Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, I was given a ticket for reckless driving - general. I have my court date in 2 weeks. I was at first very troubled over the ticket, as I was told it was a misdemeanor and I'd want a lawyer. But then my parents told me later on I would not; I would only need to explain my situation to the judge and everything would be okay. However, my parents have now talked with several people and are now extremely concerned and thinking I should get a lawyer.

Here's what happened. I was leaving to go to class early morning and was admittedly running a bit late. There was ice on the windshield but I waited for some of it to defrost. And then I pulled out of the driveway and drove toward the exit to the neighborhood. However, around a bend, the sun got in my eyes and was making it hard to see with that space I had through the remaining frost, so I started to pull over with intentions to wait for more frost to clear and bam - hit a parked car. I was going approx. 15 in a 25. The right front side of my car is a bit banged up; luckily the car I hit was neither damaged much besides a few small scuffs AND nobody was in the car. Also, my father was behind me in his car and witnessed the entire thing. We knocked on the door and a young dude answered, it was his car, he didn't know if he should call the police or not and my dad told him he could if he wanted. So the dude called, but he was super cool about everything. Got his mom who was also super cool about everything. Then the cop showed up and everything was suddenly not cool. He seemed very annoyed about everything and by time everything was said and done, I had the ticket.

I am unfortunately a full-time student in nursing school and a fairly new driver. My parents fortunately (and in this case unfortunately) help me with most everything financially but I am so upset that they have to potentially pay for a lawyer, tickets, court costs, etc. Do you think I could explain my situation and ask for driving school and everything could be okay? I was not speeding. I was even trying to pull over. The car owner's mother offered to go to court with me but I'm not sure it would make much of a difference because she didn't actually see it happen. I am so worried over all of this, I understand I made a mistake but I wish I could have been let off with a slap on the wrist or something. I have a clean driving record but I feel that information is not really relevant because I've only been driving a couple years.

Last edited by michellebrianna__; 12-04-2014 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:14 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
Take driving school before the court date as it shows that you're planning ahead. Then, pray for a nice judge.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Sounds like you had the misfortune to get a dick police officer. I wouldn't have cited you for reckless under those circumstances. I imagine this is the kind of thing a judge will toss.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:45 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
They sell amazing devices called ice scrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebrianna__ View Post
A few weeks ago, I was given a ticket for reckless driving - general. I have my court date in 2 weeks. I was at first very troubled over the ticket, as I was told it was a misdemeanor and I'd want a lawyer. But then my parents told me later on I would not; I would only need to explain my situation to the judge and everything would be okay. However, my parents have now talked with several people and are now extremely concerned and thinking I should get a lawyer.

Here's what happened. I was leaving to go to class early morning and was admittedly running a bit late. There was ice on the windshield but I waited for some of it to defrost. And then I pulled out of the driveway and drove toward the exit to the neighborhood. However, around a bend, the sun got in my eyes and was making it hard to see with that space I had through the remaining frost, so I started to pull over with intentions to wait for more frost to clear and bam - hit a parked car. I was going approx. 15 in a 25. The right front side of my car is a bit banged up; luckily the car I hit was neither damaged much besides a few small scuffs AND nobody was in the car. Also, my father was behind me in his car and witnessed the entire thing. We knocked on the door and a young dude answered, it was his car, he didn't know if he should call the police or not and my dad told him he could if he wanted. So the dude called, but he was super cool about everything. Got his mom who was also super cool about everything. Then the cop showed up and everything was suddenly not cool. He seemed very annoyed about everything and by time everything was said and done, I had the ticket.

I am unfortunately a full-time student in nursing school and a fairly new driver. My parents fortunately (and in this case unfortunately) help me with most everything financially but I am so upset that they have to potentially pay for a lawyer, tickets, court costs, etc. Do you think I could explain my situation and ask for driving school and everything could be okay? I was not speeding. I was even trying to pull over. The car owner's mother offered to go to court with me but I'm not sure it would make much of a difference because she didn't actually see it happen. I am so worried over all of this, I understand I made a mistake but I wish I could have been let off with a slap on the wrist or something. I have a clean driving record but I feel that information is not really relevant because I've only been driving a couple years.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:08 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebrianna__ View Post

15 in a 25 is not reckless driving

Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
But hitting a parked car is.........

Failing to completely clear all the car windows, where I live is a $400 fine, and two demerit points.

Learn from your mistakes, and accept that you goofed.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
But hitting a parked car is.........

Failing to completely clear all the car windows, where I live is a $400 fine, and two demerit points.

Learn from your mistakes, and accept that you goofed.

Jim B. In Toronto.
A point well taken.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:13 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
That was reckless. Hopefully you learned from this and it won't happen again. You're lucky it wasn't a person. Why would you ever think it's okay to drive when your windshield isn't clear?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
It was a one-time poster troll - but brings up the point: I see often in winter that some JUST clear a teeny space off the windshield and are driving! Clear off the entire windshield, AND your roof people (as well as headlights and taillights) - or DO NOT DRIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area