Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 01:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,353,155 times

Advertisements

Well, having the work done was expensive, no? I think you can legitimately ask for more work or a partial refund. If she is new, she will learn from having people give her feedback.

I don’t have coloring done on my hair. My experiences have been with bad haircuts or odd styling. I generally did not go back after a difficult experience. At one point in my life, I had a terrible time finding a stylist. I remember how traumatic it was to try a new one. So, I can relate.

If stylist takes your request badly, then ask around for recs and make an appointment now, even if you can’t get in for several weeks. That’s my advice. Don’t be like me—procrastinating until desperate.

I hope to schedule a haircut for next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 02:29 PM

22,583 posts, read 12,147,708 times
Here's my two cents on what one should do when looking for a new stylist:

Over a year ago, I realized that it was time to leave my long time stylist. I searched for salons near where I live and found one that was very close by. I went in and spoke to the receptionist and told her my sad stylist story (the truncated version). Then I asked her if there were any stylists who weren't afraid to cut hair like mine. She asked me what was wrong with my hair. I said it was thick, coarse, wavy and frizzy. She then gave me the names of 2 stylists that she said were good with hair like mine. I took a chance and chose the junior of the 2. It turned out to be a great decision. One of the first things she said to me was "I'm not afraid to cut your hair." I've never regretted my decision.

ETA: If you ask someone you know for a stylist recommendation due to how good their hair looks, make sure that they have hair similar to yours. I once had a co-worker (I'll call her Mary) whose hair was similar to mine. She asked another co-worker who had sleek, straight hair for a recommendation. Based on that, Mary went to that stylist and got an awful haircut.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:08 PM

1,350 posts, read 829,337 times
My salon seems to still be closed, even though our county is supposed to be open for hair salons, so I am STILL waiting and it's getting very frustrating...

But to getting a good cut and color. This is what I do. The next time you get a color or cut you really like, take a selfie.. or five... of yourself immediately (while it's still styled.... I take selfies right there in the salon after they've styled it) and save it on your phone. Then in the future, show it to the stylist and say "I want this color/cut again." You know it CAN be done, since you've had it before. A new stylist should be able to replicate this look again.

Or even bring an older picture of you, if it's a style or color you once liked and you want it again now. Hey, if you had it done once, you should be able to get that look again... is my motto with my hair.

Good luck to all.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:33 AM

408 posts, read 436,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Why did you leave when you were not happy? While she was foiling you should have seen what she was doing?
I couldn't see the color until well after I left the salon because I left with wet hair (they are not allowed to use blow dryers yet). And that was when I saw the "final" cut too. It's crazy short. Like barely hits my shoulders when it was previously down to my chest. She chopped off a TON. And it was literally all in like two snips. It's not even really. I'm just pissed that all those months of growing my hair out were for nothing because of this person. And I'm pissed that my bangs look so crappy for the next couple weeks.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, having the work done was expensive, no? I think you can legitimately ask for more work or a partial refund. If she is new, she will learn from having people give her feedback.

I don’t have coloring done on my hair. My experiences have been with bad haircuts or odd styling. I generally did not go back after a difficult experience. At one point in my life, I had a terrible time finding a stylist. I remember how traumatic it was to try a new one. So, I can relate.

If stylist takes your request badly, then ask around for recs and make an appointment now, even if you can’t get in for several weeks. That’s my advice. Don’t be like me—procrastinating until desperate.

I hope to schedule a haircut for next week.
I have a literal fear of having someone cut my hair again after this experience. I communicated with her exactly what I wanted and she still did her thing. I emailed her asking for a partial refund and she never responded. Not sure what else to do or if it's even worth it. It's just annoying. :/

Old 06-07-2020, 02:02 AM

7,708 posts, read 4,684,527 times
I'd hate to be the sucker that buys the first Ford that rolls of the assembly line after the team has stopped producing for a few months....but it's going to happen to someone.

I wouldn't ask for a refund. You were charged for a cut. You received a cut, maybe not to your liking, but if they didn't charge you for something you didn't receive, that's the only time to ask for a refund. The rest basically dictates whether or not I return.

Everyone needs a cut at the moment. She did yours. She's been unemployed for months and paying rent on a store that hopefully escaped riot damages. She's broke at the moment. Compassion should rule the months ahead here. She got you once. But do let her get you the one time. Hair will return.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:03 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,103,268 times
Seems odd that you get all this work done and don't have a regular stylist. I find it important to establish a relationship and tip well so that the stylist remembers me and doesn't rush through me.

