Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2020, 07:57 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,399,593 times

Advertisements

I'm a guy. So going back to March, my usual buzz cut grew out. I had the sides trimmed once. my hair is now about 5 inches on top and about an inch on the sides. Wife HATES it.
I know it doesn't look all that good because I'm growing it out. She and my daughters told me (hair intervention) "you look hideous". To be honest no one is saying it looks good either. I have a full head of hair, and figured to grow it out one last time before it starts to leave me. I'm almost 50.

I want to rock the longer hair look. Tired of the military high an tight style I've been sporting for 20 years.

What to do? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 12:39 PM

646 posts, read 1,159,473 times
Do your wife and sisters listen to you regarding how they should wear their hair? Seems like it's up to you how you'd like to look.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:55 PM

6,941 posts, read 4,953,194 times
How long are you planning on growing it? It's bound to have an awkward stage, that's life. Maybe take a little off the top. I also suggested googling hair styles for men to get some ideas for styles as it grows out. It sounds kind of awful right now. There's always baseball caps (ugh!) to hide it until it looks good again.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:58 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,448,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I'm a guy. So going back to March, my usual buzz cut grew out. I had the sides trimmed once. my hair is now about 5 inches on top and about an inch on the sides. Wife HATES it.
I know it doesn't look all that good because I'm growing it out. She and my daughters told me (hair intervention) "you look hideous". To be honest no one is saying it looks good either. I have a full head of hair, and figured to grow it out one last time before it starts to leave me. I'm almost 50.

I want to rock the longer hair look. Tired of the military high an tight style I've been sporting for 20 years.

What to do? Help!
Maybe ask them what they don't like about it and look online for 'men's hairstyles' and see if there is anything that all of you like? If that doesn't work, then just wear it anyway you want, it's your hair - not theirs.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:12 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,414,259 times
When I am growing my hair out, I always get it trimmed and styled to look good while it is growing.
A barber might not be the right place to go for this. Go to a hair salon and take a photo of the look you are aspiring for and ask the stylist to make a trim that will grow nicely into the look you want. You will likely have to go there more than the one time.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:50 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,618,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post

What to do? Help!

Instead of just letting it all hang & grow....why not get it just trimmed & styled a little....so it doesn't look like that awkward growing out stage. She might like the longer hair...most of us do...BUT maybe she just doesn't like the scraggly or bowl unkept look it has while it's growing out if you haven't done anything to it.

You can even look on You Tube for easy hints or ideas together. Trimming it just a little to do away with the split ends & just layering it a little could make a super big difference...AND your wife could even do that. Conditioner too, specially if you are used to not having any hair. edit: a little upkeep could go a long way from "hideous". Good luck!

Old 11-16-2020, 02:59 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,399,593 times
thanks I've got my work cut out for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care