Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,945 times

Advertisements

So I moved to VA BEACH with another female and we signed a one year lease here. Well, turns out the girl is KRRAZZZY!! To the point where I fear for my life. She asked our landlord if she could add a third party to our lease and our landlord said that would be fine. When I told the landlord that I thought that was a breach of our agreement because I had not okayed that since her and I are BOTH on the lease she decided not to answer me. Then after I told my roommate that I would not allow another third roommate to live with us because that was not part of the initial agreement she went nuts. She is constantly BLARING music, slamming doors and cabinets (basically anythang slamable) and throwing tamtrums. She came home yesterday and told me I poisoned her dog. She is seriously psychoatic to the point where I am terrified to live here with her anymore. So, I contacted my landlord and told her I wanted someone else on the lease and I'll find someone and she refuses to call me or email me back. I don't know what else to do.

According to the lease it says that stuff about a quiet environment and whatever.

Is there any way out of this lease? And.. most importantly what is the procedure for renting a residence in Va Beach? I am from Alexandria, and I know that there if the landlord does not have a renters license it is illegal to rent out a residence. Is there somethang like that here?

I know trying to get out of a lease via that method is pathetic but I don't know what else to do. My roommate is horrible and I have not recieved any help from my landlord or anyone else and do not know what else to do for my mental health.

please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Get the new roomate to take your place?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Go to the local library...you can get a free copy of the Va landlord/tenant act which will explain to you the rights both you and/or your landlord have.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:48 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Its rediculous that in an area as lame as this, people need roommates to get by.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 PM

50 posts, read 149,910 times
leave and suck it up that you'll never see the deposit back?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 PM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfragger1 View Post
leave and suck it up that you'll never see the deposit back?
It's not just the deposit you could lose. They can sue you for the remainder of the rent that you owe under your contract.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM

Randomdude - yep. I don't know how people make it in this town. The lower wage people I've known always had to have a roomate, lived paycheck to paycheck. They dream of leaving. One guy is working on a bis plan to buy out an existing business in Ohio. Hope he makes it.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:21 PM

43 posts, read 113,590 times
This is off topic but I can't help but ask. This is directed at Randomdude and Telemonster..

I'm pretty new to the forums but it seems like every time I see a post it has one or both of you in it bashing Hampton roads. Now here is my question. Why do you two live in Hampton Roads if you hate it so much. This is a serious question coming from someone who is moving to the area soon. I don't want to know why you hate it but why you stay. Are you too young to move? A sick family member in the area.. what is it if you don't mind me asking? What keeps you from moving? I'm 34 and I've moved numerous times including from areas I didn't like and I just can't picture myself living somewhere that I disliked as much as it appears you two dislike HR's.

Again, this is a serious question. I'm not trolling or anything I'm just curious as someone who is moving to the area soon.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:29 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcher View Post
This is off topic but I can't help but ask. This is directed at Randomdude and Telemonster..

I'm pretty new to the forums but it seems like every time I see a post it has one or both of you in it bashing Hampton roads. Now here is my question. Why do you two live in Hampton Roads if you hate it so much. This is a serious question coming from someone who is moving to the area soon. I don't want to know why you hate it but why you stay. Are you too young to move? A sick family member in the area.. what is it if you don't mind me asking? What keeps you from moving? I'm 34 and I've moved numerous times including from areas I didn't like and I just can't picture myself living somewhere that I disliked as much as it appears you two dislike HR's.

Again, this is a serious question. I'm not trolling or anything I'm just curious as someone who is moving to the area soon.

I dont move because I dont have the money to move (largely because decent paying work does not exist in the area for what I do). I will not move unless Ive got moving expenses and at least 6 months of expenses banked. Im getting close, but still not there.

I will not put myself in a position, by moving, that I am even worse off then I am here. Yeah, some people just pack up and go with nothing, or go and get in large amounts of debt. Im not like that. I have no debt, and I keep it that way by being frugal and playing it safe.

Hopefully, by next spring though, you will never have to see me complain about Hampton Roads again. Im hoping to be happily relocated to the midwest, where a person can buy a decent house on a Walmart job.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:39 PM

I work for a company that is good. I like it. Unfortunately we just had round 4 of downsizing, and the greater business climate does cast a bit of a shadow over my future here. I make really good money, but it's worthless when it comes to putting a foot down.

My friends are here, and that's the only thing that makes it hard to leave. But I have friends in other places.

So if the job goes, and nothing else good comes up in the area, then I most likely won't be here.

A few of my friends are working to do cool things here, but it's honestly not a great area for young people, or creative people, or good tech people. Not a good area for startups, unless you're after gov't money versus making new products and services for the public.

The other issue is being locked into apartment rental contracts. Slumlords are pretty evil.

I see groups that cheerlead the area for no other reason than their own business interest (Downtown Norfolk Council, etc).

I look at it as me telling the truth. No rose colored glasses.

I've lived in the region for 33 years. Norfolk, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach.

Last edited by telemonster; 04-23-2009 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area