Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanabear1103 View Post
Hey yurt girl, what are the costs to make a yurt compatible with hawaii weather? I'm looking into getting one, but having a hard time knowing which one is best, and how to do it without having to sacrifice too much funds. I don't wanna deal with all the permitting issues we have with Ohana Land, so a yurt was my first thought. hit me back if can, karahenderson3@gmail.com
I haven't seen Yurtgirl around here for a while, but in case she misses your question, you can get her contact info from her website. She's also got a pricing guide and lots of other info on her website:

Pricing · Yurts of Hawaii

And for those who might be interested, that's her yurt makai Highway 11 approaching Volcano from Hilo. Nice person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 01:48 AM

90 posts, read 279,802 times
If you have a permitted, residential structure AND you are on Ag land, then most Hawaii County codes now allow for an 'Accessory Structure' that doesn't need a permit, up to 600sf! Yee haw~

But don't think you're going to get away with a free structure on vacant land. You might. But codes are strict in their wording: You can have an accessory structure AFTER the residential structure has a permit. Call us and we'll be happy to talk story about the rules.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:49 AM

Thanks, OpenD! I don't frequent the site anymore, too much going on in real time. But I check in when I get a ping! <3

Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 AM

Hanabear, sorry for the delay! I just now saw your question. I think if you give me a call we'll be able to figure it all out. The yurts are very well adapted to all Hawaiian climates. Permitting is a case by case basis. Give us a call and we'll hash it out.

Permanent... Temporary... Grand or Simple... They're crazy cool like that.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,758 times
Yurt girl
I am a senior low on finances looking for a yurt.?
Please email me with any suggestions .
Mod cut: do not use personal information use DM

Last edited by Mikala43; 08-25-2015 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Since YurtGirl hasn't been on City-Data for nearly two years, why don't you just contact her directly? Her company is Yurts of Hawaii (Google it) and she has a Facebook page as well.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:36 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
BTW, yurts are not the least expensive method of housing. Many folks choose them because they are perceived as being the least expensive method to provide housing, but that isn't necessarily true.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 AM

Aloha Eymwoman1,

You should probably give us a call and then I can discuss all kinds of options with you. Yurts are about 1/2 the cost of a typical 'stick-built' house or many other forms of kit housing as well. The savings comes in with labor - a typical kit home of comparable size to our largest yurt will run you, say, 35k on the low end. But that doesn't include the footings needed on the foundation, or any labor or material. Nor does it include all the finish work, like painting, sanding, varnishing, etc. By the time you've paid for all that labor and materials, you've easily doubled your cost.

At about 40k on a yurt home, you've got the foundation, platform, yurt, all labor and materials, and very little finish work needed. So yes, tit for tat, they are actually some of the most affordable structures out there and don't let anyone tell you differently without backing up their claims.

What most people don't realize, however, is that if you're permitting (always recommended) the infrastructure costs are going to be relatively the same no matter what the structure. So your plumbing, electric, site prep, septic or cesspool, water catchment, drafting, permitting… all of these things will cost about the same whether Hotzcatz gets you into one of her houses, or I get you into a yurt.

Hope to speak with you soon, Aloha.

Melissa

Old 08-25-2015, 12:28 AM

PS - Yurts are booming on the Big Island. There are plenty of people who actually live in quality yurts, and have for many years, who can attest to their love of their homes and their love of the structure. If I were looking for yurt feedback before purchasing, those are the opinions I would most value.

Even outside of the Big Island, Nationwide, check out the yurtforum.com for lots of great info and feedback.

Last edited by YurtGirl; 08-25-2015 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: To add a reference link

Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,278 times
i'm dreaming up a scenario and wondering if its legal on the big island and how expensive.

16' basic yurt for family of 3

detached toilet and shower block with nonelectric composting toilet (sunmar or equivalent)

small renewable energy system

simple greywater system.

would a septic tank still be required for kitchen sink water? if so how big?

with owner builder permit how much could i do myself(i'm a builder in alaska and i do it all but i dont have any HI licences) --(do you need an electrician every time someone wants to touch a solar panel or flip a light switch, for example

also is water caught off a yurt with uv treatment safe for drinking (no chemicals picked up)?

basic setup for simple living on own land done fast and cheap, by myself, and fully legal. possible? from my research it seems the fully legal part is the challenge that might conflict with fast and cheap
thanks very much in advance. best wishes to all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii