Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how the job market in the HR area is for IT? i know not as big as up here and i know not as big pay (unless govt) but i was curious.

ideally i would like to be in va beach (around the chicks beach area, but im open really_ but im open to be close to whereever id land ajob.

I heard commuting to williamsburg ( or towards it) is bad, but im not sure on a scale of 1-10 compared to say, centreville,va to Rockville,MD how bad that commute would be.

If im not mistaken, A user jillybean used to be based in nova? Its been a while since i last posted.

anyway, eventually once my inheritance lands, ill have roughly 260-280k to buy a 2 bedroom condo. But for now, id rent ( in regards to living).

Im single, mid 30s if tha helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 12:02 PM

177 posts, read 654,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I was wondering how the job market in the HR area is for IT? i know not as big as up here and i know not as big pay (unless govt) but i was curious.

ideally i would like to be in va beach (around the chicks beach area, but im open really_ but im open to be close to whereever id land ajob.

I heard commuting to williamsburg ( or towards it) is bad, but im not sure on a scale of 1-10 compared to say, centreville,va to Rockville,MD how bad that commute would be.

If im not mistaken, A user jillybean used to be based in nova? Its been a while since i last posted.

anyway, eventually once my inheritance lands, ill have roughly 260-280k to buy a 2 bedroom condo. But for now, id rent ( in regards to living).

As you said, the IT job market is way better in NOVA than this area, but there are IT jobs to be had here. Most would be centered around Va Beach/Norfolk. I drive into VB every day and see the masses driving to get out of VB to wherever their job is.

Driving to Williamsburg would be brutal...going through a two lane traffic slows everything down and once the summer season hits, I wouldn't want to be in that.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:40 PM

43 posts, read 47,538 times
Government contractor jobs are plentiful (Booz employs quite a few), but there aren't as many big employers here. A family member came here from NOVA and has a good job with a young, agile company that he said reminds him of the typical innovative NOVA companies. Pay is much lower, but you can get a decent home here for $250k and a great home in a great district for $400k, which is unheard of in NOVA. Quality of life here is far better according to several family members.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:18 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Primarily contracting with the government in this area. But not all of it.

There are a lot of really small shops in this region. Stuff like Amplified IT in Norfolk. Or InMotion Hosting in Virginia Beach. You don't have to work for the military. That is a misconception. IT is everywhere in all towns big and small. But the money might not be as good, or as good as it would be working for Google, Microsoft, Amazon, etc.

Last edited by goofy328; 03-05-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Jillybean720 shows up on both forums. Not sure where he or she is actually based out of.

A lot of people will be from here, or based here, and then continue to post long after they've left Hampton Roads. It isn't unusual.

If I ever leave and keep on posting on this board discourage me, for my own good. To each their own but I think one should move on a lot of people keep coming back to troll the forum and they should just let Hampton Roads go. If one doesn't live here and they already know how things work here there's no real reason why they should stick around, in my opinion. Might be different if someone actually grew up here or was born here, as I still check out my hometown's forum from time to time.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:31 PM

184 posts, read 245,167 times
I agree with what others are saying about the jobs and pay scale. With respect to driving and traffic, we are prisoners here, on what we call the "Southside" which includes Norfolk and Virginia Beach, to the tunnels and bridges. And it is worse in the Summertime when we have many tourists visit. So I would recommend that is you get a job in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Chesapeake are that you live in one of these areas. For 260-280k you can get a very nice condo OR single family home not far from chic's beach.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmac View Post
I agree with what others are saying about the jobs and pay scale. With respect to driving and traffic, we are prisoners here, on what we call the "Southside" which includes Norfolk and Virginia Beach, to the tunnels and bridges. And it is worse in the Summertime when we have many tourists visit. So I would recommend that is you get a job in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Chesapeake are that you live in one of these areas. For 260-280k you can get a very nice condo OR single family home not far from chic's beach.
Escape from New York

Old 03-06-2019, 05:33 AM

43 posts, read 47,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Primarily contracting with the government in this area. But not all of it.

There are a lot of really small shops in this region. Stuff like Amplified IT in Norfolk. Or InMotion Hosting in Virginia Beach. You don't have to work for the military. That is a misconception. IT is everywhere in all towns big and small. But the money might not be as good, or as good as it would be working for Google, Microsoft, Amazon, etc.
Marathon Consulting in VB, Grow and Dominion (large) in Norfolk

Old 03-06-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oduengineer88 View Post
Marathon Consulting in VB, Grow and Dominion (large) in Norfolk
There's a lot here. People forget that IT in Virginia goes way back. AOL was in Virginia before they moved to New York City.

OP should have no problem finding work and earning enough to live well here.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:52 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Quote:

I think your analogy is more like commuting from centreville, va to Columbia MD. At the end of the day, it’s sorta the same metro area but sorta not. There are a lot of miles and multiple bad spots for traffic, I wouldn’t recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area