Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

personally, i would try to rent short-term there maybe 3/6 months. That will give you the best chance to get the actual feel of living there, without too much of a commitment. The worst-case scenario is that Green Run will be the pit that it is portrayed as and you may have to relocate when you lease nears its end. Even after that you'll have only lost 6 months. I know people who bought first thing in NoVA and now regret it b/c they wanna get out but cant move their homes off the market.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 AM

25 posts, read 42,632 times
Thanks to everyone who responded. But we have decided not to pursue that house in Green Run, not because it is a "bad" area, but because the house did not fit our needs, so we are off looking at other houses in the HR area. Again, thanks.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 PM

58 posts, read 211,639 times
Hey there,
I agree with everyone else about Green Run. You may want to try the Brandon area...We currently live there right now...We are actually trying to sell our house because we are relocating, but this was an affordable area with good schools which was why we moved in..It is in a similar price range to Green Run...but not the same type of area if that makes sense. We looked at Green Run when we bought our house as well.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:22 PM

24 posts, read 158,540 times
Every high school student knows that Green Run hs is the place for guns. It's like saying Cox is the place for drugs, and Bayside is for gangs. All true statements. I would not on my life, drive through Green Run at night.

It was originally a planned community, and back in the day, it was a great place, and then it got run down.

If you are single, you may like it. If you have children in school, you might want to consider someplace farther out in the 'burbs. Honestly, you will not get a feel for anyplace, unless you drive through it at night. Don't be so quick to say, "but it sounds this way." Everyplace looks good on paper.

Stay in an extended hotel suite for a month and check the place out first. Green Run isn't just run down--even the 7-11 looks old--but it's congested, and the free clinic is less than a hundred yards from the entrance to the complex.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:05 AM

22 posts, read 146,869 times
Default you ingrate!

Hi My ex boyfriend's brother goes to Green Run High School! the area is ggrreat people say avoid it because even though Virginia Beach is majority White and Asian blacks make up a good number of the CHimney Hill and Green Run area! people stop the sterotyping and the foolishness this is HAMPTONROADS again its a military area people are clashed to gether to live in and out all the time you dont know the truth until you live there! I have been in the GR area plenty of times and the homes are grreat you are in reach of shopping and good 10 minuted from hitting the Ocean Front! Its not bad Minorities= BAD???? To all of you who are saying that GREen Run I call that the NYC of High Schools in Virginia Beach though I attended the Valley of Virignia Beach Cox Hs.. I can say GR is VERY VERY diverse not just black and white or asian but Latino and Indians and many other ethnicities as well. THe school is one level high school with a lot of excitement and good teachers how else would the class of 2005 and 2006 have all but 13 seniors graduate out of a class of 310? Thats darn good!

Open up your mind and broaden your horizions! all people of color arent bad and just because their in the neighborhood doesnt mean its goin to become crime invested etc I lived in a White upscale neighborhood I am white but I had two black girls that lived on the same block as me and their families had class so dont judge books by the covers! and Research Virgnia!! Hamptonroads area know what youre dealing with! dont blame the area its the people who are clashed into one with all their cultureand noise and backgrounds all clashing to one!

visit the area yourself

Old 02-11-2008, 02:40 PM

132 posts, read 661,172 times
Wow,that was rough. Anyhow, I have lived in VB for 35 years and know the area pretty good. It's not that the Green Run area is horrible, it is just not one of the better areas of the city. As for the previous poster, unfortunately crime rates and school test scores almost always revolve around racial make-up of the area, and that's just a fact. If you are putting your children in school, do your research on the schools. Try greatschools.com or schoolmatters.com. Green Run HS always rates the lowest in VB.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM

43 posts, read 214,198 times
Most people that talk bad about the Green Run area don't know what they are talking about. The people that you will see bad mouthing it hear things and don't live here (just like emeraldgirl who says she hasn't been here since '92; that's 16 years ago!). My wife and I have been here 4 years and have not experienced any problems at all and we have neighbors that keep to themselves and don't cause any trouble. We would probably stay here for a long time in our home if we weren't moving because of our jobs. Unfortunately we'll be putting our house on the market in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the comments, but to be honest I found that greatschools.com an schoolmatters and the rest of them are ok in showing the test scores, but the not the true nature of the school. You have to go and visit the schools, talk with principals, teachers other parnets. You need to do the research, and by research I mean you may have to make the effort and visit the schools. If the house would have fit our needs we would have purchased in Green Run, because we talked to the schools and found that they are still battling the sterotypes from many years ago. I do not agree that low test scores = high crime rates, yes statistics can be used to show that, but lets face it, statistics unless they are used properly are just an opinion.

