Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

I have never used this site before... Hope that I am using it correctly.

I just started looking at the Hampton region to move. I drove thru that area a week ago to give a presentation to National Guard in Virginia Beach. I could not live in the VA Beach area; too touristy, too much congestion.

Driving back to Charlottesville...had I not had another person with me; I would have taken a detour to explore Hampton. From the highway, it was singing to my heart & soul. I know, my Irish ancestory draws me to the oceans/waterways. I have always lived on the East-coast; as a child 15 minutes to Long Island Sound. I have lived in Belgium, travelled throughout Europe; travelled in the USA; my mind cannot get "wrapped around" any landlocked area. The thought of it is suffocating to me. I appreciated reading the positives of the Hampton area. Would like to hear more of the positives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 11:09 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateOgburn View Post
I have never used this site before... Hope that I am using it correctly.

I just started looking at the Hampton region to move. I drove thru that area a week ago to give a presentation to National Guard in Virginia Beach. I could not live in the VA Beach area; too touristy, too much congestion.

Driving back to Charlottesville...had I not had another person with me; I would have taken a detour to explore Hampton. From the highway, it was singing to my heart & soul. I know, my Irish ancestory draws me to the oceans/waterways. I have always lived on the East-coast; as a child 15 minutes to Long Island Sound. I have lived in Belgium, travelled throughout Europe; travelled in the USA; my mind cannot get "wrapped around" any landlocked area. The thought of it is suffocating to me. I appreciated reading the positives of the Hampton area. Would like to hear more of the positives.
As someone who was raised in Hampton, i feel it gets a little unfair treatment. Yes, it has issues with crime (mainly South of Mercury Blvd) and schools but Hampton has a couple of positives. Housing is a little cheaper than most of Hampton Roads and it has a small town feel despite being a city of 145,000. The military is a massive asset to the city. Downtown Hampton is kind of a secret gem to most of Virginia. It has older yet unique housing stock. Also i'm anxious to see what the peninsula town center will do for my old neighborhood of Todd's Ln. It is also home to one of the best HBCUs in Hampton University.

In short Hampton is a unique town. It's not for everyone but dont tell me that it has nothing to offer anyone.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
After residing in Virginia Beach fior 16 years, I am grateful to be living 2000 miles away from the area!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:19 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I moved to the area in Mid July. I went to Target at Christmas, this was the first Target since we moved from Michigan. I told my husband take my picture. I can't seem to understand how to get from where we live to the Greenbriar Mall area. This is the kind of shopper I am . When I need something I want to be able to go to several places if I need to and see who has the best product at the best price. Here that is Walmart. I have nothing against Walmart but they don't have sales..sorry.

Walmarts normal prices are better then most other stores average sales. Unless the sale is insane, or they are having some kind of triple coupon day, or Walmart doesnt have the item, its pointless shopping any where else.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl View Post
Just found out that after 3 years, we have to leave here. Very sad. I love the bay beaches (just locals!), laid back attitudes (very small town, I always run into someone I know), local seafood restaurants, great schools, and a much better attitude than where I moved from (DC area). In DC the only topic of conversation was occupations and how much time you spent in traffic. Here, people talk about life!

Very small town? The Hampton Roads area is massive.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:31 PM

543 posts, read 999,616 times
I moved to the HR area in December 2008, and I love it.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Very small town? The Hampton Roads area is massive.
Not really. If you've ever been to places like Milwaukee and Chicago or even Boston, HR is not massive. OMG San Diego is huge compared to HR

Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 AM

159 posts, read 531,985 times
The Chesapeake Bay for sure, particularly Chick's Beach! Not to mention the fishing in HR is awesome, and I like the fact that there's a plethora of things to do outdoors. Oh and it hardly ever snows!

Traffic and the roads sucks though and so does the fact that we have a winter

Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Not really. If you've ever been to places like Milwaukee and Chicago or even Boston, HR is not massive. OMG San Diego is huge compared to HR

1. Virginia Beach is the 41st largest city in the country, and Hampton Roads is the 27th largest metro area in the county (just slightly smaller then the Milwaukee metro area). The Hampton Roads metro area is larger then much more famous, Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Orlando, Charlotte, Nashville, and Memphis metro areas.

2. The definition of "large city" is not "global metropolis" like Chicago or Boston.

The fact is, over half the states in the US do not have a metro area as large as Hampton Roads, or a city as big as Virginia Beach.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:53 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The fact is, over half the states in the US do not have a metro area as large as Hampton Roads, or a city as big as Virginia Beach.

Land wise. Remember that VB has alot of land not yet developed compared to cities that can no longer build and are highly populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area