Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM

8 posts, read 81,164 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a insurance company that would do a month long policy for a rental car? I'm not thrilled about the $40 a day that the rental company would charge us for their insurance policy but through a series of logistical issues my policy will get dropped before I would be able to buy a new car. Apparently that don't allow you to retain your policy if you don't actually own a car, and i cant imagine that i would be able to move from Connecticut to Hawaii and find a car within a day or two.

Any suggestions or names of companies would be greatly appreciated.
Derek

I know this isn't necessarily a Hawaii question but i couldn't find the "No way am i driving in the US without some form of auto insurance, but i don't feel like ponying up $1200 to a greedy rental car company" forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
$40 a day for rental car insurance? That doesn't sound right at all.
I thought rental insurance was around $15 a day?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Don't many credit cards provide rental car insurance for up to 30 days for free? They are normally secondary to your auto insurance but in this instance they would be #1. I would check with your CC provider.

I would also think that you could re-contract after 30 days if needed to retain coverage.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM

8 posts, read 81,164 times
Alright found an answer. Perhaps this will be of some help to others.

Unfortunately the insurance through any of the major car rental companies was extortionate ($30-$45 per day) which quickly got out of our price range. Credit card companies insurance ended up only being about $25,000 per accident which in this litigious society of ours would barely cover a "whiplash" claim, so that was also out.

Geico however has a non-owners policy which ended up being about $450 for 6 months to insure two people. Granted that my wife and I are about the most insurable people ever so I'm sure that most drivers rates will be a bit higher, but a tremendous deal by any standard. Also if you're looking for a good rate on a long term rental the best deal by far that i found was through A1 Auto Rentals near the Honolulu airport. We'll see on Tuesday what kind of a company they are, but their rates at least were very good.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: