Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 AM

10 posts, read 20,506 times

Advertisements

Aloha !

We are a young family of 5, Mom and Dad are 38, kids are 4, 6 and 8 years old.
For many various reasons we are considering moving to Hawaii, either Kauai, Maui or the Big Island for a year and seeing if it is a good fit for us as a new home.
Currently we are focused on Maui.
I plan on cautiously watching the economy, unemployment, real estate etc. and when the time seems right, possibly in 2 years (June 2012) we would lease our home for one year, move out to the islands and give it a shot.
If it isn't right for us, we'll return after a year. If it is right, we'll enter a longer lease or consider selling altogether.
If my mortgage is paid by a renter, and we save up a fair amount of cash, I can't see how we could lose giving it a try. Whats the worst that can happen? I'd still be doing the daily grind albeit on the island, right?
A 'vacation' is expensive. To have a short term move makes more sense.

We intend to find work, pay rent and live like the locals. This would give us a trial run of 'real life'. We do not intend to live like tourists.
I'm a master carpenter/ home remodelling contractor based in CT. We do mostly residential remodelling and additions, repairs, etc.
I have a impeccable work ethic, honest and reliable, with no drug or alchohol problems, excellent referalls, a 100% clean criminal and driving record.
I have 20 years experience in all phases of construction, both highend and modest, foundation to finish, and have worked as a jobsite foreman working directly with all trades involved, communicating firsthand with owners, architects and designers. Furthermore, we have NEVER advertised or had the need to even print business cards as all our business for 20 years has been direct refferal from previous customers. I am perfectly content with smaller projects/repairs and would not be interested in large scale development.
I simply wish to work so I may simply live. We intend to work, 'do the daily grind' and enjoy our surroundings. I do not intend to get rich, just to pay my way providing for my family and to be a model citizen and member of the community.
My wife has a CDL and is currently a school bus driver but would be content working in the tourist service sector.
Despite our living in an affluent area, our current life does not suit us well. We feel island life is where we belong. We are not materialistic people, do not shop or eat out often. We wish to live a more simple life and enjoy the outdoors with our children while we are still young, active and able.
We are very much outdoor people and feel most at home in nature. Our children are very active, adventurous, ethusiastic and open to new experiences.
Whether it was Belize, Paris, Jamaica or China our travels have proven that we prefer to live like locals, get down in the street with the people, shop at the local market, avoid tourist areas and activities and experience those places as if we actually lived there.
We are open to other cultures and readily accept people unlike us without predjudice or bias. Thruout my life I could always get along easily with people that were different than I. Unkind wealthy people who are ignorant and pretentious were my least favorite, but even they don't bother me much. They are just the least desirable to keep company with.
I have read much about the health care, the school system and island fever. I have my concerns but I'm willing to overlook those and take the good with the bad as our needs change year to year.

The high cost of living and the presence of ICE are a concern but here in CT we have a higher cost of living as well. My taxes on a 2400sq ft home are $700 plus PER MONTH, electric is steadily at $130-$200 in the summer, heating oil costs us $2,300 a year, gas is $3.85 a gallon, health insurance for the family runs me $900 per month w/ a $3,000 deductible. Heroin/opiate based pills are the drug of choice in a school of overeducated, overpriveledged students with a graduating class of 500.
The rural farming community that I grew up in is now a NYC suburb of ratrace commuters who value possesions, drive Cadiilac Escaldes and live in monstrous McMansions. My town has been over developed and overun with people of lesser values and respect for others. The "F*%k you, me first" and "Hey-look-at-me-aren't-I special" attitudes prevail and are spreading like the plague. I'm not being run out of town, but most of these people are not the type I would chose to have as neighbors.
Sadly, I see it as a generational problem, not a regional one. This is mainland America. So I fully understand the attitudes locals have towards mainlanders invading their turf, altering their culture and destroying their land!!!

A slower paced more meaningful existence in paradise is much more attractive to us than the activities and culture of the mainland. We don't care for shopping, travelling to the predictable American tourist destinations, the theatre, etc, etc.
Our activities would certainly include hiking, kayaking, mountainbiking and snorkelling/swimming with a future interest in surfing, SUP, and wind or kitesurfing.
No, I have never been to Hawaii. We do have friends there (Maui and Oahu) and know many others who have visited. The tropics/ beaches/ island life have always tempted us, therefore we are convinced that a one year move, diving headfirst, is the way to go.
The questions I have are:

-How much should we save to live comfortably the first year (eating at home, keeping it simple and owning 2 cars?)

- Are our prospects for a successful island move with a short term (1-5 years) or long term (20 years) stay good?

- Given a stronger economy, would a man like myself be capable of finding a decent job or possibly start a new remodelling business?

- What island do you think would best suit my family? What areas? (currently we are focused on Maui and Oahu does not interest us)

- What does one use for heathcare coverage?

- Is it possible to trade my services for rent or partial rent?

Thank you so much in advance. We are realistically weighing the pros and cons so we may make an educated and informed decision after much time, thought and research. We simply want to improve and simplify our lives while providing for our family and sharing the experience of living in paradise with our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times
You will find answers to many of your questions by browsing past threads on this forum. I will answer just one question, since I notice that you have "high deductible" health insurance.

