Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM

48 posts, read 91,303 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the east coast this July. Until recently we were focused on Mount Pleasant, SC just outside Charleston for its wonderful school system ( we have 3 kids 8 and under), its proximity to hospitals ( i am an RN) and beaches.

Mt Pleasant is a generally upscale area with a higher cost living.

We are now looking more into Hampton Roads because the climate is very similar, also features great beaches, but is generally, a more affordable location to live in.

Given our priorities of being near the best schools and hospitals and hopefully still pretty short drive to the beach, what areas are recommended to get a 3 bedroom something for around $1000 a month?

Thanks for any guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
I would re-search your cost of living, I do not think you will find the VB area a cheaper area to live compared to the MP area. To get into the better school districts in VB a 1000 a month is not going to get you much more then a one bedroom apartment.....

Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 AM

48 posts, read 91,303 times
Okay. We are finding out more daily.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:39 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I would re-search your cost of living, I do not think you will find the VB area a cheaper area to live compared to the MP area. To get into the better school districts in VB a 1000 a month is not going to get you much more then a one bedroom apartment.....
Looks like the COL is just about the same.

Mount Pleasant Apartments for Rent - Apartment Rental Listings in Mount Pleasant, SC on ApartmentGuide.com

Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Yes, cost of living is just about the same. I grew up in VB and lived there for 30 years. I have lived in Charleston, SC for 11 years (lived in Mt. Pleasant for 3 years).

I can break it down for you pretty easy....
The schools in Virginia are far better than South Carolina (including Mt. Pleasant)
The weather is about the same, but the winters are colder in Va. Beach than here. And, the summers are very, very hot in Charleston. It rarely snows in either place.
Mt. Pleasant is just a town, so if you like smaller places you would like it, but Va. beach is much larger and a much larger suburban coastal city.
The beaches are similar. The beaches are larger in Va. Beach, and you have the beautiful Chesapeake Bay too.
Charleston is very historic, if you like History. People come to Charleston, Sc for the history and go downtown, They go to Va. Beach for the Beach and the Oceanfront or the Chesapeake Bay.
Well, I like both places, and I can give you more information.......

Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,957 times
It's very hard to get into Mt. Pleasant for $1000 per month. Mount Pleasant has really heated up since Boeing moved into the area and the prices have stabilized on homes. Also, with the foreclosures and short-sales the rental market has become almost non-existent. You might find a townhome with 1300-1500 sf in Mt. Pleasant and keep payments in the 1000-1100 range. It's a great city and the prices are higher due to the excellent schools, the proximity to the beach and the overall "full service" "all-encompassing" nature of the city. It's rapidly becoming a stand-alone city where everything you needs is within 5 miles.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,957 times
Don't give up on Mt. Pleasant - work with a good Realtor or rental management firm and you might make things work.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,272 times
I noticed "Mt Pleasant SC" ; but I just moved to VA (Hampton/Newport) from Charleston SC for family/career. Thought I'd post my 2 cents...

Mt Pleasant/Isle of palms was my spot ! I really thought it was an awesome area, albeit a little to "preppy" at times, but the beaches/atmosphere/people/things to do was superb to me. So far, and maybe because Im a Virginia newbie, I've yet to find that here, even in my trips to VA beach. Honestly VA beach reminds me more of Myrtle beach, rather than Mt Pleasant.

MUSC, Trident hospital and a few other clinics are in the Charleston Area. As a military brat and having a child myself, I've seen school systems all over America, and SC schools weren't 'that' bad. Heck I graduated High School in Mississippi; that is a questionable school system !

Anyhow, I'd think hard about VA beach vs Mt. Pleasant (Charleston and its surrounding areas) move. Good Luck !

Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Default new to VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobblue View Post
I noticed "Mt Pleasant SC" ; but I just moved to VA (Hampton/Newport) from Charleston SC for family/career. Thought I'd post my 2 cents...

Mt Pleasant/Isle of palms was my spot ! I really thought it was an awesome area, albeit a little to "preppy" at times, but the beaches/atmosphere/people/things to do was superb to me. So far, and maybe because Im a Virginia newbie, I've yet to find that here, even in my trips to VA beach. Honestly VA beach reminds me more of Myrtle beach, rather than Mt Pleasant.

MUSC, Trident hospital and a few other clinics are in the Charleston Area. As a military brat and having a child myself, I've seen school systems all over America, and SC schools weren't 'that' bad. Heck I graduated High School in Mississippi; that is a questionable school system !

Anyhow, I'd think hard about VA beach vs Mt. Pleasant (Charleston and its surrounding areas) move. Good Luck !
So, you have knowledge of both areas, that is great. Maybe I can help you out since you are new to VB.
You won't find that "preppy" culture as much (which is cool), you can go to the Chesapeake Bay off shore Drive to go to a great "local" beach. You will learn the schools are much, much better in VB then here in Charleston (public). And the beach there will have much more to do , see, and many more restuarants and places on the water than here.
I guess it all depends on the person's likes and personality...

Do you want a small town (mt. Pleasant) or a larger suburban City?
Do you want an area with the focus on the Oceanfront or Downtown History?
Do you care about the public school system?
Do you work for the Government or private sector ? Va Beach has more jobs because there are more people and it is a larger area, but if you work for the Government you are ok in either it seems
Do you want to live an area that preserves history(Charleston) or is progressive and builds new roads and keeps the streets clean (Vb)?

Old 01-27-2016, 08:22 PM

132 posts, read 144,173 times
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am looking for some insights regarding Mount Pleasant vs VA Beach. I grew up in the NYC suburbs, and moved to Mt P a few years ago. It is definitely a smaller town, and Charleston is a much smaller city, but we really do love it here. We have young children, we love the outdoors, the beach, and the great weather. We have a wonderful neighborhood with new construction, and a built-in network of friends for us and our kids (we live up in Transplant-ville aka N Mt P)

It looks like we will be relocating to Virginia Beach for work, and I was wondering what the comparisons between the two areas are. I know that VB is a much larger, more populated area than Mt P (but probably still not as bad as the NYC suburbs where we are from), the traffic is worse, and the homes in general are older in VB, but could anyone provide more specific details? Is VB more family friendly? Are there any areas or neighborhoods with newer homes or planned communities that have other transplants (not including military bases). The job would be in Chesapeake, so would it be better to live closer to Chesapeake, or further south in VB towards the new construction to avoid traffic? Are there any specific areas (other than Great Neck) that check most of the boxes? Is VB a better place to live overall, and in what ways is it better or worse than Charleston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area