Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCKME View Post
I have thick hair and it has been freaking destroyed from a stylists huge mistake. She took thinning shears or texturizing shears to my head like she was weed whacking and I am SO PISSED. I walked out with about half the hair I walked in with and not from the loss of length which was only 2 inches, mainly from the loss of body and volume after she got hold of those shears. She ruined the thickness of my hair and I didn’t even realize she was doing this because I didn’t ask her to thin it out I just asked her to cut some off the length and layer it. UGH has anyone had this happen to them? How long does it take to grow out? Honestly, probably the worst hair cut I have had and I was in the navy and I used to go to great clips so trust me I have had a lot of bad haircuts. And she just snuck in the shears behind my back and started chopping away without even asking. And that is definitely not what I told her I wanted. Now my hair is thin and limp, I have small peices stick long to every which way because she ruined my natural curls. I can’t even where it up in a pony tail. There is no way I can’t get it back, it’s just gone, in the trash after she swept it up. I just have to sit around and wait till it grows meanwhile looking and feeling like sh*t. Half of my hair, gone. I.am.so.mad. Anyone had this awful experience with stylists using thinning shears? Why are they always trying to use those even when we don’t ask?? It’s be great to hear from some stylists, because apparently it’s really easy to overdo it with those. No one wants super thin hair, really?

Yes, this happens kind of often to me. I don't know why they do it. I also have natural curl/wave, and when they use the thinning shears, it seems like they always go against the curl/wave, and then I have these dried out looking frizzy hairs. I HAVE found that Morrocan oil helps a lot though.

I've found that you have to tell them straight up, NO thinning shears, and NO razors. Sometimes, I think they do it because they have a hairstyle in mind, that I suppose the thinner look is for. But that would require blow-drying and lots of styling I don't have the knack for. I always let my hair dry natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I should add...I found a girl that gave me a GREAT haircut, and so the next time I got a haircut, I made an appointment with her. And again, she gave me a great haircut.

The next time, I SHOULD'VE made an appointment with her, but I just did a walk in...and got the shears of death. lol I always ask for layers, but the girl just used the shears on the sides...as opposed to all over. My pain probably isn't as severe as yours.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM

10 posts, read 9,494 times
I hate when they try to use them. I have learned to speak up and firmly tell them I don't want them to use them on my hair. After a horror haircut, imagine the hairstylist taking these "thinning" shears and from the roots all over my head she cut my hair. I was too afraid to say anything, when I got home I cried and looked like an electrocuted porcupine!! my hair was just sticking out all over the place!!!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:44 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
omg, thanks for confirming this, I thought it was me. I always told them no thinning sheers and asked they thin using the sailboat technique and I'd get a puzzled look. My last cut I did a walk in and out come the thinning sheers but I let her do it. Never again, ever!

Old 02-25-2019, 05:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I have the opposite problem. I want a razor cut since I wear my thick hair in a short, piecey style and hardly anybody around here knows how to do a razor cut.

My only suggestion is the next time you go for a haircut tell them upfront you do not want them to use thinning shears.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:11 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
This is just another reason among many I have learned to cut my own hair and take care of it myself . I don't use a lot of product in my hair either . It is thick and curly and some wavy so it is hard to cut and I can only imagine what a stylist would do with it . eek !!! No I learned to cut my own hair. I have never felt better . I sympathize OP but it will grow out and then find a great stylist or learn to cut it yourself . Good luck and blessings .

Old 03-02-2019, 09:52 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I didnt even think hairdressers ever used thinning scissors.....I did get a haircut many years ago and it left me hating my hair for months it was in such a mess...I have fine hair and no way should they have been used at all ...

Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
I wonder if this is what happened to me in my last appointment. My hair just hasn’t been right!

Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
This is just another reason among many I have learned to cut my own hair and take care of it myself . I don't use a lot of product in my hair either . It is thick and curly and some wavy so it is hard to cut and I can only imagine what a stylist would do with it . eek !!! No I learned to cut my own hair. I have never felt better . I sympathize OP but it will grow out and then find a great stylist or learn to cut it yourself . Good luck and blessings .
I'm going to try to cut mine. The thought of going back and getting butchered and my wants ignored, then overcharged, puts me in a cold sweat. I've been watching YouTube vids, I've got professional shears and I cut the back, about six inches of length and it looks fine. Next I'm doing the sides, but getting my courage up for that and will practice on a wig. Then the bangs last. Point cutting the ends after shaping gives it just enough texture without any razor slices or crazy thinning.

When I found the vids of my desired style the comments were the same as my concerns- no stylists will do it, simple as it is. Their lo$$.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,332 times
This happened to me too about two and a half months ago and I’m still in the process of trying to grow my hair out. I cried for a week straight when it happened because my hair looked so awful. All I asked was for a trim and to make the bottom even. The stylist cut more layers in my hair and hacked away at it with the thinning shears when I didn’t ask for either. I had tons of short and long pieces everywhere and at the ends of the pieces it looked like a squirrel chewed on them. I didn’t leave the house for almost a month. It was bad. I trim it each month so that way all the pieces can catch up to each other until it’s back to normal. It’s definitely getting better but will take probably at least another 3 months until it’s back and doesn’t look like **** lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care