After 6 months residency, if your family can pass the medical screening, you can get a "catastrophic care plan" from HMSA ($5,000 deductible, $6,000 max out of pocket), HSA-eligible, for $277.25/month (family coverage).

I suspect that might not be available for too much longer, with the new Obama-care rules (isn't medical underwriting prohibited after 2013 or so? and I think catastrophic care/high deductible policies are only OK for 'young adults', ugh), and/or that the premiums may go up, but for now it's a good option for us.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:03 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
It's hard to say where the construction industry will be in 2012. It's pretty flatline now, but things generally pick up after awhile although if it had been following past models, it should have picked up already. You may want to move over and work for someone else here for awhile, I'm sure our construction methods will be considerably different than those used on the East Coast.

A contractor's license from the mainland doesn't transfer over to here, but after you've put in your time working for a local company then you could get a Hawaii contractor's license and start a business. Check the contractor's licensing requirements, I'm just going on general hearsay so it would be best to look it up for yourself. A California contractor bought the house next to us and then when he wasn't able to shift his contractor's license he changed his mind about moving. By the time he had found all this out, the house prices had fallen so he wasn't able to sell, either.

See if you can bring enough for a year's worth of living here. If it works out, it should happen within that time frame.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
I would try to have at least 2500 bucks a month to live on, food, rent gas give or take. in a good economy you could find a job easier perhaps by the time you are ready it will be easier than now.
school may be a consideration for your older kids. I have no school age kids but from what I understand many parents think the schools kinda suck around here. sometimes mainland kids get picked on. however many do thrive so only you know if you think your kids could manage or not.
a quiet part of maui without a lot of tourist really doesn't exist anymore. everywhere you need to live, to be close by work and food stores are full of people, local and visitor alike. you can find quieter neighborhoods but this island is pretty populated as far as that goes. big island is way bigger so it feels like less people are there. kauai is smaller still. save up and give it a try.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM

10 posts, read 20,506 times
Thanks for the input. There is so much to think about, especially with the kids in mind. The amount of info/ varying topics on here are very helpful yet give me more questions than answers!!
I'm under the impression that Maui would be the better option, seems like Kauai and the BI have lesser prospects of sucess in my trade?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
I don't think your business can be relocated to Hawaii but you could probably find work as a carpenter if you are good. The residential market is flatline but I've heard there's some work still happening with Federal jobs. Oahu has the most work, but it has the highest living costs, too. Still, even if work does pick up a bit, there are a lot of local carpenters out of work and looking, generally business folks like to hire local folks first since they know the local people are likely to stick around for awhile and they won't have to spend the time and effort finding new workers and training them. It might be good to plan on not finding much work for the first six months just in case. But, that's just for the current economic times, things could totally change in a couple of years.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 PM

82 posts, read 205,408 times
As you may have heard our economy here in the islands is in a slump. I know you are focused on the neighbor islands (Kauai, Maui, Big Island) but if you need a decent paying job to take care of your family I would do my trial year on Oahu and check out the other islands once your here. Is your willing to drive a little you can rent a place on the windward side of Oahu and enjoy the surfing, hiking, you mentioned. Coming from CT the prices here may not shock you too much then. Your kids are young and a year in public elementary school here will not harm them. Plus any desirable private school here is big $$$$. As an option there are also some very good charter schools. Best of luck.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 12,145 times
I don't have any tips for you as I'm not a Hawaii resident, but I'd just like to say I can understand where you're coming from, and I think you and your family should go for it!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 17,941 times
We've recently moved to Big Island and if you need any advice, let me know. I'm self employed and we have 5 young children. It's been a fun experience!

lol

Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 AM

501 posts, read 1,191,787 times
Sometimes moving on the spur of the moment is much better than planning it all out. :-) We vacationed several years on Oahu, and finally on our last vacation spent there, we decided we were coming back home to Texas, packing up our 1200 sq ft 3 bedroom home, and taking the plunge of moving over. We had a huge yard sale, sold our furniture, packed up the remaining important stuff ourselves rather than hiring a company, contacted Matson for shipping our vehicle, contacted the UPS Store in Kapolei for a mailbox and sent our household goods over by USPS. Drove to Long Beach to ship our vehicle, boarded a plane, and for the next year, we lived in Aiea. Once we arrived, we got into a nice rental condo, although it was only 700 sq ft and 2 bedrooms, and found jobs. Absolutely loved every minute of living there. Then my hubby got transferred back to the mainland! :-( I thought I was going to die having to move to Phoenix after living in paradise. That was back in 2005. Well, here it is 5 years later. We have had to move several times (job related) But now, due to his current job as a flight attendant, he is able to live anywhere he wants and commute to work. Therefore, we are moving BACK TO PARADISE, and we can't wait to get there! We have already lined up a rental property and have just about everything packed up, ready to go in just 45 days. :-)

Sure, I'm not looking forward to paying high rent again, but for the serenity I know I'm going to be able to encounter once again, it's definitely worth it.

I have found that if you plan, and plan, and plan to work out a move that suits your lifestyle, it never works the way you expect it to. But if you jump right in and take that "leap of faith" there's nothing which can hold you back.

Good luck, however you decide to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii