Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 11,894 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I grew up in VA and have been out of the state for a while. I'm looking to move my family near the Langley/Poquoson area.

I searched the forums, and it looks like noise near the Newport News/Williamsburg Intl. airport isn't too bad, but I didn't find too much about Langley AFB. I found the thread with the Hampton city website showing noise contours but was curious how that compares to reality.

- Is Poquoson fairly quiet, or would a place further up the road such as Grafton, Yorktown, or Williamsburg be better?

- Do Langley pilots fly a lot of touch & goes in the pattern like their Oceana counterparts, or is it mainly straight in & out approaches?

- What are the common flight paths for Langley aircraft (i.e. areas to avoid)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 14,291 times
I live 4 miles from Langley. They do a lot of runs during the day (during work hours) but honestly you get use to it you don't even notice it after awhile. And I live in an apartment and you really can't hear it inside just when you're outside.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie10s View Post
I live 4 miles from Langley. They do a lot of runs during the day (during work hours) but honestly you get use to it you don't even notice it after awhile. And I live in an apartment and you really can't hear it inside just when you're outside.
Yep lived less than 3 miles from the base, got used to it. Now i live in NoVA a few miles from Reagan Airport and the Pentagon, let's just say i'd kill to be back at Langley.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:01 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
We lived about 4 miles from Langley (very near the Poquoson border) for 7 years and only occassionaly noticed the noise. I think they usually take off from the base and head out over the ocean and you don;t hear a thing. It is a great area!!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 68,182 times
Ditto. Sometimes maybe once or twice a year, Langley hosts an air show...I do remember hearing aircraft during that time. I used to work two blocks fromthe Langley security gate and the jet noise was pretty loud. However my house was located further away (maybe 5 miles), noticeably quieter. Nothing like Oceana.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,075 times
I live in Tidemill farms. A mile from base. I don't even hear the noise anymore, unless I'm outside trying talk to someone. It's only noisy all day(business hours, never before or after) about three or four times a month...that I notice.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 10-15-2008 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: removed ad for selling house

Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM

162 posts, read 638,637 times
I work right by Langley. If I leave around 6 p.m., I can hear the bugle. We rarely notice the noise while at work unless we're looking out the window at the time. Or if we're on a conference call. People on the other end have heard them and asked us to put our phone on mute.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM

140 posts, read 540,723 times
I live in Poquoson and rarely notice the jet noise. From the far end of Poquoson, you can actually see Langley AFB and I still didn't notice that much noise when I used to live in that area of the town. Maybe I just have become used to it! As you mentioned, there are charts for areas around Langley, but not for the Newport News-Williamsburg airport. I've shown property in Newport News and York County where some pretty large planes flew right over the house. Your best bet is to ask neighbors after you find a house you are interested in purchasing (before putting in the offer).

Old 08-04-2009, 02:05 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,424 times
I don't think the jet noise around Langley is anywhere near as loud as it is over in the Oceana/Little Creek areas. I've been in the Mall over there and it sounded like the planes were going to fly through the building. I'm near Langley and the jetts fly over all the time and most of the time I dont even notice unless one of the kids points to the sky and says "Jetts!". Heck, we don't even hear the Langley Speedway anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area