Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:45 PM

40 posts, read 132,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm18 View Post
I'm in the Portsmouth area now, have lived here since I was 5 and here's what I think: the area is really pretty and everything, but you can't find a decent pastry or pizza place, if you want the latest CD or book or whatever you have to do a lot of looking before you find it in a store, lots of rednecks, "under the table" racism, and from what I've experienced everyone here is very unfriendly and stand-offish. If I run into somebody who's decent I'm actually surprised. Lots of teens who want to be "ghetto", and if you love muffler trucks and boom cars you will LOVE Portsmouth and Hampton roads.
I think this is situationally wrong/correct. I've been in Portsmouth for a couple years now as a young professional - and my wife as well.

Portsmouth is all about what community you live in. I drive through places like Simonsdale and Port Norfolk a lot - they are for some people, but not for me - and I think they have a lot of what you write above.

I personally live in waterview and the houses are gorgeous, the people are friendly and we have a lot of professionals here. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 07:12 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
I moved to Portsmouth (Churchland) 4 years ago from Fairfax County. What a difference!!! Honestly, PTown gets a bad rap and as others have said and I feel safe here. I get tired of hearing how VA Beach is so awesome and Chesapeake is so great - they ALL have their bad areas!! Churchland is smack dab in the middle of Hampton Roads - convenient to bridges, highways and tunnels. Old Towne Portsmouth is a cool area to walk around.

There is small town feel here and life is just a slower pace, which is great. Shopping is close - 3 grocery stores within 5 minutes and Chesapeake Square mall within 10 min. Plenty of places to eat and 2 Super Walmart's. We are even getting Kohls on College Drive and 664. Plus I imagine that area will eventually have a ton of shops.

My son currently goes to Churchland High School and he LOVES it!!! BTW, traffic around Portsmouth is not bad, except maybe downtown during rush hour.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I moved to Portsmouth (Churchland) 4 years ago from Fairfax County. What a difference!!! Honestly, PTown gets a bad rap and as others have said and I feel safe here. I get tired of hearing how VA Beach is so awesome and Chesapeake is so great - they ALL have their bad areas!! Churchland is smack dab in the middle of Hampton Roads - convenient to bridges, highways and tunnels. Old Towne Portsmouth is a cool area to walk around.

There is small town feel here and life is just a slower pace, which is great. Shopping is close - 3 grocery stores within 5 minutes and Chesapeake Square mall within 10 min. Plenty of places to eat and 2 Super Walmart's. We are even getting Kohls on College Drive and 664. Plus I imagine that area will eventually have a ton of shops.

My son currently goes to Churchland High School and he LOVES it!!! BTW, traffic around Portsmouth is not bad, except maybe downtown during rush hour.

Thank you Stacylee! For once someone has it right. I have been living in this area since graduating college in 1979. I have taught in Portsmouth and in Chesapeake over my years and I can tell you that many of the schools in Portsmouth are on par with Chesapeake. My daughter goes to Churchland High School and is doing great. They have outstanding teachers for the most part. Top notch. They graduate seniors who go to UVA, William and Mary, VA tech as well as Ivy League and outstanding private schools. I work in the downtown area and it is a joy. Nice places to eat, lots of redevelopment going on. The housing projects of years past are being replaced with new neighborhoods, new businesses coming to town. We are on the cusp of a new age here in PTown. Chin up fellow Ptowners, no need to feel inferior. I am proud to have lived here for so long.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:40 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina03 View Post
I am moving to Va this spring if I can get a teaching job. So far I am looking into Suffolk and Portsmouth. Are these safe areas with low crime? I am coming from a tiny town in Ohio and I am very apprehensive about relocating because I have lived in such a safe area my entire life. Someone, please let me know about the safest places in the Suffolk and Portsmouth area. Thank you so very much.
Well you didnt say what type of teaching job and if that plays into what city you end up living in......Portsmouth is not as bad as some have made it out to be but that said it is no where as nice as others have made it out to be....Yes there are nice neighborhoods in Portsmouth but the crime rate is still very high, crime stats are very easy to obtain from whatever city you are looking to relocate to, its just a simple call to the city.....I think once you look at those stats Suffolk will be the town for you, plus suffolk will have more of that small town feel that you are used to....

Old 10-03-2007, 02:50 PM

49 posts, read 226,803 times
Portsmouth is a nice city. A city with sort of a small town feel. Try it out. You are not confined to just Ptown city limits. You may want to live in Portsmouth, but you can play and work in any of the 7 cities. (or vice versa)

Dont be paranoid about the crime like some of the very SHELTERED people on this forum who thinks that a man with a gun is waiting for them outside their front doors. Crime is anywhere and everywhere. You just have to no what parts of town to stay out of and also how to carry yourself when you are in those parts of town. (which im sure you are capable of, being a grown a** adult and all).

Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,035 times
Cool Moving to Norfolk, VA

I can use some advise here, my husband is currently deployed to Iraq and we have two small children (5 and 6) and I need to relocate to the Norfolk (or surrounding area. Looking for a safe neighborhood with a good elementary school. I don't want to be driving to long to work in the morning and evenings. PLEASE help!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:08 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogoembo View Post
I can use some advise here, my husband is currently deployed to Iraq and we have two small children (5 and 6) and I need to relocate to the Norfolk (or surrounding area. Looking for a safe neighborhood with a good elementary school. I don't want to be driving to long to work in the morning and evenings. PLEASE help!

Again it would really help to know if you plan on renting or buying and what dollar amount you are able to spend. There are plenty of places in the Hamptom Roads area that should fit your needs but just tossing out schools or neighborhoods without knowing a price range is kind of difficult.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 12,587 times
I'd move to Chesapeake. Portsmouth is kind of run down except for the historic district. Chesapeake is your best bet. I used to live in the area for 7 years.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogoembo View Post
jogoembo, it would help if we knew if you wanted to rent versus buy; what your price range is for either; and where you work? We can't tell you good areas with an easy commute without knowing where you are commuting to and from.

Shelly

Old 12-08-2007, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,297 times
Churchland is a part of Portsmouth not Chesapeake (BWSun) it doesn't matter how far it is away from the main section of Portsmouth. It uses all of Portsmouths resources not Chesapeake's. You have too know where to shop there are neighborhoods such as Collinswood, Crystal Lakes, and Newport that are very nice neighborhoods to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area