Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times

Advertisements

Bring ear plugs for the whole family!

My one trip to VB, we got a great deal on the hotel and planned to enjoy the quiet of the beach the day after Labor Day through the end of the week. So we arrived Tuesday afternoon, walked around and found a nice place near the beach for an early dinner. Then we wandered down the boardwalk and enjoyed.

We woke up the next morning to the most horrendous sounds! First it was the bulldozers "plowing up the beach" - yes, that's right, making huge mounds (for storm sake) and blocking the beach. There was no chance to enjoy the beach that day. Combine that with the sounds of jets breaking the sound barrier. ALL DAY LONG. I had such a headache by day's end. We tried to find a quiet place for lunch - not a chance of that happening - the jets just keep on going.

It all ends somewhere around dinner time, but by then, you have a horrible headache, ringing in the ears, and a sore throat from shouting to your partner, family all day. Conversation is impossible.

I just don't see us ever returning no matter how special a deal there is on a hotel.

By Wednesday night, we'd had it. Packed up and checked out early. What a waste of 8 hours' driving time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM

275 posts, read 870,529 times
Funny. I've been to the beach plenty of times, and I've never had my conversation drowned out from jet noise, or headaches and sore throat from having to yell. Exaggerate much?

The beach is near an Air Force base. There's jets at an Air Force base. You do the math. It sounds like you went out of your way to be miserable, instead of actually making an effort to see if there's anything beyond the Oceanfront. Sorry you didn't have such a good time, but mainly because that you didn't even try to make the most of it and took the lazy way out. I'm sure the city will miss your lost money.

Last edited by tvpirate05; 06-25-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Oceana Naval Air base is right there. I lived there for 18 years and never had an issue carrying on a conversation. How silly!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,424 times
How ridiculous is the above post about the jet noise! First off, the jets do not break the sound barrier. Yes, if you are in their flight path you can hear them, but they go past quickly and you resume what you were doing. You never need to shout constantly to carry on conversations. We were just down at the oceanfront this past week with out of town relatives and no one was bothered by the jet noise even when they were flying almost directly over head. We dined at the oceanfront twice in the past week. Neither time was our conversation even halted by the sound of jets. We ate lunch at Watermans restaurant which is oceanside, we were seated right by the windows looking out onto the beach. Bulldozers and other machinery were operating (setting up bleechers, lights and other stuff for some kind of event), we never even heard the machinery and we were less than 20 feet away from them. What I don't understand is why would you come to the BUSTLING, VIRGINIA BEACH BOARDWALK at the BEGINING of the summer season and expect to have a peacefull, quiet time on the beach??? It isn't the Outter banks! It's a busy tourist beach area. Did the poster do any research on where they were going???

Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Labor day is the end of the summer, but I agree the story does seem exaggerated. I lived right by the oceana directly under the landing path, and yes the noise was very loud at times. I moved to a quiter neighborhood with no jet noise, but I've never experianced anything like NY Annie reports.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:32 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Then perhaps none of you wear hearing aids. The jet noise made conversation impossible. Add to that the constant, 7 am to 3 pm drone of the bulldozers on the beach and, the DAY AFTER labor day - that's still summer - it was ridiculous. I went to Virginia Beach to be ON THE BEACH, to USE THE BEACH, not to see the rest of the land side of town. I went for a romantic vacation. Jet noise is jet noise. You can pooh pooh all you like, but there was nothing to make the best of. It sucked. We travel 5 or more times per year, every year and can usually make lemonade. There was no reason to plow up the beach the Tuesday after labor day - which, to one of the above posters is NOT THE BEGINNING of the summer - it's in September. Summer ends Sept 21, btw, so there's no reason to close the beach down so early.

At any rate, there's nothing there to draw me back again. Not when I go to Myrtle Beach, Miami, or anywhere along the beautiful Jersey shore. Keep your jets and your bulldozers

Old 06-27-2010, 04:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Then perhaps none of you wear hearing aids. The jet noise made conversation impossible. Add to that the constant, 7 am to 3 pm drone of the bulldozers on the beach and, the DAY AFTER labor day - that's still summer - it was ridiculous. I went to Virginia Beach to be ON THE BEACH, to USE THE BEACH, not to see the rest of the land side of town. I went for a romantic vacation. Jet noise is jet noise. You can pooh pooh all you like, but there was nothing to make the best of. It sucked. We travel 5 or more times per year, every year and can usually make lemonade. There was no reason to plow up the beach the Tuesday after labor day - which, to one of the above posters is NOT THE BEGINNING of the summer - it's in September. Summer ends Sept 21, btw, so there's no reason to close the beach down so early.

At any rate, there's nothing there to draw me back again. Not when I go to Myrtle Beach, Miami, or anywhere along the beautiful Jersey shore. Keep your jets and your bulldozers

Well there must have been a reason to bulldoze the street the day after Labor Day! Time senstitive contract on a construction project maybe? Who knows! Streets don't get bulldozed for no reason. Virginia Beach is a nice family vacation spot!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:

The beach is open year round. I thought you said there was a storm coming. Are we to neglect our money maker so you can have a nice romantic vacation? Um no I think not. You were just here at a bad time. I can say I've been to the beach hundreds of times and I've NEVER seen bulldozers. Not to mention the beach is long, so if there were bulldozers at I would just move down a few blocks, or go to a locals beach.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:45 PM

275 posts, read 870,529 times
Quote:
I don't think we're the one's "pooh-poohing". You sound like a big baby who can't have their rattle. And I'm still calling BS on the jet noise drowning out conversations.

Quote:
Oh no, what are we to do?! NY Annie doesn't want to come back to our town!!! Trust me, if you're that closed-minded, we don't need you to visit. There's plenty of other people who can actually make use of their time and not let a minor inconvenience rain on their parade (aka be creative and not lazy). Please be sure not to let the door hit you on the butt when you leave. And when you go to the "beautiful Jersey shore", be sure to say hi to Snooki for me.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,864,142 times
Quote:
VB is a military area so maybe you should have researched a bit more before taking a vacation there. There are other local beaches you guys could have checked out in VB besides the Oceanfront.

Sorry you had such a horrible time but I would give anything to have a few bulldozers on the beaches where I live now, as opposed to tar balls and people in HAZMAT suits. While I appreciate their efforts in the cleanup, still something you never want to see on your beaches. Just trying to put it into perspective for a moment.

BTW... Been to the Jersey Shore and was not impressed at all... Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area