Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 10,940 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Ocean View and moved away 10 years ago. Thanks for giving me a little laugh while I was feeling homesick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 PM

71 posts, read 337,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by [B
citydweller[/b]
Ok, this is not everyone by any means but WHY do some people (I saw it happen twice while driving on VB Blvd tonight and notice it quite a bit) race to out run someone in another lane only to pull in front of them and quickly turn??! That so disturbs me. I try to keep my speed up to keep it from happening but still invariably someone will want to drive much faster than me only to swerve into my lane and make me stomp on the brakes while they turn. /rant
xGrendelx;8834432]Haha, it happens to the best of us. I always enjoy how long it takes for people at red lights to get going once it turns green. I mean, I'm not expecting them to step on it like a drag car, but a 5 second pause once it turns green to simply apply the gas is a bit frustrating.
What gets me are the people who cut you off in the left lane (when there was CLEARLY plenty of open road behind you) and then drive SLOWER than you were driving, causing you to slam on the brakes. And they don't ever get back over. They just stay in front of you, puttering 10 mph under the speed limit until you are forced to pass them in the RIGHT lane...uggh...

Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelef1l View Post
What gets me are the people who cut you off in the left lane (when there was CLEARLY plenty of open road behind you) and then drive SLOWER than you were driving, causing you to slam on the brakes. And they don't ever get back over. They just stay in front of you, puttering 10 mph under the speed limit until you are forced to pass them in the RIGHT lane...uggh...
Yes. Quite lame. And it happens SOOO often. I really love it when the person who cuts you off is pulling a trailer. That's the best.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,250 times
OMG I read that list and was laughing so hard jeez I'm such a local...I moved up to NH within the past 2 years but I've told a few people in New England if you can drive here in Hampton Roads you can pretty much drive anywhere on the planet.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
That is all very true! I use to live in Norfolk, but now I live in Texas and one thing I noticed right after moving is that when I told people that I use to live in Norfolk, they looked at me strange because people who aren't natives of the Norfolk area say it differently than others do. Natives pronounce it like"Naw-fick" or something kinda like that, where as others pronounce it like "Nor-folk".
Just recently experienced this myself. I was telling a friend here in SF that I was born in Norfolk, so she asked what it was like and I told her and we had a nice conversation about the city. I even showed her some pictures of it. Then she said her mother was born in Virginia, so she texted her to find out what part. A minute later she said she was born in "Nor-folk or Norfork or something like that," like she'd never heard of it haha. I said, "That's where I'm from. That's we've been talking about." Then the light-bulb came on, and I had to explain to her what a Tidewater dialect was.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Just recently experienced this myself. I was telling a friend here in SF that I was born in Norfolk, so she asked what it was like and I told her and we had a nice conversation about the city. I even showed her some pictures of it. Then she said her mother was born in Virginia, so she texted her to find out what part. A minute later she said she was born in "Nor-folk or Norfork or something like that," like she'd never heard of it haha. I said, "That's where I'm from. That's we've been talking about." Then the light-bulb came on, and I had to explain to her what a Tidewater dialect was.
lol... wow thats crazy..... but I hate when Norfolk is pronounced correctly, which is actually the wrong way to say it...lol.. its so hard on the ears.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,824 times
Too funny!

I lived in Va Beach from 1974 until this past August and while I am homesick, I have no intentions of moving back. I'm loving Alaska!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrapitb4utapit88 View Post

6- You don't go to the beach every day.
7- You don't want to go to the beach every day.
No.... say it isn't so....

Quote:
9- You believe that Meyera Oberndorf will be the mayor of Virginia Beach for all time.
Still hard to believe that finally came to an end.

Quote:
17- You've seen Rudy Boesch in the Farm Fresh.
18- You've seen Pat Robertson in the Farm Fresh.
19- You've seen The Neptunes in the Farm Fresh.
20- You've seen Timbaland in the Farm Fresh.
21- You've seen Missy Elliott in the Farm Fresh.
LOL sounds like Farm Fresh is the place to be!

Quote:
68- You know who the Norwegian Lady is.
Let me guess, someone you'd see in Farm Fresh?

Quote:
94- You're still wearing sandals in November.
Ahhh.... now that's the best reason for living there that I've heard yet!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 PM

178 posts, read 281,993 times
I would like to add more
You see a New York license plate every single day
The lights are so long
The people drive so slow
You see a motorcycle every single day
You know somebody that likes and only listens to country music
Traffic isn't just on the interstates!
There are townhomes on every corner!
You see old buildings getting torn down and getting replaced with condos or 7-11's
You eat chain pizza
You actually like Little Caesars Pizza
You rarely eat local pizza
You love seafood
You mostly eat at chain restaurants
You can never find good Chinese food

Last edited by Lindsey1151; 06-12-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symptomatic View Post
lol@ mike joyne's partners. i still remember "call joynes and beaver..."
"Beaver" (laughter)..

'If you're huuurt.. call Joynes & Bieber..'

And don't forget about my man Lowell 'the Hammer' Stanley. That dude is Hampton Roads royalty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area