Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:51 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

The demand is there. Town center will triple in size before it is all said and done with. The Oceanfront still continue to grow. But this is only for those that can afford to live in these areas. That is the rub. Where are the affordable $800 a month high-rises? They don't exist.And I don't just blame Virginia Beach. The same thing is going on in most American cities. So this new infrastructure you speak of will come off as gentrification. If there were a shortage of inventory in Hampton Roads a developer could just buy a city block, tear down the neighborhood and make it happen. But in this area, this region of the country, the majority of those houses are inhabited. And in Virgina Beach its not Section 8. I would like to see it happen. But I'll curb my enthusiasm and watch the infill projects as they continue to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 01:52 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Virginia Beach did indeed grow from "white flight" from Norfolk many years ago but on it's own right many people moved there from many places. Some moved because of the military and others moved from up north to retire. Housing used to be much much cheaper before the price of real estate went up beginning in about 2003 or so.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM

Indeed Town center is really beginning to take off. I could see this part of the city being full of high rises. Town center is almost built out. This will spark additional buildings or towers being developed.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:56 PM

The demand is there. Town center will triple in size before it is all said and done with. The Oceanfront still continue to grow. But this is only for those that can afford to live in these areas. That is the rub. Where are the affordable $800 a month high-rises? They don't exist.And I don't just blame Virginia Beach. The same thing is going on in most American cities. So this new infrastructure you speak of will come off as gentrification. If there were an excess of inventory in Hampton Roads a developer could just buy a city block, tear down the neighborhood and make it happen. But in this area, this region of the country, the majority of those houses are inhabited. And in Virgina Beach its not Section 8. I would like to see it happen. But I'll curb my enthusiasm and watch the infill projects as they continue to go up.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:58 PM

I too would like to see affordable housing but I doubt it will happen. Apartments and condos are exploding also in downtown Norfolk and I doubt they are any cheaper.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Virginia Beach did indeed grow from "white flight" from Norfolk many years ago but on it's own right many people moved there from many places. Some moved because of the military and others moved from up north to retire. Housing used to be much much cheaper before the price of real estate went up beginning in about 2003 or so.
I agree. I could see a chunk of Norfolk moving there but the city is now bigger than Norfolk and that doesn't happen on White flight alone.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Indeed Town center is really beginning to take off. I could see this part of the city being full of high rises. Town center is almost built out. This will spark additional buildings or towers being developed.
Hopefully I am around to see it happen in my lifetime.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:04 PM

I didn't live in Virginia Beach in the 80s but I've read that it exploded in population during that time. It was kind of like the place to be. Cheaper cost of living plus the beach at your back door. Too bad it's not the same.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:51 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Sounds like someone in Norfolk f%$# up. How do you allow a single "suburb" to out populate your city. It must have been the plan all along. I've never seen that before I'm very curious as to how such a thing.

Usually suburbia is a ring of like 20 to 50 smaller cities that don't really get along with each other but rely on the inner core city in one way or another. I don't see that with Norfolk and Virginia Beach.
IDK, Fairfax/Arlington Co and NoVa in general is more populated than DC or Bmore. Kinda took a lot of jobs away from the core city. Space and height restriction plus crime and what not...not exactly the same but similar. Many of Atlanta's burbs out populate it as well. Norfolk has picked up, and as long as they keep building midrise/highrise apts downtown/ Fort Norfolk and Ocean View we'll get back up to 305,000...I wouldn't be surprised if we are at or above 250,000 now.

Ultimately it was VABs time, and the housing stock reflects that...who knows, with the "new urbanist" movement it might be Suffolk and Isle of Wights time since they have such a blank canvas to work with ...amongst other things.

You got to remember that Norfolk is only 54 some odd sq mi. and VAB is 240 something sq mi. with the largest pleasure beach in the world. Back in them days it became like a land grab I guess. People probably had enough of the tightly packed neighborhoods back then. Plus you gotta remember all this technology and gadgetry of convenience probably had people feeling like they were better off on their own plot of land with their own space and yard, and place to keep their boats, etc. TV, radio,....why do I need to live in a densely packed area to keep abreast of whats goin on? Not to mention a lot of industry/warehouses in Norfolk back then prolly wouldn't be up to code in modern times... add in annual flooding and I can imagine why they ended up tearing down a lot of the old Norfolk...many buildings probably got inundated with mildew, filthy grime and sludge. REAL slum. And of course you gotta know not everyone wanted to be around "party central" when sailors and merchant marines come to town...Norfolk was filled with many bars and tattoo saloons and other seedy establishments that catered to wantoness and debauchery. I imagine there were many fleeing the city because it was out of hand? Sounds like fun NOW, Im sure they thought it was the end of the world back then...which is probably why surrounding counties wouldn't let Norfolk annex anymore land.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 02-22-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 03:12 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
The demand is there. Town center will triple in size before it is all said and done with. The Oceanfront still continue to grow. But this is only for those that can afford to live in these areas. That is the rub. Where are the affordable $800 a month high-rises? They don't exist.And I don't just blame Virginia Beach. The same thing is going on in most American cities. So this new infrastructure you speak of will come off as gentrification. If there were a shortage of inventory in Hampton Roads a developer could just buy a city block, tear down the neighborhood and make it happen. But in this area, this region of the country, the majority of those houses are inhabited. And in Virgina Beach its not Section 8. I would like to see it happen. But I'll curb my enthusiasm and watch the infill projects as they continue to go up.
goofy a lot of properties in Norfolk and VAB are actually owned by the city. It is not traditional gentrification or displacement. The areas where these Gallery | Summer House | Virginia Beach Apartments for Rent are located and Aqua were either parking lots or nickel and dime businesses. Look at the old google maps of the areas and you can tell there is not real gentrification. Matter of fact...look around the Oceanfront and you will see a lot of underutilize areas. Some places get bought up...I have yet to hear of many cases other than the ODU situation where they've actually tried to abuse the eminent domain statute to confiscate peoples businesses, lately. A lot of VAB may not be sec 8 but its not actually out of the price range for redeveloping. Sadly, the days of the $800 month highrises just is not realistic when everyone wants to live in one..." walkable neighborhood, near shopping and near the water" everyone wants the same thing. Until other people start jumping in and building/overbuilding.... people like Gaddams and Thompson can be content with building a midrise or two...charge $12-1500-2200 let everyone get thirsty enough to anticipate the next one to come....wash rinse, repeat. You do have to build up desire and want, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area