Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 AM

16 posts, read 31,412 times

Advertisements

what are my options.

17 years old no hs degree but am very smart and can work

read write and talk

Thanks alot

Old 06-10-2009, 11:35 AM

19 posts, read 95,515 times
Do you have friends or family where you are planning to go? Do you have any skills from school or a previous job, or your regular lifestyle? Are you planning to get your HS diploma or GED? And how much is little money? If you answer no, no, no, and very - you could end up living on the beach eating out of trash cans. Sorry if it sounds harsh but it is a reality. Many people work 2 jobs just to pay rent, and not having a diploma or any real employable skill (just guessing there based on your age) mixed with the current state of the economy you may have trouble finding work to start with. My advice would be to do some research, get your diploma or GED, learn a trade or skill save some money then plan your move. I know it doesn't sound like fun, but it is reality. My family of 3 is planning on moving to Hawaii when I finish school (starting nursing school this year), but we also aren't moving until we have saved about 50K through savings, sale of our house, car and furnishings etc. Sometimes you have to take the time to plan or you could find yourself stuck somewhere you don't want to be.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeginSchool View Post
Do you have friends or family where you are planning to go? Do you have any skills from school or a previous job, or your regular lifestyle? Are you planning to get your HS diploma or GED? And how much is little money? If you answer no, no, no, and very - you could end up living on the beach eating out of trash cans. Sorry if it sounds harsh but it is a reality. Many people work 2 jobs just to pay rent, and not having a diploma or any real employable skill (just guessing there based on your age) mixed with the current state of the economy you may have trouble finding work to start with. My advice would be to do some research, get your diploma or GED, learn a trade or skill save some money then plan your move. I know it doesn't sound like fun, but it is reality. My family of 3 is planning on moving to Hawaii when I finish school (starting nursing school this year), but we also aren't moving until we have saved about 50K through savings, sale of our house, car and furnishings etc. Sometimes you have to take the time to plan or you could find yourself stuck somewhere you don't want to be.
I agree not to be harsh but its tough time in Hawaii right now even harder than on the Mainland.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:03 PM

16 posts, read 31,412 times
thanks for the posts, but im a radical and i think life is simple, i want to be by natural beauty and money does not make me

Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 PM

214 posts, read 961,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbomac05 View Post
thanks for the posts, but im a radical and i think life is simple, i want to be by natural beauty and money does not make me

Your only option then would be to live out on the beach eating out of trash cans like the other 2 posters said. The unfortunate part is, I don't think its legal to be homeless on the beach.....that being said you will prob end up in the city....nowhere near natural beauty......

Old 06-10-2009, 04:11 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
I have been reading some of your posts. You are putting yourself in a very tough position. You need basic sustanance, a place to live, food to eat and a shirt on your back. Are you prepared to live a tough life doing odd jobs, (construction cleanup, ditchdigging, maybe fast food) just so you can live in a shack and eat food out of a dollar store? If your answer is yes, than also remember that your health will rapidly deteriote and you will need medical attention. With no health insurance you will be forced to use emergency rooms and free health clinics.

If I wished to live an easy life, I would spend the next ten years getting an education, a job and then living in a cheap house eating lower priced food and not build up any debt. You will find life easier with an education and no debt, hands down, ask anybody on this board. Yes there are people that have done without, but that is a very small minority.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:11 PM

184 posts, read 658,802 times
If you really want to live on the beach, near natural, tropical beauty, with much less of a risk of crime, then go to Barbados (In the West Indies). However, I'd check to see if a foreigner can do what many guys like you do (live on or near the beach, spearfish and harvest shells and coconuts). Unlike Hawaii, Barbados' beaches are all public, so as long as you behave, you're left alone. But you may not be allowed to do it if you're not Barbadian.

Just because I write this doesn't mean I think this is a good idea, at your age. You can become a victim to those who prey on homeless, dreamy-eyed teens and then end up in a shipping container on your way to life as a slave! (Don't believe me? Go to humantrafficking.org).

My 18 y.o. kid is in Hawaii now (his second trip there) but the only way he was allowed (at 17) to go was by assuring us, his parents, that his girlfriend (who lives there) really had a place for him to stay (her parents'). We checked everything out and it was still pretty scary.

Luckily, he had a place to stay, money saved, work experience (and a HS diploma) and someone to show him around. You have none of those...so yes, you probably will end up homeless on the beach...not nearly as fun as it sounds!

Think twice! At 17, I wanted to go to Ireland with my friend and live on her family's subsistence farm. I'm SO glad I went to college instead!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 PM

19 posts, read 95,515 times
From your response I get the feeling you wanted someone to say, "hey it's all good, you don't need any skills or a diploma to make it happen!" But no one is going to tell you that, that has any idea what they are talking about. Sorry. If you do decide to move to Hawaii anyway, buy an open-ended return ticket just in case. So you can always go back home if it isn't what you want it to be.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 PM

43 posts, read 139,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbomac05 View Post
what are my options.

17 years old no hs degree but am very smart and can work

read write and talk

Thanks alot
Hate to tell you this. Not so much.

If you were as smart as you think you are, you would either finish high school and get your diploma or, get a GED and go get a marketable skill.

A lot of people can read write and talk. Be sure to put that on your job
application form.

I would tell you to go join the Military but they are looking for people
that know how to follow through on life's challenges and being a radical
doesn't exactly fit into their idea of a few good men.

If you do go to Hawaii, just don't be bugging me begging for money when
I'm walking down Kalakaua Avenue. I'm there to have a good time,
not support your concept of the simple life.

Sounds like a dumb plan to me but hey.....

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
There's always farm work. Try WOOFing, they will feed you a meal a day and give you a place to sleep in exchange for a few hours of work a day. It probably wouldn't be enough to completely support you, but it would give you a starting point.

WWOOF Hawaii - Willing Workers on Organic Farms (http://www.wwoofhawaii.org/content/start.html - broken link)

Or, on today's Craig's List, someone is looking for a coffee farmer:
1-acre coffee orchard for lease (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/grd/1215889736.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: