Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:03 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I read somewhere that there are several different types of curly/wavy hair which explains why some women might have good luck with creams whereas others such as myself have better luck with gel.

Creams and mousses do not work on my fine, wavy/curly hair. My hair looks terrific when the cream is first put in but 5 minutes later looks terrible. The hair goes askew--every which way--and becomes like a horrible ball of fuzz. The cream doesn't seem to have enough control. It seems to sit on top of my hair and weigh it down, maybe make it too greasy too. UGH. These products are expensive and after one disappointing purchase after another, I decided to never buy a cream product again. They just don't work on me. If someone wants to recommend some expensive cream for curly hair, well, go ahead, but I'm not going to buy it.

Years ago I got a very expensive Ouidad haircut at a fancy salon. The haircut itself was only fair--it really didn't give me any bang for the buck and wasn't really much better than the $20 cuts from the cheap hair cutting places in my local area. However, the Ouidad stylist taught me how to do the wet hair/gel method and that was revolutionary. It completely revolutionized my hair management and how I perceive my curly. People who say they don't understand this method, well, just try it. The salon used fancy Deva Curl gel and I bought it for a few years but finally tried the cheap gel and it works just as well. It doesn't matter what kind of gel I use. What matters is starting with wet hair. NOT damp. WET. The reason why some women complain about crispy hair is that they are putting gel on dry hair or damp hair. You cannot put gel on damp or dry hair. It will be gloppy and horrible and then turn crispy when it dries. The hair has to be super wet. Another reason why the hair feels crispy is that the person may be using too much gel. You have to use the right amount but not too much. After I put the gel into my wet hair, it takes awhile to dry but I have a long commute to work so by the time I get to work, the hair is dry AND SOFT. Not crispy! SOFT!

The wet hair/gel method is the ONLY method that has ever worked on my hair. I will never, ever, try any other products.
I have fine wavy hair. The cream works for me and after trying other creams Deva Curl really seems superior. It has the right hold and texture. It also takes no time at all to get it looking the way I want.

I tried the sopping wet and gel method. It left my hair crispy, and more DEFINED than I like. My scalp showed and it took a lot of shaking and fingering to make it better.

Definitely different hair reacts to cream differently, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 01:55 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
I think it starts with a really good hair cut. My hair is fine and wavy, but I have a lot of it. It's also almost to my waist. My ends must be cut blunt, not textured. I currently have a few long layers, but again, they are blunt.

After spending a ton of money on different products, I am currently loving bioterra long and healthy shampoo and I use the leave in milk--never on my roots, typically about mid shaft to the ends. I tried conditioner, but it weighs my hair down too much.

Coloring my hair adds lots of body. I use a permanent color only on the roots and a demi permanent on the lengths. I use ion at home color and love it.

I can let my hair dry naturally and get waves. For less waves and more body, I'll blow dry. More curl definition = curling iron. I can do my whole head (starting with dry hair) in about 15 minutes. Alternatively, I straighten in about 15 minutes, too.

To finish, I use a Garnier Fructise sleek and shine, anti-humidity, volumizing spray. Its the only one with hold that doesn't weight my hair down or make it crunchy or stiff.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:25 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
Amika The Wizard is great

Old 12-21-2017, 04:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Mine is 3a.

I follow the typical curly girl method. Devacurl no poo and conditioner, so two products, sometimes I use their curl creme. Wet pineapple, so maybe 5 mins at night. I have good definition and minimal frizz.

You really should go over to naturally curly and ID what type of curls you actually have. What you do for 1b is wildly different than 3b and so on.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
I have coarse, curly shoulder length hair...very thick. I wear it cut in layers and have sideswept bangs.
I just wash it, comb conditioner through the ends, rinse, towel dry and then comb some Davines Momo potion thought it and then was it all back ul with my fingers and let it air dry. I use a pancake dryer if I have to go out before it’s dry...it takes a good while. I do dry my bangs around a round brush because they tend to frizz. This way they look straightish for a few minutes and then join the rest of my curls, frizz Free.

I blow dry my hair every several washings because it seems to get tired of being curly. I know. Sounds weird but I think curly hair has a bit of a mind of its own.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:40 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
My wavy/curly hair is different in different climates. Up north it tends to be straighter and down here in Florida where we are at the moment it is frizz city. The humidity is the thing that makes the difference.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
My wavy/curly hair is different in different climates. Up north it tends to be straighter and down here in Florida where we are at the moment it is frizz city. The humidity is the thing that makes the difference.
This is why Im happy to live in the west with low humidity. My hair curls nicely here or straightens nicely. When we are on the coast where it's damp and cool and misty, my hair goes into its spiral curl mode which is nice too.
But if i go east in summertime and hit that great wall of humidity somewhere around the Mississippi River, my hair goes into full on Roseanne Roseannadanna mode and turns into a giant flaming frizzball.

I loathe humidity for other reasons but it just makes my hair impossible.
Anyone old enough to remember the old TV show "Room 222"?
Attached Thumbnails
Styling curly/wavy hair-afro.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care