Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 02:10 PM

27 posts, read 39,317 times

Advertisements

Thank you again Goofy328 for an excellent and well thought out response to my questions! You covered a lot of the areas I was interested in knowing more about from the locals perception. When VB showed up as rated #1 destination to live in in a recent article, all I saw was a great deal of laughter, ridicule and discontent from residents there who felt it was no where close to being a winning destination. Most people take a certain level of pride in their hometown, even if it has “issues”, so I couldn’t understand why residents were so unhappy. I’ve only lived in NOVA, so I have no feel for the lower half of the state. Now I think I have a better understanding of the issues people are unhappy with. Thank you for sharing your insights - it’s been truly helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 02:31 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbazan1 View Post
Thank you again Goofy328 for an excellent and well thought out response to my questions! You covered a lot of the areas I was interested in knowing more about from the locals perception. When VB showed up as rated #1 destination to live in in a recent article, all I saw was a great deal of laughter, ridicule and discontent from residents there who felt it was no where close to being a winning destination. Most people take a certain level of pride in their hometown, even if it has “issues”, so I couldn’t understand why residents were so unhappy. I’ve only lived in NOVA, so I have no feel for the lower half of the state. Now I think I have a better understanding of the issues people are unhappy with. Thank you for sharing your insights - it’s been truly helpful.
The cities in Hampton Roads have a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and are low on crime and low on unemployment, but there isn't anything spectacular, no wow factor, around here. Architecture is conservative, same as most things around here. We're in a bubble, and with most things sometimes it is easier to stay in that bubble where it's warm than to venture outside and have to deal.

Residents that laughed at that article just want Virginia Beach to be on the same parity with similar cities in the same weight class. It should be. But it is difficult to qualify or differentiate Virginia Beach in a way that adequately describes what it is to the world. But there are gradual changes and whatever Virginia Beach is or will be will come in it's own time. I've seen a lot of changes since I've moved here. Instead of getting some Amazon, some NBA team, some NFL team, some this, some that, to come here, this region is going to have to create something special of it's own. At the end of the day it is better when it happens that way.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbazan1 View Post
Thank you for your reply Goofy328. Are you saying that people do not enjoy living in Hampton Roads on a long term basis? Is it because of the high military turnover in the area, traffic congestion, weather, cost of living, low salaries...? Why is it so hard for people to move away, if they are wanting to relocate? Why are residents so unhappy? Really appreciate your honesty, especially since we’re coming from another area where residents are growing very unhappy with what’s going on around them.
I’ll chime in as someone who grew up in Hampton Roads (albeit the opposite part from VA Beach, Hampton) and lives in Northern VA now. Hampton Roads is a slower pace of life area which is influenced by the military. A lot of military retire in the area. The military housing allowances have caused housing prices to rise to make the area one of the worst in the country in regard to the relationship with what people actually make, especially those who aren’t afflilated with the military. You aren’t going to have a lot of fun when you are trying to pay the rent on a low paying job.

The HR area does lack amenities large metro areas have aside from the beach. Those amenities are a distraction for some for high rent. Lord knows I would have left DC long ago if there was nothing here.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:57 AM

178 posts, read 282,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I’ll chime in as someone who grew up in Hampton Roads (albeit the opposite part from VA Beach, Hampton) and lives in Northern VA now. Hampton Roads is a slower pace of life area which is influenced by the military. A lot of military retire in the area. The military housing allowances have caused housing prices to rise to make the area one of the worst in the country in regard to the relationship with what people actually make, especially those who aren’t afflilated with the military. You aren’t going to have a lot of fun when you are trying to pay the rent on a low paying job.

The HR area does lack amenities large metro areas have aside from the beach. Those amenities are a distraction for some for high rent. Lord knows I would have left DC long ago if there was nothing here.
Yea I agree I recently went to the Dallas Fort Worth Texas area for a few weeks. And I was so shocked on how a 400k house is like there compared to here.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:10 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
Yea I agree I recently went to the Dallas Fort Worth Texas area for a few weeks. And I was so shocked on how a 400k house is like there compared to here.
And Dallas/Ft. Worth is a much larger area. But it is not a retirement area, which is why prices continue to be high in this area.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:31 PM

25 posts, read 16,681 times
How is that any of your business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Why not let him go to college without his parents?

Old 11-01-2019, 06:25 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
OP pick the area that is giving you the best quality of life for what you want but as for the schools you would get better value from a school based on its academic strength and not its faith . Regents is not well regarded and its leader is not someone I would want speaking on my behalf. Liberty is better of the two but it has had its own holy war going on internally.

Your investing in your sons education get the best result, he'll have to deal with the unwashed masses at some point in his life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area