Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:46 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
movin, I think some women start cutting it shorter after a particular age because hormone changes thin the hair out and make it lacklustre. If you're not one of them, revel in it baby!!!
Ah, I never thought of that but I bet you are right. Fortunately, I have no gray yet. My hair might have thinned, but this has more to do with this bad relationship I was in than anything else I think. But I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Ah, I never thought of that but I bet you are right. Fortunately, I have no gray yet. My hair might have thinned, but this has more to do with this bad relationship I was in than anything else I think. But I digress.
Well I'm currently growing out the blonde highlights that I've had for I don't even know how long and I've been watching vigilantly for grey. So far so good, no grey, which is doubley pleasing to me because I know it annoys my younger brother who is grey already!! I'm in the process of growing my hair longer and the 4-0 birthday is just around the corner!!!!! I think I'll probably always have it a little longer than shoulder length anyway, simply because it suits me that way and I prefer it but we'll see.

All kinds of things will thin your hair out as you get older but personally I think women should do whatever they want with their hair as long as they're happy and comfortable and feeling good about themselves it's nobody's business anyway.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
If you have your long hair cut/trimmed so that it has layers or has some sort of shape other than hanging straight down you can probably keep your long hair indefinitely.

Look at Emmylou Harris' hair in this photo. I think it's amazing. Emmylou Harris, Songbird, Stumble Into Grace, Heartaches and Highways - The Very Best of Emmylou Harris, Red Dirt Girl, Western Wall:The Tucson Sessions
I agree. There is no age limit on long hair, but hanging all one length hair tends to make a woman look older, old fashioned, and stuck in her ways. A modern style with well cared for layers for always looks beautiful. I would ask your girlfriends for their honest opinion, sometimes women get stuck in one style that is no longer flattering and that has an aging effect.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
I have been a baldy by choice since I was about 22 and now I'm 41. I have no desire to maintain hair and love the close short look. It does not work for everyone.

I do believe that long hair should be shorten in your mid 30's and get shorter with each decade. I rather see mature women with hair that is above their shoulders. Don't beat me up on this board--personal preference.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:36 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
I have been a baldy by choice since I was about 22 and now I'm 41. I have no desire to maintain hair and love the close short look. It does not work for everyone.

I do believe that long hair should be shorten in your mid 30's and get shorter with each decade. I rather see mature women with hair that is above their shoulders. Don't beat me up on this board--personal preference.
I don't want to beat you up, but it seems like someone who enjoys being bald by choice would support women wearing whatever look they feel best with. Honestly, it seems a bit hypocritical.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:17 AM

172 posts, read 769,287 times
I say keep the long hair. Like some of the others said, layers always look nice but that is up to the person. There is no rule that says someone should cut their hair after a certain age. If you've got it, flaunt it.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 AM

6 posts, read 17,362 times
Default re: At what point....

A woman should cut her hair when she feels like it, not sooner, not later. That is her hair and it should be left to her convenience and discretion, just the same as a man. There are people who cut their hair for fashion, only to realize that the "look" on that model, or other person, was not right for them, and may regret the try. But not to dispair, hair grows (on women) and she may try again if so inclined.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Nobody has to do anything with their hair. If you like it long, let it stay long.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:24 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, thank you all very much. My only hesitation in having long hair has to do with the workplace, but I can always pull it back in a ponytail or bun. I really appreciate the input!
There is no hardfast rule that says you "have" to cut your hair. If you like your long hair and it's attractively kept, then by all means, you should just be yourself. If though, you are looking prematurely aged due to your hair, then maybe it's time for a change. If it's just long and boring, then maybe you can get a suitable cut and some color? Just a thought. Some older women look really great with long hair, some dont. It's plain as that.
I am almost 40, look 10 years younger, and have hair down past my shoulders but I color and highlight my hair. I have to say, it looks really good. If I just let myself go though, I'd be gray and unsightly. You mentioned something about the workplace too. It's a valid concern because unfortunately these days, a lot of your interview is looks. I think people still tend to form an opinion based on someones looks. If you are gray and tired looking and you are trying to re-enter the workforce you may want an updated look. Again, this is purely my opinion, I know being a professional that looks do come into play, I keep my hair down and straightened or neatly pulled back. Everyone has their own style, likes, dislikes...
The best thing you can do is to be you and do what makes you feel pretty and good about yourself. You obviously have a concern over your hair if you are posting though... just a thought.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
No woman HAS to do anything with her appearance! Keep it long if you like it long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care