Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 14,722 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a 29 year old single female considering moving to Norfolk for a job opportunity.

My major concerns are:

(1) Safety. I'd like to be able to walk around by myself, even at night. Safety is, by far, my #1 concern.
(2) Amenities. I don't need bars and clubs necessarily, but restaurants and grocery stores are key. If they're within walking distance, even better.
(3) People. I'm almost 30. And I'm single. It would be great if there were other young professionals around to meet.
(4) Outdoor activities. I run for exercise, and while I don't need a park or other green space, I'd like to be able to run a 5 mile loop on the sidewalks and feel safe doing it.
(5) Commute. My office will be in the E. Main/Granby area.

I'll be able to spend around $1200/month on rent. Scanning through the posts on this forum, it seems like Ghent will probably be my best bet. Alternatively, what's up with the area that I've seen designated on craigslist as "Freemason?" It looks like there are some nice apartments there and I think it would be walking distance to my office.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to come for a job? It's not a job that I *need*, but it's a good opportunity, but I'd be making a 3-4 year commitment, so if I think I'd be unhappy living in Norfolk it wouldn't be worth it. I'll be moving from NYC and while I've never really gotten into the whole urban thing here, I do like how easy it is to meet people my age.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,934,416 times
Both Ghent and Freemason are nice areas. Freemason is more low-key since there's not a whole lot in the actual neighborhood other than residences, but it's considered to be a section of Downtown, whereas Ghent is its own district.

If you look at a map, Freemason's borders are W. Brambleton Ave to the North, Boush St to the East, and the water to the West (it kinda makes a triangle shape). Both Ghent and Freemason are walkable neighborhoods, especially with Downtown so close by, and relatively safe in my opinion, but if you're out walking around at night be sure you know your surroundings because it's not hard to wander into some rough neighborhoods in that area. Park Place is just North of 21st Ave from Ghent and not the best place to be alone at night, and the projects on the Eastern side of Downtown (Freemason is on the Western side) are just as bad if not worse.

Ghent has more going on in terms of nightlife and entertainment because of Colley Avenue and 21st Street (both have many shops, restaurants, bars, etc). But Freemason is closer to Downtown and the nightlife on Granby and Monticello Streets.

If it were me, and I had a pick of Freemason or Ghent, I'd go with Freemason. I like that it's more low-key, but only a few blocks from the middle of Downtown. If your office is at E. Main and Granby, you can walk there from anywhere in Freemason. I'd also be willing to bet that Freemason is safer than Ghent, although Ghent is pretty safe for the most part. I'd just rather have all that Downtown offers within walking distance (things like Waterside, the NorVa, Scope, MacArthur Mall, Wells Theatre, Nauticus, etc). Of course it's best if you experienced the area in person before deciding. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Is there anything at waterside?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the informative answer, xGrendelx!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:35 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,934,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Is there anything at waterside?
Restaurants, festivals at Town Point Park, views of the water and Old Town Portsmouth. I think it's pretty nice down there.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 AM

134 posts, read 545,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Derkins12 View Post
Hi,
(1) Safety. I'd like to be able to walk around by myself, even at night. Safety is, by far, my #1 concern.
(2) Amenities. I don't need bars and clubs necessarily, but restaurants and grocery stores are key. If they're within walking distance, even better.
(3) People. I'm almost 30. And I'm single. It would be great if there were other young professionals around to meet.
(4) Outdoor activities. I run for exercise, and while I don't need a park or other green space, I'd like to be able to run a 5 mile loop on the sidewalks and feel safe doing it.
(5) Commute. My office will be in the E. Main/Granby area.
1- Freemason, Ghent, or Downtown are very safe in my opinion. Also consider taking a look at Old Towne Portsmouth. The rents are cheaper over there and you can take a ferry to downtown Norfolk.

2- There are many restaurants to walk to in Downtown, Ghent, and Old Towne Portsmouth. Ghent has 2 walkable grocery stores and Downtown has 1. Portsmouth has none.

3- There are a lot of single men here with all of the military and government contracting jobs.

4- I see lots of people running throuh Ghent and Freemason. Here is trail that connected West Ghent with downtown. (Attractions - Downtown Norfolk)

5- Your commute from Ghent to Downtown will be a breeze. As long as you aren't going through a tunnel its usually not that bad around here. From Freemason or Old Towne you could ride the ferry or walk.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Thanks, mikeas!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM

90 posts, read 288,337 times
Don't do it.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM

134 posts, read 545,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Caroline View Post
Don't do it.
Let me guess. You moved to Virginia Beach because your husband is in the military and got stationed here and now you want to go back home to Colorado?

Old 05-11-2010, 04:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeas View Post
Let me guess. You moved to Virginia Beach because your husband is in the military and got stationed here and now you want to go back home to Colorado?
Ironic, everyone and their mother wants to leave HR and can't while I left HR and probably want to come back and can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area