Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times

Advertisements

I, for one, am one of those people who believe Hampton Roads is an all-around decent region with a lot to offer. With the combination of seven large - midsize cities, there's something for everyone. Although I don't live in Hampton Roads anymore, and I probably won't settle there or anything, I do like the area.

I don't post here as often as I used to, and it's mostly because this forum became redundant with the same questions answered with the same negative replies all the time. So here's an attempt to spread some good vibes. Write a post about your favorite neighborhoods/spots/hang outs in the Hampton Roads region. Photos are always welcome, too! I'll start...

Gotta love Ghent. Historical, beautiful architecture, fun restaurants, close to downtown. Such a great neighborhood (note: some photography is mine, some isn't. All pics are links back to the original photo):

Also in Norfolk, I like Lafayette a lot. I'm a sucker for Craftsman architecture, and there's quite a bit there.

In spite of its somewhat negative reputation, I really do love Ocean View.

Other neighborhoods in Norfolk I really like are Colonial Place, Riverview, Bayview, and Northside (among others!).

I don't really care for many of Virginia Beach's inland neighborhoods, but the coastal ones like Chick's Beach, Sandbridge, and the North End are great.

Chick's Beach:

Sandbridge:

North End:

Lastly, my two favorite Portsmouth 'hoods: Olde Towne and Port Norfolk:

Olde Towne:

Port Norfolk:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 03:35 PM

26 posts, read 67,696 times
Default Awesome Pics!

Thanks for posting these.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 AM

55 posts, read 91,128 times
What do you think of Williamsburg? I plan to move there next year. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times
I honestly don't know much Williamsburg, but I know other people on this forum do. I'll leave it to them to post their favorite Williamsburg 'hoods.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM

24 posts, read 67,446 times
I concur with xGrendelx, moved to Ghent about 3 years ago and never get tired of walking these sidewalks and taking in the particular charm of these neighborhoods. Don't forget downtown Norfolk. Really like Portsmouth too, pass the tunnel, park downtown, nice architecture and restaurants. Williamsburg was never my cup of tea. Older population, very residential and quiet, fantastic for a visit with the family from time to time, for the unique History lessons to be had, but could not live there.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 AM

144 posts, read 419,499 times
xGrendelx, thank you for sharing. I've always read posts on Ghent but never knew what it looked like. On the way back from VB last Friday we took the Portsmouth Newport News tunnels and so the photos are a peek inside for me. Very nice!

Rosemaryt714, we took the James River ferry from Surry Co. to Williamsburg and stopped at the Target on the way to VB. The area I saw from the ferry was pretty much of historic sites. Once off the ferry heading to Monticello then to I-64 the area was really nice but, developed. I didnt see any of the historic neighborhoods that we all probably picture in our minds but got the feeling that the city/town provides the best of both worlds, colonial and contemporary.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM

55 posts, read 91,128 times
Thanks for sharing

Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 AM

210 posts, read 416,970 times
I grew up in Thoroughgood and really liked it. A lot of the Virginia Beach inland neighborhoods along the rivers were nice.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,616 times
I think Thalia is really nice but it can be a pricey neighborhood. It's easily walkable to Town Center and although there are tons of trees everywhere, it's very much in the middle of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area