Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I suppose it depends on what you find good or not good, cheap or not cheap. I haven't found an Uncle Al's that I liked. So I guess it is either a love or hate or even the age of the people that have different views.
I agree.......someone told be that a place called the diner on Princess Anne Rd up by Larkspur middle school is pretty good...Used to be a Burger King and then a Mexican restaurant....I guess I will try it out one day.......

Also true about the different Famous Uncle Al's, they are all individually owned so each one is a little different except for the brand of hot dogs....
I have tried a few different locations but nothing ever came close to matching the quality of food of the one I spoke of earlier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 04:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
DDD should have went to Smittys Drive inn in Hampton instead of Doumars. I agree with the above statements about Doumars. It's thriving on it's history. Very small portions seem overpriced. And I thought the bbq was bland also. We discovered Smittys about 10 years ago and the prices are fantastic for the large portions you get. We are in lower Yorktown and will drive over to Hampton for lunch or dinner just because of that drive inn. It's like Doumars in that you drive up and a carhop comes out to take your order.

A favorite VB restaurant, although it's not 'cheap' is 58 Deli on Va beach blvd. It is a NY style deli and they get their meats from NY. They make HUGE piled high hot or cold deli sandwhichs along with a ton of other stuff on their menu. The hot pastrami just falls apart in your mouth and the corned beef is to die for. Like I said, it's not 'cheap', but you'll come away thinking it sure was worth it!!!

I love Smitty's yummy!!! To bad king street is so far from Va Beach. I grew up in Fox Hill, so we would go there a lot. 58 street deli is OK. DH likes it.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:59 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
I have heard good things about Reginella's Italian Ristorante on VB Blvd in Loehman's Plaza. They serve large servings at very decent prices - at least last time I went.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I have heard good things about Reginella's Italian Ristorante on VB Blvd in Loehman's Plaza. They serve large servings at very decent prices - at least last time I went.
We had lunch out at Primo's Pizza at Red Mill....their new one at the shopping center where the new Harris Teeter is, will open around thanksgiving. That's why they closed Baxter at Marketplace. Hair Cuttery moved to that new shopping center as well.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM

57 posts, read 222,320 times
Thanks for the good news, Erma!

It looks like there is some other Italian type place moving into the old Baxter location. I forget the name.

Another one I forgot to add to my short list: Azar's (off Bonney Rd.). Good quality, affordable Middle Eastern food.

Last edited by thorntonm; 11-14-2009 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 02-17-2012, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,703 times
Default Excellent "cheap" food

The Ten Top in Norfolk is amazing

Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM

135 posts, read 390,595 times
Cafe Elias on the corner of Aragona and VB Blvd has the best gyros anywhere. And a few doors down from them is Sheltons Big Grill that does excellent hamburgers. I also loove the ribs from Ricks Cafe on VB Blvd.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
Primo's is not closed, they moved to a Larger Resturant area....Its still there, they are still great and the Prices arent too bad. It is now located at :

4540 Princess Anne Rd

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Old 06-16-2015, 08:06 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-H...91800547530261

The only place I've found good food in Virginia Beach was at The Highlander. It's not dirt cheap but with a groupon it's very affordable. Best fish and chips outside of England, I think. Husband was thrilled to get Guinness and fantastic food. The owners are really friendly and come right to your table to talk to you if you want.

It was hard to find and ended up being hidden in a strip mall. Decor is nothing to write home about either but the food and service are unbeatable. Food is all made from scratch on the spot, not a chain, not junk food.

676-B Witchduck Rd.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 AM

553 posts, read 616,447 times
I know that the original post was a long time ago, but in hindsight, it's amusing to see this come up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorntonm View Post
I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on Food Network the other day and thinking that if this show came to Virginia Beach, they would probably have a really hard time finding places for the show.
They seemed to have an easy enough time finding places. They went to six in Virginia Beach, along with two in Norfolk, two in Portsmouth, and one in Carrollton.

DDD Virginia locations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area