Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:05 PM

11 posts, read 35,937 times

Advertisements

hi again, i post before in here about moving to hawaii and now thinking of opening a food truck business and like to have advise in where i should do that. for me its ok to not be in a big city but i should be where is tourist or people living near by.
so what is the island for me?
thank you for your help
SG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
What kind of "food truck" business are you thinking of? A plate lunch truck or a truck that delivers groceries to folks? If you are going to do a plate lunch truck, then you'd need a certain density of population to serve lunches to. If you were doing a grocery delivery truck, then you'd need a certain distance between the source and the customers to make it worthwhile for them to have someone else go get the stuff.

Here on the Big Island, there aren't that many plate lunch trucks, but that's probably because the density of population isn't high enough. When anyone in our neighborhood goes to Costco, they pick up stuff for everyone since it's so far away. We also order in bulk from our food co-op and get a pallet or two of stuff delivered to one of our hui members carport once a month.

There are also the side of the road huli-huli chicken folks. That's sort of a food trailer since the barbeque rack they huli the chicken over is on a trailer. Other folks sell various home prepared food items from the side of the road, although that's not a consistent thing and I don't know what the legality of that is.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
You'd probably get more business by setting up in one of the many farmers markets. Spaces are usually rented for $10 to $20 a day. There are vendors that are always set up in the same spot, renting by the month to get return customers. One guy I know makes more money selling tamales every Saturday and Sunday than he earns in his regular job.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Hawaii is not known for being business-friendly and the regulations involving food service are strict, at least on Oahu. Food trucks have to have access to a certified kitchen for food prep. Do your research and you just may find a niche. Good luck!. Good, cheap food is needed everywhere but you'll have a lot of competition in Hawaii..

Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 PM

1,019 posts, read 589,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Hawaii is not known for being business-friendly and the regulations involving food service are strict, at least on Oahu. Food trucks have to have access to a certified kitchen for food prep. Do your research and you just may find a niche. Good luck!. Good, cheap food is needed everywhere but you'll have a lot of competition in Hawaii..
It is so sad that Hawaii is not business-friendly. Without business, it is hard to have much else. Oh well.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What kind of "food truck" business are you thinking of? A plate lunch truck or a truck that delivers groceries to folks? If you are going to do a plate lunch truck, then you'd need a certain density of population to serve lunches to. If you were doing a grocery delivery truck, then you'd need a certain distance between the source and the customers to make it worthwhile for them to have someone else go get the stuff.

Here on the Big Island, there aren't that many plate lunch trucks, but that's probably because the density of population isn't high enough. When anyone in our neighborhood goes to Costco, they pick up stuff for everyone since it's so far away. We also order in bulk from our food co-op and get a pallet or two of stuff delivered to one of our hui members carport once a month.

There are also the side of the road huli-huli chicken folks. That's sort of a food trailer since the barbeque rack they huli the chicken over is on a trailer. Other folks sell various home prepared food items from the side of the road, although that's not a consistent thing and I don't know what the legality of that is.
hi and thanks for the reply. yes i'm thinking of a plate lunch truck.
you live on the big Island? so you mean that the population there its pretty dispach all over the island? do you have an area there where you get lot of tourist near a great beach?
thanks

Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 AM

hi, in which isalnd are you living in? where is you best tourist area there?
thanks

Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 AM

I see. thanks for the info about the certified kitchen for food prep. i will check that up. what about the best area there to put my business, is other tourist place even away from Honolulu in the island?
thanks

Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
we have food trucks in maui located in "local" work areas. I rarely see a food truck in tourist areas if ever. you do need all the normal health and civil licenses

Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 AM

ah realy? i thought it would work great to have food truck near a touristic place. cool for the info though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: