Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM

124 posts, read 431,949 times

Advertisements

Today I was talking with an ancient friend who advised me that one should never move to a location where one enjoys vacationing. He said they would forever be disappointed with the place.

I am curious about those who enjoyed Hawai'i as a vacation location; moved to the islands later, but eventually became disappointed.

Any sage advice to those individuals who profress they may find themselves wanting to move to Hawai'i after a vacation stint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
I don't think the people who move away from, and were disappointed with, Hawaii will be reading this relocation forum...they are probably over in the Texas or Florida or Ohio forum, giving advice on how to move there.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
I know dozens, probably hundreds of people who decided to move here part time or full time after having spent several vacations on the Big Island. The ones who decided to move back to the mainland (a few) did so for 1. family too far away 2. Financial problems occurred 3. Desired better education for their growing children 4. Needed better medical care. Most left with a good deal of sadness and the hopes of returning one day.

I know that I never get tired of seeing Pololu lookout, Akaka Falls, whatever little bit of beach is my current "favorite", the sight of coffee farms, the latest news of the volcano or whale season, etc.

I think painting a move of any kind with that broad a brush is just too general to apply to anyone.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
Today I was talking with an ancient friend who advised me that one should never move to a location where one enjoys vacationing. He said they would forever be disappointed with the place.

I am curious about those who enjoyed Hawai'i as a vacation location; moved to the islands later, but eventually became disappointed.

Any sage advice to those individuals who profress they may find themselves wanting to move to Hawai'i after a vacation stint?
I first came here fifty four years ago on a military assignment. Not exactly "vacation" but it was temporary.

I've never become disappointed.

Hank

Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
I've been here nearly a half-year, and it's still a beautiful, magical place. Sure, you're not on vacation every day, but that isn't the reality unless you are retired and/or wealthy.

When you move to Hawaii, you find other vacation spots. Other islands, the mainland.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
When you're at work, sitting at home watching TV, or grocery shopping, or whatever... Hawaii is just like anywhere else. It's only when you're at the beach, or surfing, or fishing, that it's different from wherever you probably live right now. So on weekends you can enjoy the same activities you do on vacation... 104 days a year. Not bad but don't think it's the entirety of living here.

OK, there are some people I know who are convinced that sunsets here are especially beautiful and post pictures on FB all the time. I've lived in 3 countries, 3 states, and on 4 oceans and I promise you that sunsets are beautiful EVERYWHERE.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
When you're at work, sitting at home watching TV, or grocery shopping, or whatever... Hawaii is just like anywhere else.
The difference is when I am at work, sitting at home watching TV, grocery shopping or whatever else here, I am cold!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
The difference is when I am at work, sitting at home watching TV, grocery shopping or whatever else here, I am cold!

At work I have to use a space heater to not freeze because they keep the AC so ****ing cold.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
At work I have to use a space heater to not freeze because they keep the AC so ****ing cold.
At least you can go outside and warm up. Life is good!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM

129 posts, read 389,949 times
So you have a great vacation in Hawaii, and then you move there...

Guess what -- You ain't on vacation now! You are going to have to deal with all the day to day hassles you'd have to deal with anywhere else.

A vacationer has a completely different experience than a resident has.

Could be better, could be worse. Just that living in a place is entirely different than visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: