Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,077 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering a job at Langley AFB and would love to live in Williamsburg. How bad is the traffic on Friday afternoons in the summer? I've been reading that there is or was a widening project for the main highway I 64.

I live in Oklahoma City now and here we have very little to no traffic. I drive 40 to 45 minutes to work. I have been in Oklahoma for 21 years but I feel it is time to live closer to family that lives in Maryland. If I don't do it now very likely I won't do it ever and will later regret it.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikoz View Post
Hello,
I am considering a job at Langley AFB and would love to live in Williamsburg. How bad is the traffic on Friday afternoons in the summer? I've been reading that there is or was a widening project for the main highway I 64.

I live in Oklahoma City now and here we have very little to no traffic. I drive 40 to 45 minutes to work. I have been in Oklahoma for 21 years but I feel it is time to live closer to family that lives in Maryland. If I don't do it now very likely I won't do it ever and will later regret it.

Thank you.

Traffic is pretty heavy Friday evenings going East in summer because a lot of people from DC and Richmond are going to the beach.

Some people from other areas are kind of surprised at the traffic here and dont realize when you add up all of the cities the metro has about 1.7 million people. Biggest metro in America with no pro sports team.

What kind of hours would you be working? If youre living on the closer end of Williamsburg its about 35 minutes with no traffic and drving about 5 mph over. Closer to 45-1hr if traffic is bad.

Any reason you're set on Williamsburg? If i worked at Langley id find a place in York county or a nicer area of hampton (they exist)

Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 AM

553 posts, read 615,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikoz View Post
Hello,

Thank you.
For information on the I-64 widening project, visit the project web site. In short, they are scheduled to complete Segment 2 of 3 in the spring, which will add a 3rd travel lane in each direction between mile markers 241 and 248. So if you were to get on I-64 at the eastern end of the VA-199 loop (exit 242) you'd have 3 lanes for the length of the interstate portion of your commute.

The first segment extended a third travel lane in each direction from the area between the Fort Eustis and Jefferson Ave exits (around MM 253) to the current pinch point at MM 248, relieving a massive afternoon commuting bottleneck where westbound travel lanes reduced from four to two in about half a mile.

The third segment (scheduled completion Fall 2021) will add a third lane in each direction out to Lightfoot (the western 199 loop exit).

There is also a similar widening project in progress in the Richmond area, which will provide two more lanes of travel from MM 200 to 205 in Henrico and New Kent Counties. Scheduled completion is Fall 2019.

All told, these widening projects will reduce the amount of "two lane" I-64 travel between Hampton Roads and Richmond nearly in half, from 53 miles to about 27 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing2400 View Post
Traffic is pretty heavy Friday evenings going East in summer because a lot of people from DC and Richmond are going to the beach.

Some people from other areas are kind of surprised at the traffic here and dont realize when you add up all of the cities the metro has about 1.7 million people. Biggest metro in America with no pro sports team.

What kind of hours would you be working? If youre living on the closer end of Williamsburg its about 35 minutes with no traffic and drving about 5 mph over. Closer to 45-1hr if traffic is bad.

Any reason you're set on Williamsburg? If i worked at Langley id find a place in York county or a nicer area of hampton (they exist)
Austin is bigger, though they will have Major League Soccer (if that counts) in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area