Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 7,935 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our late 20's and he is in the Navy. We will be relocating to the Norfolk area in the next couple of months. Neither of us have been to the area as of yet but I'm trying to do as much research as possible before we visit to look for housing. We're looking for a single family home 2-3 bdrms, with a garage, under $1400. We currently live in Key West, FL. I think we would like a place with more character since that's what we're used to but I'm not opposed to new construction either. Maybe an area with character and more unique shops and restaurants but with easy access to things like Walmart? Is that too much to ask for? Of course we'd like to be close to beaches as well. We're not that concerned about the work commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 PM

26 posts, read 143,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresino View Post
My husband and I are in our late 20's and he is in the Navy. We will be relocating to the Norfolk area in the next couple of months. Neither of us have been to the area as of yet but I'm trying to do as much research as possible before we visit to look for housing. We're looking for a single family home 2-3 bdrms, with a garage, under $1400. We currently live in Key West, FL. I think we would like a place with more character since that's what we're used to but I'm not opposed to new construction either. Maybe an area with character and more unique shops and restaurants but with easy access to things like Walmart? Is that too much to ask for? Of course we'd like to be close to beaches as well. We're not that concerned about the work commute.
Norfolk and Portsmouth have more 'character' than Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Suffolk, which are essentially giant suburban strip malls. Norfolk has an actual downtown, albeit small, and the tiny artsy community Ghent.

If you live in Virginia Beach, which is VA's largest city, get used to chain stores and chain restaurants. I think there's four Wal-marts in the Virginia Beach alone so take your pick. As long as you have a car you shouldn't have any trouble getting to any of them.

Last edited by Mikado; 07-26-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 12:52 PM

How's the crime in those areas? My husband will be underway a good part of the time and I want to feel safe. Also we'll be stationed there at least 3 years and will most likely have a baby while we're there...

Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM

41 posts, read 128,061 times
I agree that there are a lot of chains and Wal-Marts in the area, but each city has its own unique aspects as well. Most of the development in the area began in the 40's and 50's, so there are not many historically distinct neighborhoods (aside from the aforementioned Ghent in Norfolk). Norfolk is considered the cultural hub of the area, along with Portsmouth's Olde Town and the Peninsula, but I believe you will find character in whichever locality you choose to live. Suffolk, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are their own cities, but for the most part are considered suburbs of Norfolk. They each have many suburban divisions as well as rural sections to choose from. I would say that Suffolk is the most rural, Chesapeake the most suburban, and Norfolk the most urban. From your description, I would recommend Norfolk. The primary Naval base is there, as are public beaches, unique shops in Ghent and downtown, as well as a Walmart. However, Virginia Beach has similar options (if your husband will be stationed at Little Creek or Oceana, they are both located in VB). The Peninsula is also worth taking a look at, but commuting back and forth from Hampton to Norfolk can be frustrating due to traffic at the infamous Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel. As for crime, Norfolk and Portsmouth have some crime problems, and I would say that Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are the safest cities and have the best schools. Hope it helps, and hope you enjoy your stay in Hampton Roads!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM

This feedback is very helpful. Thank you! Does anyone know any reputable property managers that could assist us in finding single family homes for rent?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Also what about the Newport News area?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 PM

136 posts, read 443,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresino View Post
Also what about the Newport News area?
Will your husband be working in Norfolk or Virginia Beach? if you are, i recommend NOT living in Newport News or anywhere on the peninsula. The commute is terrible, (tunnel traffic is something i do not wish on anyone) and that doesn't include the normal wait at the base gate that happens every morning.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Is your husband going to be at Naval Station Norfolk or Little Creek Amphib Base?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 AM

46 posts, read 101,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffConn View Post
Will your husband be working in Norfolk or Virginia Beach? if you are, i recommend NOT living in Newport News or anywhere on the peninsula. The commute is terrible, (tunnel traffic is something i do not wish on anyone) and that doesn't include the normal wait at the base gate that happens every morning.
I would second this. If your husband is working on the south side (norfolk, VA Beach, etc.), stay away from tunnels! I know people who do it all the time and seem to be OK with it but I wouldn't recommend it. Plenty of options available that don't require hitting a tunnel.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
You might try this website too. It's geared more toward the military I think. You can search for rentals too. Good luck.

Military by Owner

And I have to concur with ODUProf and JeffConn. If you're going to be stationed at Norfolk, don't live on the Peninsula (Newport News, Hampton, etc). The tunnel traffic and backups can be a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area