Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM

80 posts, read 381,053 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen any threads in the search engine with a focus mainly on coffee, so I decided to start one. I worked as a barista for about a year so I kinda grew to love coffee even more.

Cafes that I've visited and have taken a liking to:
-Fairground's in the Ghent area of Norfolk has set the standard that all local coffee shops should follow. I find it to be very affordable, friendly, and it attracts a very diverse crowd. Surprisingly, it shows no signs of slowing down ever since a Starbucks moved across the street a few years back. This is the first place I think about when I want to go get coffee in the area. Support this place.

-The Daily Grind seems to be a Virginia chain. First time I ever tried it was at the Central Library in Virginia Beach. I'd say it ranks up there.

-Beach Co. Coffee on Atlantic Ave. between 10th and 11th isn't all that bad. I recently discovered it, but they do use Seattle's Best products, which I'm not really keen upon. I haven't had a bad experience yet though.

-Perked Up Cafe located in that small strip behind the Jewish Mother and Heritage down at the Oceanfront isn't all that bad for beach coffee. Unfortunately, I haven't been there in almost a year so I don't know if any changes have been made to what's on the menu and how it looks inside.

Mainstream joints:
-Believe it or not, WAWA actually has good coffee for basically being a glorified and polished gas station. Their caramel coffee blend was awesome.

-Bad Ass Coffee is located somewhere off 18th st near the precinct. It's a small nationwide chain with more of an appeal to "beach" communities, but don't let that turn you off. There's a lot of cool things about it, just check it out if you get the chance.

-It took me a while, but I definitely believe that America runs on Dunkin' Donuts. The coffee isn't that bad!

Places I haven't been yet, but I would like to try:
-Habana Cafe on Shore Dr. near E. Little Creek. I heard it specializes in Cuban cuisine and coffee. I don't know when the best time to visit is because I've seen different phone numbers and time schedules online to double check. If you've been here, let me know how it is.

-There is some coffee shop in the Riverview section of Norfolk right across where the Riverview theatre used to be. It seems to keep an 8am-6pm schedule, so I pretty much never have the time to get out there.

Defunct cafes:
-I used to work at Relative Theory Records in downtown Norfolk, and I was very bummed to see my former place of employment bite the dust. I was was bewildered that more people didn't make more of an effort to try our coffee. I thought it was great. We used a lot of Larry's Beans products. I'd have to say that if you didn't get to visit this place in the the three years that it was open, you definitely missed out.

-Java Junkies, both locations have been gone for years. It was my favorite place to get coffee in Virginia Beach from 1997-2001.

-The First Colony Coffeehouse, though I only went there once, has been gone since 2001 as well. It was located in Hilltop and I thought it was one of the coolest things about that area.

Let's talk about your local coffee experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 PM

14 posts, read 49,957 times
Aromas CoffeeHouse & Bakeshop

That place is just across the street from where I work. Located at the City Center in Newport News. It's not bad at all and I'd recommend checking it out if you make it up that way. I am going to write your list down as well and make sure that I try and get them all.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,164 times
Default Harbour Coffee in New Town WBG

Opened a short time ago and it is simply amazing coffee......and a cool roastery on site so you can watch things...

Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,522,210 times
I enjoy going into the Daily Grind in Town Center from time to time. The atmosphere is really cool, coffee is pretty good and the free high speed connection is pretty cool too.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:14 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,461,066 times
Those places aren't open when I go to work in the morning, so I stop at BP Marketplace on Baxter/Princess Anne Rd. Great coffee!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 AM

473 posts, read 1,518,531 times
Perked Up changed management about a year ago. I heard Sandy Barlow is the owner, and doing a great job!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 AM

24 posts, read 60,508 times
This should be interesting to see.

'Authentic' colonial coffeehouse planned for Va. | TOP STORIES | WVEC.com | News for Hampton Roads, Virginia (http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_071708_colonial_coffeehouse.6391ba53.ht ml - broken link)

Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 PM

275 posts, read 870,785 times
Honestly, I get my coffee from 7-11. Does the trick just fine IMO!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:03 AM

328 posts, read 1,540,844 times
My Kitchen

Old 07-21-2008, 10:44 AM

209 posts, read 771,847 times
Could you'll suggest a place to go near Chesapeake? I'm close to the Greenbrier mall, and I have no ideal where to go. Back home, I'd just hit a Starbucks. This place has more culture about it, so I'd like to go somewhere that isn't owned by MegaCorp(TM) and Fratalians. (Is it' French? Or is it Italian? WHO KNOWS! That's the surprise. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area