Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,849 times

Advertisements

I would say Virginia Beach is good for retired, middle to upper class people and people who like to relax.
The crime rate here is pretty low, people are friendly, and the climate is good. If you like beach, Oceanfront is a really good place for you to go. The beach is long, and it's not that crowd.
I think the schools here are fine. My mom works in Ocean Lakes High School. She say kids are not that bad compare to other cities.
YET, shopping here is terrible. Although Lynnhaven Mall and Pembroke Mall are nice malls, these two malls are the only malls that is like a mall. In other words, the rest of the malls have NOTHING. AND Lynnhaven Mall and Pembroke Mall has similar stores, so it's kinda like going to same stores but in different locations.
Anyway, if you have a car that works fine, you can just drive to some cities for a small trip like richmond for 3 hours, or even D.C for 3-4 hours and NYC for 6 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banalai View Post
I would say Virginia Beach is good for retired, middle to upper class people and people who like to relax.
The crime rate here is pretty low, people are friendly, and the climate is good. If you like beach, Oceanfront is a really good place for you to go. The beach is long, and it's not that crowd.
I think the schools here are fine. My mom works in Ocean Lakes High School. She say kids are not that bad compare to other cities.
YET, shopping here is terrible. Although Lynnhaven Mall and Pembroke Mall are nice malls, these two malls are the only malls that is like a mall. In other words, the rest of the malls have NOTHING. AND Lynnhaven Mall and Pembroke Mall has similar stores, so it's kinda like going to same stores but in different locations.
Anyway, if you have a car that works fine, you can just drive to some cities for a small trip like richmond for 3 hours, or even D.C for 3-4 hours and NYC for 6 hours.
MacArthur Center is a fine mall if you have the money. Only place with a department store that is a tier above the stuff they offer in Lynnhaven and Pembroke. If you're used to Marshall Fields, or Saks, or Barney's, etc that is about close to that level of retail you'll get in this region.

Also, the Dillards in each mall in Hampton Roads changes based upon the socioeconomic condition of that neighborhood. So the Dillards in MacArthur Center is a step above Greenbrier, but then again Greenbrier Dillards is probably a step above Patrick Henry, etc. Not sure about Lynnhaven Mall Dillards I've never been in that one.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:41 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
MacArthur Center is a fine mall if you have the money. Only place with a department store that is a tier above the stuff they offer in Lynnhaven and Pembroke. If you're used to Marshall Fields, or Saks, or Barney's, etc that is about close to that level of retail you'll get in this region.

Also, the Dillards in each mall in Hampton Roads changes based upon the socioeconomic condition of that neighborhood. So the Dillards in MacArthur Center is a step above Greenbrier, but then again Greenbrier Dillards is probably a step above Patrick Henry, etc. Not sure about Lynnhaven Mall Dillards I've never been in that one.
Do people really care about shopping when choosing a place to live? Aside from the grocery store, hardware store, and restaurants I get most things on Amazon anyways. Maybe the social circles I frequent are not the norm but I don't know anyone that cares if we have fancy retail stores here... my understanding was that retail is struggling most places anyways.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Do people really care about shopping when choosing a place to live? Aside from the grocery store, hardware store, and restaurants I get most things on Amazon anyways. Maybe the social circles I frequent are not the norm but I don't know anyone that cares if we have fancy retail stores here... my understanding was that retail is struggling most places anyways.
It wasn't a deal breaker for me, and I didn't research it before I moved here, but it was disappointing and took some getting used to. But that was before Town Center. The situation is a lot better now.

Plus I'm a mall nerd and I'm going to check out everything, whether I make a purchase or not, so it is a nice way to pass the time. I can't speak for everyone, and I don't presume to, but the biggest concern I have is the job situation here. I do okay. People should research what a city has to offer relative to their skills before moving anywhere. If the jobs aren't great it doesn't matter about the shopping. Conversely, a lack of shopping options does speak to the culture of a place, and to discretionary income.

For example the fact that there are stores here that carry merchandise that is more expensive than what they offer in my hometown tells me that incomes are higher here, and that people have the income to makes those purchases after other bills are paid. So the median income should be higher here.

The Internet is fine and all, but I need to see the items, touch them, try them on for size. I can better assess an item in person.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Retail is struggling in impoverished and working class areas. Malls in upper class and wealthy areas are booming. That is one of the reasons why my hometown hasn't seen a new mall since the seventies but nearby Cleveland has opened up as many malls as my hometown has, since the seventies, some downtown and some in suburbia, and they're all doing well.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
It wasn't a deal breaker for me, and I didn't research it before I moved here, but it was disappointing and took some getting used to. But that was before Town Center. The situation is a lot better now.

Plus I'm a mall nerd and I'm going to check out everything, whether I make a purchase or not, so it is a nice way to pass the time. I can't speak for everyone, and I don't presume to, but the biggest concern I have is the job situation here. I do okay. People should research what a city has to offer relative to their skills before moving anywhere. If the jobs aren't great it doesn't matter about the shopping. Conversely, a lack of shopping options does speak to the culture of a place, and to discretionary income.

For example the fact that there are stores here that carry merchandise that is more expensive than what they offer in my hometown tells me that incomes are higher here, and that people have the income to makes those purchases after other bills are paid. So the median income should be higher here.

The Internet is fine and all, but I need to see the items, touch them, try them on for size. I can better assess an item in person.
No doubt it is an indicator, I just have a hard time believing people generally care that much about shopping when deciding where to live these days. As long as there are places to get what you need it seems like jobs and COL would be much bigger issues.

I guess all of the new stuff going in at Pembroke and Town Center is a good sign then... REI, Nordstrom Rack, Fresh Market, Anthropologie, etc... I dunno, it just doesn't matter that much to me. Maybe if an IKEA opened up I would care but beyond that just give me groceries and a place to watch the game with a beverage and I am happy.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I guess all of the new stuff at Pembroke and Town Center is a good sign then... REI, Nordstrom Rack, Fresh Market, Anthropologie, etc... I dunno, it just doesn't matter that much to me. Maybe if an IKEA opened up I would care but beyond that just give me groceries and a place to watch the game with a beverage and I am happy.
Those are very good signs. I welcome an IKEA, not really sure why there isn't one in Hampton Roads. Who knows what may happen in the future.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:10 AM

One more reason to go to Pembroke! I thought they were building something over there I didn't know what it was ��

Old 05-04-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
One more reason to go to Pembroke! I thought they were building something over there I didn't know what it was ��
Haven't seen any updates lately but I remember reading this over Christmas break. The area isn't growing as fast as some may like but every time I look there is something new down near Town Center...

New year could bring new stores to Pembroke Mall | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Everything West from Town Center to Witchduck could be redone eventually... the sky really is the limit for that part of town if it is done right.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Haven't seen any updates lately but I remember reading this over Christmas break. The area isn't growing as fast as some may like but every time I look there is something new down near Town Center...

New year could bring new stores to Pembroke Mall | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Everything West from Town Center to Witchduck could be redone eventually... the sky really is the limit for that part of town if it is done right.
I read an article from February that confirms it.

Its a work in progress. It is easy to forget that the city's plan for Virgina Beach is over 50 years. That means I'll likely be dead before its finished. But it does mean that the landscape will be unrecognizable by them.

This should put Town Center on the level of Center City in Philadelphia, at the very least. I don't think people can wrap their minds around that vision. I've always maintained that Virginia Beach has enough land to go pound for pound with any downtown district in America. It is just a matter of funding, and execution.

Personally, if Town Center taps out at 100,000 or even 50,000 people it could be considered more than a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area