Again, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4pits View Post
Wow,that was rough. Anyhow, I have lived in VB for 35 years and know the area pretty good. It's not that the Green Run area is horrible, it is just not one of the better areas of the city. As for the previous poster, unfortunately crime rates and school test scores almost always revolve around racial make-up of the area, and that's just a fact. If you are putting your children in school, do your research on the schools. Try greatschools.com or schoolmatters.com. Green Run HS always rates the lowest in VB.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 AM

Brovo, Brovo.... I have to agree with you and it is rough, but lets face it, discrimination because of race, low grades or whatever you use is still alive and well today. Yes I agree that each city has a crime area, but that does not mean that all of the people that live there are bad or evil or criminals. You have to visit the area. I am relocating from Utah to VA due a job change, long story on how the job found me, but anyway. If I listened to everyone's negative opinion about every area of Hampton Roads, I would say I would have to live in North Carlonia and commute everyday. Norfolk has a bad rep on this site, but I have found some very nice neighborhoods with good people in them, people who care about their neighbors, care about their houses and neighborhoods. I am finding that most negative I have seen is usually linked to a past event, not a recent past event, but many years ago event. This is the case for Green Run High School, it is a shame, but in life we must look to find the diamonds, because if we judge everything by appearance or hear say, then we could miss some very enjoyable times. VaBeachgal, I know that some may comment on your feelings, which appear to run very deep, but know that there are others out there who agree with you. I just think we as people need to take the time and stop and look for the beauty in things around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgal View Post
Hi My ex boyfriend's brother goes to Green Run High School! the area is ggrreat people say avoid it because even though Virginia Beach is majority White and Asian blacks make up a good number of the CHimney Hill and Green Run area! people stop the sterotyping and the foolishness this is HAMPTONROADS again its a military area people are clashed to gether to live in and out all the time you dont know the truth until you live there! I have been in the GR area plenty of times and the homes are grreat you are in reach of shopping and good 10 minuted from hitting the Ocean Front! Its not bad Minorities= BAD???? To all of you who are saying that GREen Run I call that the NYC of High Schools in Virginia Beach though I attended the Valley of Virignia Beach Cox Hs.. I can say GR is VERY VERY diverse not just black and white or asian but Latino and Indians and many other ethnicities as well. THe school is one level high school with a lot of excitement and good teachers how else would the class of 2005 and 2006 have all but 13 seniors graduate out of a class of 310? Thats darn good!

Open up your mind and broaden your horizions! all people of color arent bad and just because their in the neighborhood doesnt mean its goin to become crime invested etc I lived in a White upscale neighborhood I am white but I had two black girls that lived on the same block as me and their families had class so dont judge books by the covers! and Research Virgnia!! Hamptonroads area know what youre dealing with! dont blame the area its the people who are clashed into one with all their cultureand noise and backgrounds all clashing to one!

visit the area yourself

Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclboro View Post
Most people that talk bad about the Green Run area don't know what they are talking about. The people that you will see bad mouthing it hear things and don't live here (just like emeraldgirl who says she hasn't been here since '92; that's 16 years ago!). My wife and I have been here 4 years and have not experienced any problems at all and we have neighbors that keep to themselves and don't cause any trouble. We would probably stay here for a long time in our home if we weren't moving because of our jobs. Unfortunately we'll be putting our house on the market in a couple of weeks.
That is great that you and your wife love living there! I think it is pretty harsh to say that I don't know what I am talking about just because we have a difference of opinion regarding the area. I have lived in the HR area most of my life up until last November, not 16 years ago! I moved from GR, but still lived in surrounding cities. I think that qualifies as a candid response in regards to the location.

Last edited by emeraldgirl; 02-12-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area