 times
I wore long hair (just past the shoulders) until I was about 50. Finally told my hairdresser cut it, and it was the best thing I ever did. I looked 20 years younger instantly. And it is so easy to take care of.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
The OP's poll was a good beginning, however there is a large grey area not addressed here. I was never able to grow my hair longer than a few inches past shoulder length when I was younger. As a very young child my hair was very blond and curly. Growing older and after a few illnesses, I lost the curls and my hair began getting darker. It has been medium brown for many years.

I enjoyed putting my hair in a French roll, on top of my head, braiding, bun, you name it. Frosted at times even. Soon allergies prevented hair colouring. Decided to have my hair cut shorter due to life-style at the time. Hated wearing scarves or hats to keep style in control. I now have short, permed hair that has some grey. I like it this way. I am waaaaayyyyyy over 40 yrs. old.

Women that choose to keep their hair long, IMHO just need to pay attention to the condition and how they wear their hair. Personally I really don't think long, straggly, unkempt hair is attractive, no matter what the age. I'm referring to things such as split ends, and, well, just hanging! I do know of some women, due to religious commitments, must not cut their hair. That is fine. Would like to see the hair kept clean, shinny, well cared for, no matter what age, length, colour. Individuality. No set rules. Happy Hair Days to y'all

Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Ok up until this afternoon, I was on the side of those who like long hair on anybody.
I was getting my nails done while this lady was getting her hair done.
I'm 45 and this lady was obviously older than me by about 10 yrs or had a really rough life.(Bless her heart)
Her hair was right at waist length and she dyed it red....not a dark red which might have been ok, but orangish red.
This was not a stripmall salon either...this is a place that charges probably 50.00+ for a cut. I say, any stylist worth his/her salt needs to really sit and talk to her.
So on her?? She needed to cut it.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:01 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Um shouldn't it be about getting a flattering haircut for you and NOT length dictated by age? Sheesh! ridiculous. Waist length, unshaped hair looks as bad on a 20 year old as it does a 40 year old.

I just turned 40 and my hair is long - not long long, but definitely a few inches below shoulder length. But, it's not just hanging there, I have long layers, so the hair around my face is more face framing than anything. I heard nonsense like I've heard here and asked two different hairdressers and they said absolutely not, I do not need to cut my hair. When the layers get too long then I think it drags my face down but I think that would have been the case at 30 as well.

Anytime people want to stop making blanket statements about age and other demographic characteristics, that would be a good thing!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
I think women should wear their hair however long or short they
want to. I dont give a flip about "whats appropriate" or "stylish". Why do we
care so much about how others look? Im 48,my hair is midback(and still
growing)and has lots of silver in it. I wear it in updos mostly,its very easy
to take care of. I like it, and my hubby likes it, thats all that matters.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:43 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Who the heck is the weirdo who gave me a negative rep point and said I was flaming because I posted that I keep my hair in long layers?!?! These boards are surreal sometimes.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:59 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,113 times
I don't think the age matters. I'm in my 30's and WISH my hair would grow long,but because of hormonal problems it is thin, and I can't wear it much longer than shoulder length. If you have thick hair and it looks nice long go for it!!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:57 AM

5 posts, read 27,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

I say cut your hair into something more fitting to your age and situation. Agree or disagree?

It sounds like you caved into pressure to cut your hair, and now you're envious of those who refuse to do the same.

Why do you have the right to tell others how to wear their hair? We're all entitled to our own opinions about fashion, but when you tell people that they must cut their hair because you think they should, you've entered into a dangerous realm.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I'm not cutting mine. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care