Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 AM

16 posts, read 56,316 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and would like to go to the beach this weekend and was wondering which beach the locals would recommend. I live in Hampton and would prefer not to go to Va Beach. I'm just looking to lay out in the sun for a little bit, so not looking for anything special. Just a place thats not too crowded and has decent parking. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,026,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnotefwb77 View Post
I'm new to the area and would like to go to the beach this weekend and was wondering which beach the locals would recommend. I live in Hampton and would prefer not to go to Va Beach. I'm just looking to lay out in the sun for a little bit, so not looking for anything special. Just a place thats not too crowded and has decent parking. Any ideas?
Cant really help you with the beaches on that side of the water but I am sure the locals on that side will post there favorite places. If you do come to Va Bch stay away from the main ocean front, its crazy in the summer time....but there are some great places like sandbridge beach and chicks beach.......Since you are new to the area the one place you will want to check out when you have the time are the beaches along the outerbanks of NC.....Not so much the beaches around Nags Head because they are just like Va Bch but farther south into Hatteras and Buxton, the difference between the beaches there compared to what they are in VA are night and day difference

Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,794,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnotefwb77 View Post
Have you tried Huntington in Newport News near the James River Bridge? It aint a beach per se but it is close.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,336,670 times
Huntington Beach would fit your needs since it is close. However, being new to the area, you should really try Sandbridge at least once soon. It is a family beach (not touristy like Va Beach) has decent parking and you get the real beach feel. There is a general store there to pick up lunch or snacks as well as bathrooms.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM

254 posts, read 1,208,557 times
I heard something on the news recently about Huntington Beach being closed - maybe it's just closed for swimming. If you live near Langley, I would recommend Buckroe Beach in Phoebus. The area close to the parking gets crowded, but you can walk just a few minutes and easily find a large empty place to lay out on the sand.

Yorktown beach is also a nice option on the Peninsula, but it's a little further drive from Hampton - From Langley take Hampton HWY down to HWY 17 and then follow 17 down to the last exit before the Coleman bridge.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 PM

371 posts, read 1,192,560 times
I would second Buckroe beach for you. Or if you feel like going onto Ft. Monroe there is a nice beach/pool that is open to the public. I cant recall the price, maybe around $4 or $5 but its a great pool with an ocean view. You can go down on the beach to swim and use the lounge chairs/cabana covers included in your entrance fee to the pool. There are showers to wash the sand off as you come back up to the pool. You can take your own food and drinks/coolers in with you. It is a great place to go as the beach area is not very crowded at all. You can watch the sailboats go past.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:26 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,711,211 times
sandbeach is one of the nicest beach in the hampton roads.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 AM

159 posts, read 532,424 times
chic's beach is one of my favorites but lately it seems like its everyone else's favorite too. It's gotten more crowded and theres a lot more trash on the beach than there used to be last summer. Parkings tight so i'd get there early. Sandbridge is nice too when there arent that many tourist being obnoxious. I think its a dollar to park for beach residents. Your best bet is to skip HR all together and do your beaching in the outer banks. free parking, no crowds depending where you go, waves, and it's a lot cleaner than the beaching up here.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 AM

210 posts, read 1,140,463 times
we recently rode over to Fort Monroe but turned around because there was a guard and was not sure how or if we could get in.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 AM

371 posts, read 1,192,560 times
You can still get onto Ft. Monroe. They put the guards there after 9-11. You just pull up to the guard gate and tell them you are there for whatever you are there for (The museum, the pool/beach, bowling alley, as a tourist, etc) and he will direct you up to the next guard who will ask for your ID, and I think your registration. Everyone in the vehicle that is 18 or over has to have an ID. (even for us military folks). He will then issue you a day pass to be on the Army post. If you get hungry there is a snack bar/cafe in the bowling alley that serves a huge variety of food. You dont have to have a military ID to use the snackbar/cafe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area