Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 48,266 times

Advertisements

My husband works for the federal government in D.C. but would like to move to Yorktown, Va and find a job at the Naval Base there or surrounding areas. Any suggestion and is Yorktown a nice place to live? Appreciate any help! Thank you, Jinny

Last edited by Jinny; 09-01-2007 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 12:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Yorktown is great place to live. For 400k you can get a nice-sized house in Southern York County's Tabb area. Try that in NoVA. The schools are great, i'll even say they are in a better, more even system than the very overrated Fairfax County school district. And traffic wont give you as much of a headache than in NoVA as long as you avoid crossing any bridges. If you dont have kids you could even throw Hampton or Newport News into the conversation.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:44 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,123 times
We just moved from Yorktown to NOVA because of a job change and only have good things to say about the Yorktown area. We lived there for 7 years and our yougest graduated from Tabb high school. There is much to do and see, the people are very friendly and we really loved the area. Please let me know if you have any particular questions.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Yorktown, VA

Thank you, are the surrounding towns just as nice as Yorktown? My husband would really like to stay with the federal government. So he could probably get a job in Newport News and others. How is the commute to those larger towns from Yorktown? I appreciate any help. Our kids are grown so it is just us and our little jack russell.

We now live in Culpeper and it grew too fast and the traffic is bumper to bumper overnight and now loaded with Hispanics which I don't have a problem with them, its just there are hundreds of them standing all around town all day waiting for contruction jobs, just not comfortable with that.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:39 AM

Thank you, are the surrounding towns just as nice as Yorktown? My husband would really like to stay with the federal government. So he could probably get a job in Newport News and others. How is the commute to those larger towns from Yorktown? I appreciate any help. Our kids are grown so it is just us and our little jack russell.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:24 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,007 times
Most of York County which includes Yorktown, Dare, Grafton & Seaford, James City County,Williamsburg Poquoson and are between 20 and 35 minutes to Newport News. It depends on where in Newport News it would be. Would you be renting or buying ? If you give a few more specifics I can give you more detailed answers about the area. I would think you would like any of these areas if you were moving to the area. Gloucester maybe another consideration also.

Last edited by Mr Williamsburg; 09-07-2007 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-08-2007, 07:23 PM

142 posts, read 567,463 times
Like the other posters, Yorktown is a great place to live. I lived there before living here in Fairfax County, and I truly miss it. You shouldn't have a problem in York County. My parents have a friend who works at the naval base but lives in James City County, which might work for you guys too. Hope things go well!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:35 AM

We would like to buy! We really like Yorktown and Gloucester area! My husband has applied for a job at Fort Monroe but hasn't gotten a reply yet. We really like the Wythe are in Hampton but its too close to the bad part of town and the bad part of Newport News. Its a shame! Thanks, Jinny

Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 AM

My husband has applied at Fort Monroe but hasn't heard anything yet. Any of those type of place for employment would be fine. We now live in Culpeper and he is tired of the commute to DC. Thanks, Jinny

Old 11-17-2007, 07:47 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,123 times
I think I would be careful about the Wythe area in Hampton. Some parts are very nice but others are close to a problem area. Being that schools are not a problem for you, you do have more flexibility but resale might be a concern. They are really doing a nice job in the revitalization of downtown Hampton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area