The place I go to charges a mere $16 for shampoo, cut and blow. I tip the shampoo girl $3 to $10 depending, and my stylist always get $ 20. $30 to 40 if I get color or highlights.

Highlights and blonde-coloring (Bleaching), as you should know, does a lot of damage to your hair, and especially the ends of your hair. I would think cutting an inch would be minimal to get most of the dried out and frayed ends so that your hair lays nicely. Your hair might grow very fast, but the bleaching causes it to break off faster so you think it grows slow.

You can try supplements to try to get your hair to grow faster, as well as conditioning with certain specific oils which are known to cause fast growth and fuller thicker hair, but in the end, it sounds like you should just leave it be and see how other people react to it.

Sometimes we just aren't a good judge of how we look, or how good of a job our stylist did and need others to tell us how good we look.

Or, you could always shave your head and take your business elsewhere.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:23 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,166,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Exactly my problem and what I want to do next week when I go to my stylist. How do you plan to instruct them to do this. That is my problem. They always want to seem to cut too short and somehow thin the ends. Would you ask for a blunt cut?

No blunt cut for me. I still want the layers. I like the ends to be thinned a bit but not too straggly, which they did the last time. Part of the problem is my hair is thinner on one side. Every time anyone cuts my hair, every time, the right side is shorter than the left. I tell them that everyone makes that mistake with me and you really do need to use a ruler. One girl... (the one who became my reg) didn't believe me so she grabbed a ruler to prove to me that she got them even and she was very surprised to find out she didn't. I don't know why that's such an issue with me really.
I'm not sure how I'm going to explain it to the next one (my reg moved away) but I'm def going to bring a ruler into it and just explain how I like the layering to be and that it has to be even all over with no sudden jumps between the length of the layers. It's really quite similar to a long shag I had in the 70s.

It usually works okay when they cut just a little at a time ....shorter than what THEY think they should do (which I plan on telling them) because they can always take off a bit more if it's not enough. Can't add it back on if the cut too much tho.

I'm hoping it all goes well! If I can get one really good cut and she will keep track of how I like it, then it should be smooth sailing from there.

Hope it goes well for you too!!

Old 06-07-2020, 07:02 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,510,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I'd been waiting months to get my hair colored and cut due to the pandemic. I finally got an appointment at a local salon today and was so excited to get my roots touched up and get a light trim.

But I'm super disappointed with the result. I paid for a full highlight and the stylist put a bunch of highlights in around the top but nothing underneath and not the super heavy foil look that they typically do. I had a grown out balayage and wanted to make it a pure blonde look.

I'm honestly willing to just deal with that though.

The biggest thing I'm upset about -- I asked for a VERY light trim, like a dusting, and she chopped off over an inch. My hair takes forever to grow and I am super bummed that she did that when I asked her very explicitly to just dust the ends. She did it in like two quick snips and I didn't see how much came off until after it was on the ground. But the worst part is my bangs. I usually have them hitting below my eyebrows (I told her I just wanted them to be straightened out to fix my at-home trimming skills) and instead she chopped them so they are about 1/4 inches above my eyebrows, looking very little girl-ish and goofey. She also added "more" bang by cutting some of my long hair and making them bangs so now they are just thick and weird looking. They are also a bit crooked. I also paid for an eyebrow wax at this place and she didn't really wax hardly anything. I feel like that was a waste of money.

Should I send her a message and ask for a partial refund? Leave her a bad review? I feel bad doing that because she is 21 and new to the occupation (I realized after I met her). I don't want to go back to her under any circumstance because she just butchered me. I just want some money back as I'm just so unhappy. I honestly don't want to go out in public at least until my bangs grow.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience - especially since all three of your services had issues.

My question would be - you don't have a regular person you go to? Especially for complex highlights and such? I would not have trusted someone different for this much stuff - was it too late to say something when you saw she wasn't doing the foils you were expecting?

Next time either get your usual person or do the bare minimum until you can get to them. Since you say you only needed your roots done and a dusting sounds like you could have waited a couple weeks longer to get your usual person. You can talk to the manager/owner of the place if you don't want to talk to her or don't get refund you're after - would you go back to her for a possible "fix"?

Old 06-07-2020, 01:15 PM

To those asking why I don't have a regular stylist -- I moved to my city not very long ago so I haven't established that yet. I've been bouncing around and going to people with good deals recently, I'm a broke graduate student and my city is quite expensive (200+ for everything). I'm definitely hoping to find someone regular but it hasn't happened yet. It's a balance of cost and quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care