Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:49 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times

Advertisements

I've killed millions of fleas with something that is free and all natural.......................my bad breath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Thank you!!

We finally found some diatomaceous earth at Lowe's. Heard it's great to use as the carpet powder too. We didn't know exactly how to get it down into the bottom of the carpet fibers, but using the broom is an excellent idea.

If I had the money, we'd rip out the carpet and put in laminate floors. Bamboo or cork if we had even more cash. Carpet seemed like a good idea, but it's really a pain here.
Make sure that you have food grade diatomaceous earth if you have pets that will be in the area.

busta

Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
I've sprinkled kennel dust all over the carpet and under the bed to get rid of fleas and ticks before. You can also use the Sevin dust that is used for rose beetles if you already have that. Then we use flea and tick treatments on the dogs and cat to keep them flea and tick free. It does sort of seem to be a seasonal thing, so hopefully after you get rid of them they will stay gone for awhile.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Make sure that you have food grade diatomaceous earth if you have pets that will be in the area.

busta
Wow, we didn't know there is such a thing as food grade diatomaceous earth. Very good to know, thank you!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
We must have pest control procedures to prevent the spread of insects from one place to another.... Down side, it may kill you.
Then again, that would solve the problem too!

Old 06-24-2010, 01:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
The thing we were told is killing the adults leaves the eggs and larve to become adult that lay eggs and on and on it goes. By breaking the cycle of egg, larve and adults, you eliminate the entire cycle and only have to deal with Fred and Wilma stray flea looking for a home. One of the items in the formular we use repells adults from establishing. Good thing it's a fast acting thing so within a week, your flea free with no eggs, larve or adults waiting to start the party all over again.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM

I've heard this too. The diamtomaceous earth or Borax is supposed to kill the larvae, but it won't kill adult fleas or their eggs. I had hoped the foggers would kill the adults, but apparently not always true.

Also heard that flea eggs can stay dormant and alive a long time. Then a vibration stimulates them to hatch. The theory is that flea eggs would wait around until activity in the area signals a host.

We are hoping that the garage door opening & closing is enough vibration to stimulate egg hatching, and the DEarth will then kill the larvae. The adults can live a long time without a host...maybe 14 days! Insane.

We're going to use up all the foggers we already bought, and if there are still fleas in the garage we will upgrade to super toxins. I'll write down what you guys are using, and check labels.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:34 PM

28 posts, read 99,069 times
Have you sprayed your yard as well?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Very good point. No, not yet. We've dusted the outside walkways with the DEarth, and washed off all the mats. We bought some animal/person-friendly garden spray to use, that's on the list for this weekend. But that one is just the oils, no heavy duty chemicals.

I sort of figure the critters are all going to be around. If I can keep them tamed and mostly dead inside and in the garage, I'm OK with that. True, we'll track them inside all the time, so we've taken to putting on some natural repellent from knees down if there is a lot of yard work to do.

All great suggestions, keep them coming and thank you!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
raid flea spray I found to work good you may need to use a few cans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii