Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 48,018 times

Advertisements

I was curious what life in Camp Hill was like. I have lived my entire life in suburban Philadelphia and I was wondering what life in Camp Hill was like. I talked with someone who lived in the area and told me it was a very affluent area, similar to many main line towns. I however, found this hard to believe. Can anyone who is familiar with the area give me a comparison of Camp Hill to any suburban Philadelphian town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
I'm not familiar enough with Philly-area towns to offer a comparison, but Camp Hill doesn't quite feel like the Main Line to me. The Borough has pockets of affluence but most of its housing stock is not quite the two-Porsches-in-the-garage, more like two Buicks. A couple of neighborhoods just outside might be close to the two-Porsche standard but not whole towns.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,760 times
I have lived in Camp Hill for a couple years near the borough building - I've worked in several Main Line areas around Philly in the past. Camp Hill is nothing like those areas, in terms of amenities or affluence. It's a decent place to raise kids near HBG.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM

26 posts, read 84,273 times
Public school system is strong and the borough is "quaint". Cost of living in central PA is favorable. I would not call our area "main line" however we are close to several large cities - Baltimore, Philly, DC, NYC and Pittsburgh. Nice area to raise a family.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 PM

19 posts, read 42,124 times
Default Camp Hill

I have lived in 3 areas of Camp Hill. Although I visit Philly, the area I visit is the city rather than suburbs. There was a time when I would have said Camp Hill was affluent, but I would not say that anymore. There are some nice houses, but Camp Hill is coming down. All sorts of people are moving in. What I see happening is that people who would not normally be able to buy an expensive house in Camp Hill have big eyes, and tell themselves that with two paychecks they can swing it. Then one of them loses a job or they do not know how to budget their money, and their home falls into foreclosure. That can bring the price of an expensive home way down. Then undesirables buy the house, and that continues like wildfire. Before you know it, there goes the neighborhood. Thus, Camp Hill is not elite anymore. The Camp Hill Borough area seems to have a lot of centipedes. It is really terrible. I lived in the area near the Holy Spirit Hospital in an apt complex and they had mice. They could not get rid of them, and that was terrible. I would talk to people who live in the area where you are considering. We are really disappointed with the centipede issue here. If we had known, we would have never moved here.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD17011 View Post
Thus, Camp Hill is not elite anymore.
Camp Hill has never been "elite".

Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM

61 posts, read 116,221 times
What does the poster mean by "elite" ??
Camp Hill was never "elite".
I previously lived off Market St. near Oak St. in Camp Hill and found and still find it a very nice, safe and beautiful place in which to live.

The are nice neighbourhoods but nothing that would be considered elite class.

The closest neighbourhood that would even approach that term would be near the country club.

The amentities and retail offerings on the Carlisle Pike are second to none.

Overall Camp Hill is a viable, safe and vibrant community.

Julia

Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM

33 posts, read 63,571 times
Quote:
Overall Camp Hill is a viable, safe and vibrant community.
Agreed! There are pockets of affluence but the homes are in the $150-$300k range for most of Camp Hill I think. I was looking at real estate recently and its all over the board. The people are really nice too.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM

19 posts, read 42,124 times
Default Camp Hill

It does have a Country Club. In a comparison to places like the hub areas of Lemoyne, West Fairview, Enola, and center city Harrisburg, it is elite. Elite takes on different meanings for different people. There are homes worth over a half million dollars there. To me....that's elite. I did not mean that Donald Trump would be happy here.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD17011 View Post
It does have a Country Club. There are homes worth over a half million dollars there. To me....that's elite.
All of those locales you mentioned have homes worth well over $500k.

If you envision Camp Hill as the pinnacle of living, then knock yourself out. I'm sure you'll be quite happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area