Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 07:16 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Nothing has worked so far.

I have a round brush dryer on the way but it's not here yet.

I've tried all the other suggestions already.

No matter what I do, my hair looks terrible when I try to style it. I shared pictures with a friend on Twitter (who is also a hairdresser but is not the one who cut my hair) and she thinks the problem might be the cut. I'm going to see her after work today to see if she can't fix my haircut.

If she can't fix it it'll be far too short to put in a ponytail; I'll have to figure something out while I grow it back out and NEVER get another hairstyle as long as I live. I've worn my hair long in a ponytail for years and only cut it when people in my life told me it looked "sloppy" and I needed to look more "professional" at work (nobody at work has said this to me).

Now I'm left with a haircut I can't style that looks worse than what I had before...and it's too short to pull it back off my face when I'm having a bad hair day (which is every day since I had it cut).
I am so sorry to near this. You have my deepest sympathy. Nothing so worse as having to grow out a bad haircut. On the bright side it's not like you got a tattoo and then regretted it.

Good luck on having your friend try to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 05:54 AM

674 posts, read 333,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Hopefully you can have this new hairdresser watch what you’re doing as you try to style it. Maybe she will be able to teach you a better or more correct technique.

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I am so sorry to near this. You have my deepest sympathy. Nothing so worse as having to grow out a bad haircut. On the bright side it's not like you got a tattoo and then regretted it.

Good luck on having your friend try to help.

My Twitter friend was able to help me; she had to revise the cut as it was uneven and she had to do something to "the stack" but I didn't really understand what that was.

She walked me through using a round brush, then she re-wet my hair and coached me through it as I did it myself. That made all the difference.

I did it myself this morning and it's not perfect but it's a LOT better than it was. Between the coaching and revising the haircut, I think I'm on the right track.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:07 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
My Twitter friend was able to help me; she had to revise the cut as it was uneven and she had to do something to "the stack" but I didn't really understand what that was.

She walked me through using a round brush, then she re-wet my hair and coached me through it as I did it myself. That made all the difference.

I did it myself this morning and it's not perfect but it's a LOT better than it was. Between the coaching and revising the haircut, I think I'm on the right track.

Yay! Hope it continues to work for you.
Fyi, with my hair, it usually works fine until that one day when it gets just a little too long, and that’s when I know it’s time for a trim. I’m bad about keeping up with it, so now I just make an appointment for 6 weeks when I go in for a cut/trim.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Yay! Hope it continues to work for you.
Fyi, with my hair, it usually works fine until that one day when it gets just a little too long, and that’s when I know it’s time for a trim. I’m bad about keeping up with it, so now I just make an appointment for 6 weeks when I go in for a cut/trim.

Full disclosure, I just got out of an abusive relationship (so did a close friend of mine, I posted a question about her situation when I first got here) and while I wasn't explicitly forbidden from cutting my hair, my STBX was very controlling and kept saying how he hated short hair on women. He looked at old pictures of me with almost this exact haircut and said things like "You look a lot better with long hair." He would get very upset when I went against his wishes so I knew I couldn't wear my hair the way I wanted even though he never said "Pizza, you are forbidden to cut your hair."

So this haircut was very meaningful and liberating for me but also very stressful when it wasn't working out right. I chose this haircut because I had had it in the past and had been able to style it without too much difficulty...so not being able to style it at all was pretty upsetting!

Not great when you're still pretty raw.

My advice to other ladies like me getting away from emotional/narcissistic abusers: maybe wait a bit longer than I did to cut your hair!

Old 05-18-2023, 06:27 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
I'm late to this post but I thought I'd offer a little advice. "Leave-in" conditioners can leave your hair harder to work with because of the added product on the shafts. The product can make the hair too silky to hold a style meaning the hair falls out of the desired roll.
Don't take every hair stylist's advice as gospel. By experimenting on your own you'll find what works best and it seems like you've made a good start with a new cut. I would try easing up on the leave-in condition and see if that helps. Also, when you use the round brush and hair dryer, use the burst of cold air if your hair dryer has that feature, or give the hair about ten seconds to cool off before you unwind the brush. That can help set the roll.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:31 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:

Yay! I'm happy for you! Hip hip hooray!

Old 05-18-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Yay! I'm happy for you! Hip hip hooray!
Thank you!

Old 05-18-2023, 02:10 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Full disclosure, I just got out of an abusive relationship (so did a close friend of mine, I posted a question about her situation when I first got here) and while I wasn't explicitly forbidden from cutting my hair, my STBX was very controlling and kept saying how he hated short hair on women. He looked at old pictures of me with almost this exact haircut and said things like "You look a lot better with long hair." He would get very upset when I went against his wishes so I knew I couldn't wear my hair the way I wanted even though he never said "Pizza, you are forbidden to cut your hair."

So this haircut was very meaningful and liberating for me but also very stressful when it wasn't working out right. I chose this haircut because I had had it in the past and had been able to style it without too much difficulty...so not being able to style it at all was pretty upsetting!

My advice to other ladies like me getting away from emotional/narcissistic abusers: maybe wait a bit longer than I did to cut your hair!
Can’t rep you yet, but wanted to give you kudos for freeing yourself from that! Good for you! Makes it even better that your new hairdresser was able to give you tips!

Old 05-18-2023, 02:51 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:

Hey, you were making changes. :-) Symbolic, and practical changes in putting the past behind you. I'm thinking congratulations are in order. ;-) Congrats!

Old 05-22-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Can’t rep you yet, but wanted to give you kudos for freeing yourself from that! Good for you! Makes it even better that your new hairdresser was able to give you tips!
Thank you! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Hey, you were making changes. :-) Symbolic, and practical changes in putting the past behind you. I'm thinking congratulations are in order. ;-) Congrats!

Thank you! <3

I had a bad hair day today because I tried something new when I sectioned my hair and ended up with a result I'm not crazy about. I feel OK about it though because at least now I know I'm capable of doing this and missteps are normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care