Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 18,051 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to the area later this summer and would like to get an idea of what location would be best suited for us. We have a 10 year old and a 2 year old. My husband would be working near Newton Rd and 264. We will be renting to start with. I would love to be close to the beach with good schools, family atmosphere and minimal crime. We would like 3 bedrooms and a fenced yard. It doesn't have to be a new home. Can anyone suggest an area or a zip code that would fit best for us? I did find some nice rental homes in the 23456 area but that is a bit more inland than I had hope. Our price range would be $1500-2000k. Thanks for any suggestions or advice you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,337,983 times
I cannot help you with specific rentals in VB, but generally most of VB is close to the beach. If you get too close you will become involved in all the tourist traffic. Stick to a nice suburban neighborhood and you can go over to the beach at any time. We have lived here for 6 years and the only time we go is in the off season - usually a nice warm day in the spring.

Sandbridge is really the nicest beach to go with the kids - away from all the traffic.

I know it sounds great to live AT the beach, but it tends to be much more expensive. After the novelty wears off, you will not want to get anywhere near the oceanfront in the summer .

Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM

Stacy - thanks for the info. What zip is Sandbridge in? Do you think 23456 is far enough away from the touristy area?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:22 PM

It looks like Sandbridge is in 23456. Sandbridge is south of Va Beach (as the crow flies) but you have to go around to get there - not a straight shot down the coast due to the Naval station. It is a beach community of private homes, most of which are summer rentals. There is an area right in the middle with public parking, rest rooms and a little grocery store. It is more family oriented and less crowded than the boardwalk area of Va Beach.

We have a large map at work here of the area and 23456 is a really large area, but it is the most highly coveted zip code in Va Beach. If you love the beach, you will really enjoy this area. I live in Porstmouth - which is about 30-40 min to the oceanfront - but when the wind blows I can smell the ocean in the air. There is water everywhere here so you always feel close to it, no matter where you live.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 PM

Yes, that area is far enough away from the touristy area, yet you are close enough to drive over after work and walk on the beach if you want.

There are homes in Sandbridge that actually do winter rentals if you are looking for something while you figure out where you really want to live. Most of them start in Sept/Oct and then end by April or early May. We were going to do that when we first moved down, but decided it was just too far out from my family that already lived in the area.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,029,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina411 View Post
We may be relocating to the area later this summer and would like to get an idea of what location would be best suited for us. We have a 10 year old and a 2 year old. My husband would be working near Newton Rd and 264. We will be renting to start with. I would love to be close to the beach with good schools, family atmosphere and minimal crime. We would like 3 bedrooms and a fenced yard. It doesn't have to be a new home. Can anyone suggest an area or a zip code that would fit best for us? I did find some nice rental homes in the 23456 area but that is a bit more inland than I had hope. Our price range would be $1500-2000k. Thanks for any suggestions or advice you may have.
You can live really close to the ocean front and pay crazy high rent, or you can live 5-10 minutes from the beach and listen to the F18 military jets fly over your house all day/night long rattling your windows or you can live further inland and just drive to the beach when you want

Old 05-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Oh yeah - good point. The jets are noisy

Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,527,408 times
Working near Newtown Road and 264 would be a hike from 23456 which is something you make want to consider. Parts of 23452 - Kings Grant, Lynnhaven area have good schools as well as others I'm sure.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:23 PM

When I checked the distance on maps it showed that the distance to where he would work and the houses in 23456 were only 9 to 12 miles away. I am missing something? Yes, I have read about the jets. Is there a certain area that is worse than others? We live in Arizona now near Luke AFB so we understand about jet noise.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:47 PM

111 posts, read 364,828 times
Default King's Grant

To get really close to the water, you need to spend more. For good schools, Great Neck and King's Grant (Kingston area) are very good. Great Neck is closer to the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area