Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 AM

69 posts, read 172,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Carlisle is pretty safe except for a few row house blocks on the north side within the Borough limits where there is a criminal element that feeds on itself. All other areas are much less crime than average for USA.

Carlisle Area School District (SD) tests out better than average for PA. Cumberland Valley SD just east points out in top tier. The best shopping area in the Harrisburg metro is in Silver Spring Twp and Hampden Twp along US 11/Carlisle Pike with a Mechanicsburg address in Cumberland Valley SD.

If you work in Carlisle without a competing commute direction there is no need to move further toward Harrisburg than Hampden Twp. In fact a number of families working even in the Hershey area relocate to Cumberland Valley for shopping proximity. Even if you fancy row homes there are plenty of those in Carlisle itself with a few funky shops/restaurants to walk to. I'd stay south of High St if looking in the central row house area. East of or further out on Hanover St you could actually like within walking distance of food markets in the denser row home area.

The ugly fading commercial/truckstop strip along the indirect connection between I-81 and I-76/PA Turnpike in Middlesex Twp creates a bad impression for travelers through the area. Locals know how to and generally do avoid passing through this "Miracle Mile" - the major shopping areas are at other I-81 exits. Take a side road 0.1 mile away from this strip and you enter a different century. The surrounding Cumberland Valley countryside is as pretty as any in the USA IMHO, especially the tiny village of Boiling Springs 5 miles out (South Middleton SD).

Many of the traffic knots from the large Carlisle "Fairgrounds" events Carlisle Collector Car Swap Meets & Enthusiast Events can be avoided by locals with knowledge of their schedule. As is common for many other areas of PA, the legacy of past substandard design of major highways coupled with suburban and logistic growth does make rush hour traffic knots. If you travel your intended commuting route during intended commuting hours before committing to a residence location, you will get more of a sense of what happens in daily traffic. It is another reason not to live further out than you have to.
Thanks for all the great info, by the way. I've seen some gorgeous row houses that have been remodeled. Is there a row house area that you would consider to be in a "good" or "safe" area? I love those old houses, and I'd love to be able to walk to shops and restaurants if there are good areas like that. I really appreciate your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
If you love the old row houses (as I do), then my opinion is you should live in the city and just make it work. Also, if you love that kind of architecture, you should definitely visit Harrisburg, which has a wealth of beautifully preserved and restored Victorian era neighborhoods near downtown! You should talk to people who actually live in the neighborhoods you're attracted to. If there are beautifully maintained homes there, then there are certainly responsible citizens taking care of them and living there. I would not rely too much on the opinions of city data to make your decision - many on here are afraid of their own shadow.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
If you love the old row houses (as I do), then my opinion is you should live in the city and just make it work. Also, if you love that kind of architecture, you should definitely visit Harrisburg, which has a wealth of beautifully preserved and restored Victorian era neighborhoods near downtown! You should talk to people who actually live in the neighborhoods you're attracted to. If there are beautifully maintained homes there, then there are certainly responsible citizens taking care of them and living there. I would not rely too much on the opinions of city data to make your decision - many on here are afraid of their own shadow.
Good points, PreservationPioneer. One person who steered me away from the area I mentioned actually lives in Carlisle, although he probably doesn't have the same appreciation for historic homes that I (and you) do.

Thank you for the input - it's much appreciated.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
I'd take the restored row homes south of High St. compared to the crappy ones north of High St.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:13 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamurphy View Post
No, the address is S. West Street, but it's the same vicinity. I just heard from another person that it can be "iffy" in that area. Too bad, 'cause it's beautiful. Lots of old row houses, many restored and just gorgeous. Thanks for the reply!
Ohhhh West South, South West, South East, East South.... what a silly little grid.

Pretty much every thing south of High Street is fine. The only iffy spots in the borough, save for some apartment complexes on the fringes, are between North Street and C Street, and there are perfectly nice blocks within that stretch of town as well.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Ohhhh West South, South West, South East, East South.... what a silly little grid.

Pretty much every thing south of High Street is fine. The only iffy spots in the borough, save for some apartment complexes on the fringes, are between North Street and C Street, and there are perfectly nice blocks within that stretch of town as well.
Thanks for that, JimboPGH! And yes, it is a silly little grid! I see so many really nicely maintained places in that area. It was hard to believe that it could be as bad as some indicate! Thanks for the comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area