Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2020, 09:06 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,791,044 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted super long, pretty hair but the irony is I was never able to keep it for too long because I always got scissor happy and would chop off my hair. I purchased a nice pair of scissors and would give myself trims only and would go to the salon to get it styled about once a year. This worked out pretty well until Covid. My hair was due for a trip to the salon end of summer but I got too nervous and paranoid to go. I also didn't have one I liked, I mostly hopped around so I didn't know what the outcome would be.

I was going to just trim my hair but I decided I wanted layers without even knowing how to do it, and next thing you know, one side is chopped and shorter than the other. So I watched YouTube videos to try and fix it. At first I thought it looked good and was proud of myself. But when I just went about my ways naturally, it would look funny. The top would be a lot heavier with a strand from the bottom sticking out. It looked horrible so I watched more videos to try and fix it. One side actually looks pretty good now but I butchered the other side and made it a lot shorter than I intended. I only cut the front so it would almost be like if I had bangs that had grown out.

This was 3 months after I first butchered it. If I don't leave my hair alone it'll never grow back. I left the back of my hair long and I think if I went to a salon they could fix it but I'm still nervous about Covid. So I put my hair up in a ponytail so I don't have to see it and trying not to touch it until I feel comfortable about going to a salon. I might have to wait a year though.

I might have to hide my scissors or ask my bf to hide them for me in his house. It gives me anxiety to not have it the way I like it now but maybe this is supposed to teach me a lesson. I also can't stop looking for split ends in my hair. I don't do much to my hair otherwise but I think I'm obsessed with having perfect hair.

Just wondering if anybody has similar stories or tips to share? I feel like a crazy person for not being able to stop touching my hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 10:04 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,260,034 times
I’ve been going to a stylist for weeks. We both wear masks. Now that infection rates have gotten so bad, I might skip an appointment, though.

I think your answer might be to find a good stylist you trust, and let him/her be your guide on growing your hair. Ask women with great haircuts who their stylist is, or ask friends for a rec.

When you feel it is safe to do so, visit and decide if you can trust the stylist, and if you feel you can, tell her you want to grow your hair. If you get periodic trims, you should not have split ends. I’ve been in the position of skipping from one stylist to another. I now schedule regular cuts far in advance. I think I am scheduled six months in advance at this point. I go in every six weeks. When I was younger I scheduled for every 8 weeks.

Your stylist can trim you up and give you a style you can live with as your hair grows out.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,137,428 times
I went through a phase like that when I decided to stop bleaching my hair. I cut off about a foot of platinum hair & then every time I saw blonde strands or tips, I could NOT stop snipping them. My hair looked so horrible; I looked like a tweaker's mug shot.

Even dying it dark didn't work because the blonde hair was so porous the dye would fade & then I had ugly two-tone hair. I finally had to go cold-turkey & not fix ANYTHING; even simple snips. Just toughed it out. That was in 2017. Now my hair is down to my thighs.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:29 AM

6,927 posts, read 4,939,162 times
If you shave all your hair off you will remove the temptation to cut on it.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:51 AM

6,927 posts, read 4,939,162 times
On a serious note, Google compulsive hair cutting.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:22 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,791,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
On a serious note, Google compulsive hair cutting.
Oh wow, I didn't know that was a thing.

The thought of shaving my head did come up last night but I'd probably just end up wearing a wig. And it's too cold anyway!

I just bought prenatal vitamins and fermented rice shampoo and conditioner. Not sure if they'll help much but worth a try! I'll just have to accept this for now since I don't want it any shorter.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,625,357 times
If IF IF you succumb to the urge to cut your hair again, remember that it is extremely difficult, closing in on impossible, for anyone who has one hand dominance -- as opposed to being ambidextrous -- to give themselves a good haircut. You will never be able to hold the scissors at the same angle cutting the hair on the far side of your head. the angles will essentially be upside down and backwards compared to your dominant hand side.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:56 AM

18,554 posts, read 15,645,788 times
Covid case numbers are insane right now, but when we get back to normal you should go to the salon and get it cut shorter than you would yourself. After 2 or 3 cycles of haircuts, you can get back to looking good again.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:47 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,951,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
If IF IF you succumb to the urge to cut your hair again, remember that it is extremely difficult, closing in on impossible, for anyone who has one hand dominance -- as opposed to being ambidextrous -- to give themselves a good haircut. You will never be able to hold the scissors at the same angle cutting the hair on the far side of your head. the angles will essentially be upside down and backwards compared to your dominant hand side.
I have been cutting my own hair for decades and while it takes a couple cuts on the back to get it even it is doable and looks decent.

I think the OP might suffer from some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder that might be causing this constant urge to cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care