Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:20 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have a possible job lined up that will relocate me to Hampton. I'm familiar with the area as I visited fairly often as a child--beach trips, field trips, shopping, events, and my parents had a timeshare in Williamsburg. But I want to know how natives/residents rank the Seven Cities in all terms of livability---economy, history, attractions, demographics, culture, education, etc etc...

I have always been told that Norfolk is 'the' city in the region. Based on my small knowledge of having at some point visited all 7, here's how I would rank them:

1. Norfolk
2. Virginia Beach
3. Newport News
4. Hampton
5. Portsmouth
6. Chesapeake
7. Suffolk

How off am I? Let me know how yall rank the Seven Cities locally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 06:46 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,217 times
Do you really just want to know what is "the city" because not everyone picked Richmond as the primary or secondary city in Virginia in that "pick each state's second city" poll?

When we generally talk about our area it is usually in reference to OUR area or other cities nationwide. When people try to slight our area we don't go around throwing Richmond under the bus or trying to boost our area by demeaning Richmond or generally anywhere else in Virginia, because we generally don't care, in the same way. We generally just highlight our areas pluses, minus mentioning other places in Virginia.

With that said, every thing is up to preference. Norfolk is indeed "the city" as far as traditional city structure, airport, public transportation, museums, operas, theatre, zoo, sports, colleges, downtown, and so on...but all these cities really are their OWN cities (except MAYbe Chesapeake). Virginia Beach is probably the primary city in the whole Commonwealth of Virginia because of population and popularity/reputation. That may be hard for someone from Richmond or elsewhere to deal with, but it is what it is. People tend to think that the different cities compete against each other and it hinders the area. While that may be true in some instances... in many other ways it can be good for one city to push another city to try to do better, especially when its all the same area anyway. I would imagine if Petersburg or Hopewell couldve pushed Richmond by trying to develop themselves, Richmond would probably be a lot more quick on the draw about some things and probably could've came along faster. I think that the attention Hampton Roads got in the 80's/90's and the attention that Northern Virginia and now Raleigh is getting currently (even Charlottesville), is probably what gets Richmonders goat and pushes it to "keep up." Unlike Petersburg and Hopewell...Newport News is home to a massive industry and growing tech sector. Virginia Beach is home to a variety of businesses and tourism. Portsmouth is home to the Ports and shipyard. Hampton is home to NASA, the illustrious Hampton University and Proton Therapy. Everywhere around here has SOMEthing...and Norfolk is in the middle of all that.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 04-11-2015 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 07:24 AM

Nah man, you've completely taken my curiosity out of context. I'm waiting on a background check to clear by Wednesday on this job in Hampton, so I'm looking into the area more than I ever have because I'll be moving there. I've always liked the Tidewater---most people who leave the Tri-Cities after high school either move to the DC area or Hampton Roads, if they don't stay in Greater Richmond. There are dozens of people I grew up/went to school with who live somewhere down Tidewater....

So my question has nothing to do with the second city poll lol. Listen, I was raised between Nova and the Tri-Cities. I've literally been in Richmond hundreds of times. I was in Norfolk this past Monday, Hampton/Newport News yesterday apartment hunting, and as I already stated, I've been to the Tidewater numerous times thru the years. I don't need a poll to tell me Richmond is the alpha city in Virginia. Maybe some people disagree with that, but I would gather most people would agree. My comment on that thread is strictly to say those are non-natives voting Richmond as no. 2. Most Virginians wouldn't say Norfolk is a pound for pound better city than Rich, and it's not really close. Norfolk and Alexandria are on the same plane, maybe the Beach, too...

Anyway, that's not what my intent was, dog. I explained my intent, so chill with the extras. I see you potshotting the Tri-Cities. Petersburg was allowed to fall into neglect because of incompetent local government and it was an old industrial city whose economy never diversified. The Commonwealth neglected both Perersburg and Hopewell, and obviously neither one match any city in your region. Still and all, that is my home, outside of Nova, and I love it for what they are, good bad and ugly...

Old 04-11-2015, 08:32 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,469 times
To answer your question, I think your ranking is spot on.

Personally I put VA Beach at a distant second with Newport News right on its heals.

I like Old Town Hampton and Portsmouth a whole lot (Old Town Portsmouth in particular is a gem). Downtown Portsmouth is second only to Norfolk in the area but the overall city leaves a lot to be desired so Hampton at 4th seems right to me.

Chesapeake just seems like where Norfolk and Virginia Beach go to Sam's Club.
The shopping areas are very nicely landscaped though and the canals are attractive/interesting.

I really like downtown Suffolk. It looks more like a city of the Piedmont (redbrick with white trim, Federal style buildings) but Suffolk seems so far removed from the rest of the area that I personally cant figure out how it fits into metro.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:09 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Okay, I have a possible job lined up that will relocate me to Hampton. I'm familiar with the area as I visited fairly often as a child--beach trips, field trips, shopping, events, and my parents had a timeshare in Williamsburg. But I want to know how natives/residents rank the Seven Cities in all terms of livability---economy, history, attractions, demographics, culture, education, etc etc...

I have always been told that Norfolk is 'the' city in the region. Based on my small knowledge of having at some point visited all 7, here's how I would rank them:

1. Norfolk
2. Virginia Beach
3. Newport News
4. Hampton
5. Portsmouth
6. Chesapeake
7. Suffolk

I can live with this. If you're talking about how urban the cities are this sounds about right.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:01 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,860 times
If you're working in Hampton, you should be living on the peninsula unless you're okay with the possibility of an hour and a half-long commute. One way. On some days.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:59 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
Quote:
education..,
1. Norfolk
2. Virginia Beach
3. Newport News.. Let me know how yall rank the Seven Cities locally!
Murk, good thread. If you're a parent, and public education carries a lot of weight in your calculation.. I would move VB to the top, followed by ChesaFreak.
Some of the public schools in Norfolk, NN, and Portsmouth are (disproportionately) wild.

As far as history, imo., the entire 757 is a great reminder/shrine of early America, English colonialism.
take care, peace.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:16 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:

1. Norfolk
2. Virginia Beach
3. Newport News
4. Hampton
5. Portsmouth
6. Chesapeake
7. Suffolk

I'm from Hampton. How I rank the cities.

Virginia Beach
Chesapeake
Norfolk
Newport News
Hampton
Portsmouth
Suffolk

Hampton does not have anything that would really stand out from the other cities, which I feel is its biggest problem, other than the mediocre public school system. If you do have kids who need public schools, definitely look in York Co, you'll thank me later.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:03 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
Quote:

1. Norfolk
2. Virginia Beach
3. Newport News
4. Hampton
5. Portsmouth
6. Chesapeake
7. Suffolk

If you're wanting to use this to decide where to live you'll be sorry. Everyone has a different top city depending on what they like, but more importantly you're setting yourself up to have to drive the HRBT daily and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! No, I'm not a parent, and as far as what I like. I'm an urbanite, so I want to live in the most urban and trendy area! What areas fit that description on the Peninsula? I really dont want to live across the bridge from where I work, but its not a big deal if I can find a better place to live and play on the Southside. Please let me know the urban hotspots in NN/Hampton...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area